Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 03:32 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times

Advertisements

is a HUGE myth that keeps perpetuating the oversupply of science and engineering PhDs. If you actually look at who is calling for more STEM degrees it is law organizations that get huge amounts of profits pulling in foreign students with stem degrees, businesses that would like to have an oversupply of scientists and engineers so they can keep wages low, and universities that need thousands of low paying post-docs and grad students to keep their research going with very low labor costs. It's an exploitative system, it isn't that Americans aren't smart enough to study engineering and science, it's rather that they are too smart to study it. Why go into fields that are dead ends and low paying?

Is America's Science Education Gap Caused By Career Planning Fears? - Miller-McCune

Quote:
It’s not insufficient schooling or a shortage of scientists. It’s a lack of job opportunities. Americans need the reasonable hope that spending their youth preparing to do science will provide a satisfactory career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 03:45 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
is a HUGE myth that keeps perpetuating the oversupply of science and engineering PhDs. If you actually look at who is calling for more STEM degrees it is law organizations that get huge amounts of profits pulling in foreign students with stem degrees, businesses that would like to have an oversupply of scientists and engineers so they can keep wages low, and universities that need thousands of low paying post-docs and grad students to keep their research going with very low labor costs. It's an exploitative system, it isn't that Americans aren't smart enough to study engineering and science, it's rather that they are too smart to study it. Why go into fields that are dead ends and low paying?

Is America's Science Education Gap Caused By Career Planning Fears? - Miller-McCune
Except that engineering has some of the highest paying undergrad degrees...

Petroleum Engineering $97,900 $155,000
Chemical Engineering $64,500 $109,000
Electrical Engineering (EE) $61,300 $103,000
Materials Science & Engineering $60,400 $103,000
Aerospace Engineering $60,700 $102,000
Computer Engineering (CE) $61,800 $101,000
Physics $49,800 $101,000
Applied Mathematics $52,600 $98,600
Computer Science (CS) $56,600 $97,900
Nuclear Engineering $65,100 $97,800
Biomedical Engineering (BME) $53,800 $97,800

Best Undergrad College Degrees By Salary

Old 11-11-2011, 03:59 PM

143 posts, read 378,484 times
Quote:

I'm still kind of amused that you think an engineering degree is 'low paying'

Old 11-11-2011, 04:42 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
It's an exploitative system, it isn't that Americans aren't smart enough to study engineering and science, it's rather that they are too smart to study it.
Yep, that's so American lol.

eta: a bit of back reading provided me with some insight. A 35k/yr QC chemist. I'm surprised they're not all outsourced by now.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 11-11-2011 at 05:18 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
The article, as lengthy as it is, focuses almost completely on opportunities (or the lack thereof) in academia. I wonder why.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:34 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Honestly I think part of the issue here is that people are mistaking STEM degree programs as some sort of vocational training and become disenfranchised when reality confronts them....that is when they find out that they actually have to talent, work at getting a good career, etc after graduation.

I remember as an undergrad being dumbfounded at people selling their textbooks in physics, differential eq, computer science, etc. I mean, did they believe that after the test they wouldn't have to use it anymore? I like to think these are the people that aren't finding meaningful jobs....

Old 11-12-2011, 10:37 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Except that engineering has some of the highest paying undergrad degrees...
Don't bother, they explain this apparent contradiction by noting that these are just the special lucky people that got good jobs.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:06 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Honestly I think part of the issue here is that people are mistaking STEM degree programs as some sort of vocational training and become disenfranchised when reality confronts them....that is when they find out that they actually have to talent, work at getting a good career, etc after graduation.
Yes, as has been mentioned on this forum a million times now. I think it's a large part of the issue, especially for people with BS and MS degrees.

Quote:
I remember as an undergrad being dumbfounded at people selling their textbooks in physics, differential eq, computer science, etc. I mean, did they believe that after the test they wouldn't have to use it anymore? I like to think these are the people that aren't finding meaningful jobs....
As an OT aside, my dh and I have special bookcases for all our text books and we hold monthly chemistry nights. I can buy any text I want at work, but it's a thing we do together and it's nice.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:05 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
I'm at the bottom of the totem pole on this debate but I seriously think there's a low number of graduates and people pursuing STEM related degrees due to lack of resources and excessive time crunches.
By this I mean that while there are plenty of talented people out there that can soak up knowledge like a sponge, there are those of us that see math/science related degrees as the cream-of-the-crop, but are horribly slow at the "building blocks" ourselves.
The way I see it there should be more instructors, more tutoring options made available and on-demand(as opposed to seeing a booked-up appointment-only schedule), and perhaps more time to cover things in math/science related courses.

I for one have a knack for how things work and how to make them from scratch. So engineering of some sort always looked like an appealing academic to go after.
I just hate not being able to get college algebra down after failing 4 times and then being told I'm not allowed to take it at that particular school anymore.
If I pay my own money for it, too bad, I'm getting it done.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:47 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I sold every overpriced text book that I could as an undergrad (and tried my damnedest to buy used books) since I had to pay my own way and could go to the library and get much better resources while in school. The only books I currently have in my stem are first editions from about a hundred years back that were given to me and are nothing more than antiquities. Anyone studying any of these subjects now can find much more relevant info online, or download pdfs or lectures without spending hundreds of dollars on a textbook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities