U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-07-2011, 08:51 PM

1,214 posts, read 605,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Sorry for not being clearer. I was pointing out that one place that will not hire non-native born Americans is Homeland Security and they are hiring.
Rubbish DHS has a ton of non native born US Citizens. So does practically every agency. Citizenship is a requirement, whether acquire by birth or naturalization.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:33 PM

12,167 posts, read 9,535,902 times
When the US government "out-sources" sensitive work to a private business it puts constraints on the businesses, it does not allow them to hire whoever they want to work on the project.

Heck even at major universities there are projects that require serious security clearance, which almost always requires that all students and staff working on it are citizens.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,979,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The larger issue, I think, is that there's a HUGE demand for people with STEM degrees in the U.S.
Yes Science grads are in such high demand that the pharmaceuticals industry has been laying them off by the tens of thousands, only 40% of grads are even employed full time, half of those are in crappy dead-end tech jobs in academia, and many of them overall are seeking careers in unrelated industries. Please don't parrot that bull excrement.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...ZsmTh1sGmtVr8L
http://chemjobber.blogspot.com/2011/...good-news.html

Old 11-10-2011, 12:13 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,232,564 times
never mind - the linked articles answer my question . . .

Old 11-10-2011, 10:13 PM

9,453 posts, read 7,180,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Yes Science grads are in such high demand that the pharmaceuticals industry has been laying them off by the tens of thousands, only 40% of grads are even employed full time, half of those are in crappy dead-end tech jobs in academia, and many of them overall are seeking careers in unrelated industries. Please don't parrot that bull excrement.

[Vanishing science jobs--Josh Bloom - NYPOST.com
Chemjobber: Well, that's not good news
Well, chemists have had problems for quite some time in terms of career opportunities. However, that's not so for many other STEM fields.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:19 PM

26,365 posts, read 51,778,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Using humans introduces the possibility for corruption or mistakes. Computers cannot be corrupted and are far less likely to make mistakes. Ergo, security jobs are more likely to be replaced by computers. Not less.

You are 100% correct but your post has nothing to do with a security clearance.

Security clearance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-11-2011, 02:01 AM

674 posts, read 475,544 times
Binge drinking, partying and enough to "pass".

Old 11-11-2011, 02:12 AM

18,982 posts, read 11,139,944 times
Quote:
Well, chemists have had problems for quite some time in terms of career opportunities. However, that's not so for many other STEM fields.
And people with chemistry backgrounds can be found in a host of fields. Pharma has certainly been taking a beating, tho. But, so has many other industries. MS thinks his pot of gold will be found at the end of the accounting rainbow, but the complaints in the employment forum argue that point. Until the economy turns around quite a few industries are at risk.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Biology too

I'm sure there are just tons of jobs for astronomers, physicists usually end up going into high math finance or technology. I can't think of one branch of science that has great prospects.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
MS thinks his pot of gold will be found at the end of the accounting rainbow, but the complaints in the employment forum argue that point. Until the economy turns around quite a few industries are at risk.
I'm not saying a pot of gold but at this point almost anything would be better I even applied to be a Chicago Police Officer.

Also I'm at the point where I just hate science. I don't even read science papers anymore, I start reading them and there is a voice in the back of my head screaming wasted effort working for nothing. I hate the company I work for. I go the meetings where they talk about what they are doing and I have to pretend to be interested when in fact I am screaming in my mind I don't give a frak. I hope the company goes bankrupt. In fact I can't say I have respect or affection for any American companies anymore.

Right now I am just saving money in my savings account to have enough money to get out of science. I'll have $100k by the end of the year. I'd consider a job with the federal govt. but otherwise I'd never work in science for an American company again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities