Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 PM

19,209 posts, read 16,696,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I wonder if the grants will go up as a result of this. I don't mind tuition going up as long as grants and scholarships keep up.

I wouldn't mind that either, NJBest. But .... grants come from the govt and they don't have the money to spare. Scholarships usually come from private entities and foundations. Unless the wealthiest contribute more, there won't be enough money to match the applications.

This entire increase is nothing more than good old-fashioned greed. An education should not put a person into debt for the remainder of their natural life. It's disgusting to see this happening to the younger generation. If trustees who continue to approve these increases don't wake up, they're going to find no one applying to college and then where will they be? Broke. It would serve them right, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 07:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I wouldn't mind that either, NJBest. But .... grants come from the govt and they don't have the money to spare. Scholarships usually come from private entities and foundations. Unless the wealthiest contribute more, there won't be enough money to match the applications.

This entire increase is nothing more than good old-fashioned greed. An education should not put a person into debt for the remainder of their natural life. It's disgusting to see this happening to the younger generation. If trustees who continue to approve these increases don't wake up, they're going to find no one applying to college and then where will they be? Broke. It would serve them right, imo.
Well, we should abolish government grants... convert them into 0% interest loans.

Grants typically come from the university endowments and private entities as you mentioned. The wealthy do contribute a significant amount. Good schools have endowments in the billions.

My alma mater has a no-debt policy for their students in which they will fund your education via grants if you cannot afford to yourself. My GF's school funded her via merit-based academic scholarships offered from the school itself.

There's plenty of opportunity to go to school debt-free... many just choose not to.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:47 PM

Sure has heck, something is going to have to change. Otherwise, it will be only the wealthiest attending college. CSU was once a great way to get an education at an affordable price. Those days are long gone.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:25 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Sure has heck, something is going to have to change. Otherwise, it will be only the wealthiest attending college. CSU was once a great way to get an education at an affordable price. Those days are long gone.
I have a 12 and 14 yo that are most certainly college bound. I've already started having "the talk" with my 14yo about college costs and debt etc.

I've discussed state, private options, scholarships and options like attending something like the naval academy or doing ROTC for a free education.

Around here we have one of the best jr. colleges in the country so we are fortunate to have a fairly low-cost option on the table for them to complete their first 2 years or so of study.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:59 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HereonMars,

I must be living on another planet too... I read your article about CSU raising the tuition to $5970 a year (that is about the same as the Univerity of Massachusetts, for residents).
For that price you can get a 4-year degree for about the price of a Toyota Camry, and that degree will give you opportunities throughout your life (assuming you pick a viable field of study).
Only the wealthiest attend college? Could you afford one Camry in your entire life? I would not assume that being able to do that makes one wealthy. I never looked at state schools, so I just learned this info from reading this thread.
Tuition at UMass Medical School is $8352 (granted there are a lot of other fees, since by the time you go there, you are no longer a dependent of your parents, and need to buy health insurance, but then again you are going to end up an MD).
As the OP stated the average debt is around $25K, that is about the same as if you paid nothing for going to CSU, and took all the expenses as a loan.
CSU, UMass, most state schools are an absolute bargain, when you look at the alternatives. A private school can easily cost 6-8 times as much.
I consider $6K a year spent on education as the best money you will ever spend.
Where I went to school, $6K would only keep you as a student for 3.8 weeks. Was it worth it? Well, maybe, but there are also many fine state schools in the country. (The trick is you want to be a resident of the state, or it will cost close to a private school).

Old 11-17-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I have a 12 and 14 yo that are most certainly college bound. I've already started having "the talk" with my 14yo about college costs and debt etc.

I've discussed state, private options, scholarships and options like attending something like the naval academy or doing ROTC for a free education.

Around here we have one of the best jr. colleges in the country so we are fortunate to have a fairly low-cost option on the table for them to complete their first 2 years or so of study.
Just keep in mind that not all 4-year institutions accept transfers (mine didn't). So it's best to make a 4-year plan from the beginning. If that plan is 2 years at jr college, and 2 years at 4-year college, and everything lines up, great. Just a little heads up.

I have hears of students that go to Jr college and try to transfer into my university and get instant rejection due to having attended college at another institution.

I personally think it's best to go to a 4-year college that will provide you with a good financial package, but there are other well-suited options.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HereonMars,

I must be living on another planet too... I read your article about CSU raising the tuition to $5970 a year (that is about the same as the Univerity of Massachusetts, for residents).
For that price you can get a 4-year degree for about the price of a Toyota Camry, and that degree will give you opportunities throughout your life (assuming you pick a viable field of study).
Only the wealthiest attend college? Could you afford one Camry in your entire life? I would not assume that being able to do that makes one wealthy. I never looked at state schools, so I just learned this info from reading this thread.
Tuition at UMass Medical School is $8352 (granted there are a lot of other fees, since by the time you go there, you are no longer a dependent of your parents, and need to buy health insurance, but then again you are going to end up an MD).
As the OP stated the average debt is around $25K, that is about the same as if you paid nothing for going to CSU, and took all the expenses as a loan.
CSU, UMass, most state schools are an absolute bargain, when you look at the alternatives. A private school can easily cost 6-8 times as much.
I consider $6K a year spent on education as the best money you will ever spend.
Where I went to school, $6K would only keep you as a student for 3.8 weeks. Was it worth it? Well, maybe, but there are also many fine state schools in the country. (The trick is you want to be a resident of the state, or it will cost close to a private school).
Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning but your opening comment sounded a little condescending. I hope I am wrong. If I'm not, all I can say is please don't do that. I have never been disrespectful to anyone on this site and I don't like it when someone disrespects me or my silly screen name.

As for my comments about the vote to increase tuition. I still believe in this current economy, now is not the time for colleges to add more debt onto the backs of its students and their families.

I found the following very interesting ....

College costs: Find out how much college costs - Calculator - CNNMoney

Old 11-17-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning but your opening comment sounded a little condescending. I hope I am wrong. If I'm not, all I can say is please don't do that. I have never been disrespectful to anyone on this site and I don't like it when someone disrespects me or my silly screen name.

As for my comments about the vote to increase tuition. I still believe in this current economy, now is not the time for colleges to add more debt onto the backs of its students and their families.

I found the following very interesting ....

College costs: Find out how much college costs - Calculator - CNNMoney
That calculator can only be so accurate... but it's a fair place to start.

So let's look at my school, which boasts an annual cost of $50, 269 (That's two camrys per year, if we're counting).

Now select the income range that includes the US Median income ($48,000 to $75,000).

MONEY'S ESTIMATED COST after receipt of grants and scholarships for one year $6,400.

Keep in mind that this does not include loans. So the maximum debt at my school after 4 years would be $27,200. LESS than the tuition price listed on books for a single year.

So let's play with the numbers here. On paper, my school costs $201,076 for all 4 years. But in actuality, the median income household has to pay just 13% of that.

So we can't use published rates as a measure of how much school costs.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:58 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Just keep in mind that not all 4-year institutions accept transfers (mine didn't). So it's best to make a 4-year plan from the beginning. If that plan is 2 years at jr college, and 2 years at 4-year college, and everything lines up, great. Just a little heads up.

I have hears of students that go to Jr college and try to transfer into my university and get instant rejection due to having attended college at another institution.

I personally think it's best to go to a 4-year college that will provide you with a good financial package, but there are other well-suited options.
Good points. You need to find a juco with a program that maps into a 4yr school if you choose that route....or at least be aware of the other items you mentioned.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:00 PM

That's good information, NJBest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities