Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:22 PM

977 posts, read 1,814,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It depends on the school you go to ... but at most schools 3.25 isn't great. If we have a system with inflated grading, we mustn't accept B as a "great" average. Many universities give an A or B just for submitting a valid paper without any errors.
3.25 is average, it's not bad. Why does a student have to have a great GPA to qualify for Pell Grants? Other students can get a lower than average GPA and still get to attend school while poorer students are held to a higher standard to remain in school since sometimes a Pell Grant is all that's keeping the student in school.

Whatever GPA is necessary to keep a "regular" student in school should be the GPA necessary to keep Pell Grants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 12:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
3.25 is average, it's not bad. Why does a student have to have a great GPA to qualify for Pell Grants? Other students can get a lower than average GPA and still get to attend school while poorer students are held to a higher standard to remain in school since sometimes a Pell Grant is all that's keeping the student in school.

Whatever GPA is necessary to keep a "regular" student in school should be the GPA necessary to keep Pell Grants.
If there was no Pell Grant, you could have attended a school like mine which would have funded you 100%. And you would have gotten a decent education for sure. There's other sources of funding available.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:42 PM

977 posts, read 1,814,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If there was no Pell Grant, you could have attended a school like mine which would have funded you 100%. And you would have gotten a decent education for sure. There's other sources of funding available.
Sure and I would've attended a lower tier school and would most likely not gotten the job I have. Research shows that attending elite schools pays off for students from poor backgrounds though not for other students.

Besides that, how is that fair? So poor students should just resign themselves to attending lower ranked schools even if they're smart and talented enough to be accepted to Harvard?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Sure and I would've attended a lower tier school and would most likely not gotten the job I have. Research shows that attending elite schools pays off for students from poor backgrounds though not for other students.

Besides that, how is that fair? So poor students should just resign themselves to attending lower ranked schools even if they're smart and talented enough to be accepted to Harvard?
My school that would have funded you 100% would have been good enough.... as good as any other school.

I agree with you, school matters.

Harvard has good funding as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities