Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Agreed! The other route is having us taxpayers pay off the balance of the loan....terrific.

Here's a plan--If you do not want your tax dollars paying off loans--quit paying taxes!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Your debt is not our responsibility, nor is it the governments responsibility. What ever happened to personal responsibility?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:48 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Here's a plan--If you do not want your tax dollars paying off loans--quit paying taxes!!
Yes... I would absolutely agree

BUT the government won't allow that would they???
Else they would have NOONE to pay the debt FOR THEM...
again even with the government (taxpayers HAVE TO PAY)...
there is no say in that from the taxpayers (big government you know).

DO YOU *yourself* know how to NOT pay the TAX from the monies you earned (not in welfare state)????

IF there is a "secret" pray tell us... I am sure many if not all would happily NOT PAY **this debt of others**.
Which will leave the debt incur(er) to pay that debt themselves don't you think???

Old 10-27-2011, 11:33 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
What ever happened to personal responsibility?
Yes, but also -- what ever happened to due diligence on the part of the lender?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:35 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And if you don't like air pollution, stop breathing!

Old 10-27-2011, 11:43 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
70k with no degree? The compare for you is making less with no debt from college.
My point is that was not my personal situation. I incurred $30K in debt my freshman year alone. So when I dropped out of college (back in 2003), I had $70K at that point.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:43 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Where is the money coming from?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:29 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Yes, but also -- what ever happened to due diligence on the part of the lender?
When you borrow money, you are responsible for paying it back. When I bought a house, I became responsible for paying it back. That's why I didn't buy the maximum amount they told me I could qualify for, in fact I only spent 1/3 of what I qualified for. Same with buying a car. I could have purchased a luxury car, but I chose a Chevrolet because I was responsible for paying it back. I could have qualified for the loan for a luxury car, but I chose something less expensive because I was responsible for it. Not the government, nor the the taxpayers of this country. If people aren't going to be able to pay for all their college education at an expensive university, maybe they need to be attending community colleges for the first couple of years, so they don't have to go so far into debt. If people are so poor that they to be on public assistance, then surely there is some kind of grants and scholarships available. Both of my kids universities have tons of money available for the underprivileged students. It takes a bit more effort to get it than just applying for a loan, but it's free money. But I guess, with this stupid plan, its free money anyway!
Your bad decision, not mine. Why should I be responsible for it. DH and I have already paid our student loans and are getting our kids through college now. We will have paid for 4 college educations, including 2 advanced degrees. It is beyond wrong to expect us to pay your bills too.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-27-2011 at 02:44 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 01:41 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
My point is that was not my personal situation. I incurred $30K in debt my freshman year alone. So when I dropped out of college (back in 2003), I had $70K at that point.
The compare is either not going to college or going and what debt it leaves you regardless if you graduate or not. The comparison point is zero debt and what you'd be making if you never went to college.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:03 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Your debt is not our responsibility, nor is it the governments responsibility. What ever happened to personal responsibility?
It died with Lehman Brothers and Ken Lay (EnRon) and the Keating 5....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities