Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:38 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
That $54k salary betters some of the 4 year college majors... My point is that, while the OP is offensive to belittle Accounting majors, it is disingenuous (and also offensive) for the college educated to belittle community college/certificate graduates like the OP's sister and state she'll forever be stuck making around $21/hr. Why must people stereotype her when they do not even know her capabilities? This seems very elitist and condescending. If she truly "thinks outside the box," there are many paths she could take besides the ones I listed, and they may even involve having her employer pay for another degree.

One may identify risks in any field. I think the difference between the successful and unsuccessful is not the 2 yr degree vs. the 4 yr degree. The difference between the successful vs. the unsuccessful is the ability to "think outside the box."

I just know too many highly successful business owners with great ideas and merely a 2 year degree (e.g. plumbers, network consultants, beauty shop owners, HVAC suppliers, website designers, restaurant owners, etc.). I also know many struggling Masters/PhD degree holders with a lot of debt and no job or a job that pays very little.

But maybe I think differently abour career. My purpose has never been to educate myself in order to pursue a career path defined by someone else and it may be hard for me to relate to this.
I really don't disagree with you on that point. It's not the minimum salary that's up for debate here--it's the maximum. Sure, a person with a degree in social work or something similar will make a comparable salary, or even less leaving school. What's more, someone who is a bonehead might rack up tons in student loan debt. No question.

What happens, however, is that a degreed person with average initiative will begin to outstrip even a motivated non-degreed person over time. I don't think that's really debatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 12:57 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
What happens, however, is that a degreed person with average initiative will begin to outstrip even a motivated non-degreed person over time. I don't think that's really debatable.
I don't think that is always true, but I work mainly with salespeople and business owners so maybe I have a different perspective. E.g I hire sales engineers. The majority have a BS degree in engineering. However, I've also hired a Tech (w/a 2 year degree) who wanted to move into sales. He had such natural sales ability and drive, it was a no brainer. He has outperformed all the other salespeople and makes very lucrative commission now. I also think it (2 yr vs 4 yr degree is our topic, not degree vs. no degree) makes little difference if your intent is to own your own business. Many 2 yr degrees are good preparation for business ownership which could be very lucrative in the long-run.

And even if your above statement were always true, I do not see a post where the OP stated that his sister wanted to work for the same employer for 10+ years for minimum raises and not pursue any other educational or career options. Seems like posters on this thread are assuming her career is at a standstill for 10+ years. Why are they assuming this? I find this odd. I do not assume that someone who started with a 2 year degree has less motivation to achieve career/financial/educational success than others. They just may be taking a different path to get there. I know many people who started with a 2 year degree and then had their employer pay for their BS or MBA. Seems like a pretty smart financial strategy.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 11-30-2011 at 01:17 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 03:49 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Why do many assume the sister will still be making around $21/hr after many years and only the traditional college graduates (e.g. accounting) will be upwardly mobile? We know nothing about the sister. Who says she is going to stay in one field her entire career? E.g. Suppose she uses her degree to start a boutique prenatal ultrasound business. She leases ultrasound equipment, a storefront, and charges pregnant women thousands for monthly videos of their babies (this is a very trendy and lucrative business right now). Or, she simply moves up the ladder in a hospital/clinic setting to a management position which pays very well. Or, she moves into an ultrasound equipment sales position which pays six figures. Or, she successfully invests the money she made early in her career (without having to pay off student loans) and uses it as seed money for some other endeavor. Or, maybe she goes on get an MBA or other degree. Who knows? Why must people pigeon hole her? Why don't people (as the OP says) think outside the box?

IMO this girl has as much chance to be financially successful as the accounting and teaching majors out there (and I have nothing against these majors). I think college grads sometimes need to validate their choices and may do so by looking down their noses at certain types of education.

I remember one of the smartest girls in my high school decided to go to community college to study "stenography." Many of her peers (myself including) were heading off to prestigious universities and we thought she was completely wasting her talents. We even felt sorry for her. But at our 10 year H.S. reunion, I found out she now is the owner of a very successfull stenography company and employees many people. So she had a great plan going all along - we just could not see it. She is now laughing all the way to the bank.
The statistics don't bear that out. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, but in general, the more educated you are, the higher your income.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:08 PM

885 posts, read 1,553,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm not saying they are a bad choice. I'm saying that those schools don't provide the same level of opportunity in immediately landing a job as the better quality schools.

Also, the Ivys, while private, typically cost their students less than public schools thanks to generous grants, scholarships and financial packages.

Public Ivy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
lol at University of Vermont.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:16 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
Good for your sister! Everyone needs to find a career path-my other half is an accountant and trust me it's not taxes and not with a big four firm-money? Well the 8k bonus for the past 4 years is nice...
I don't knock anything right now-I have a Masters in Psychology and made nothing-but loved it. Now I'm in business ( have been for awhile) and my salary is going backwards...because of the economy -so I see myself going back to school for health related field

Old 11-30-2011, 09:53 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
You know, stalking me does not benefit you guys, because I ain't got no money for you to rob.
No one's stalking you

I still want to know how you're broke in zip code listed Houston making well over $50k and single.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 PM

464 posts, read 832,510 times
Default Sorry, folks, but I did not read the 10 pages...

...between first and last post. However, having been a rad tech myself, the OP's sis can actually significantly increase her salary through experience and further education in the field. In a few years she can indeed be making double her $21/hr. and if she wants it, she can easily triple that with surgical and specialty experience and training.

So, yeah, yeah, yeah....we all want to brag about ourselves but respect the OP's post in that his sis is out of school (not dropping out either but degreed--2 to start and maybe she will pursue the BAS) and has secured a steady job in the health profession, which will always....yes, always be growing due to the significant number of people simply living longer and physicians, nurses, techs, etc. retiring.

Good luck to your sis, OP, but she won't need it it as she's on a good road...

Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
That $54k salary betters some of the 4 year college majors... My point is that, while the OP is offensive to belittle Accounting majors, it is disingenuous (and also offensive) for the college educated to belittle community college/certificate graduates like the OP's sister and state she'll forever be stuck making around $21/hr. Why must people stereotype her when they do not even know her capabilities? This seems very elitist and condescending. If she truly "thinks outside the box," there are many paths she could take besides the ones I listed, and they may even involve having her employer pay for another degree.
That $54k salary is better than many four year college majors earn.

I went the technician route in an obscure niche field. For 20 of the 35 years I've been a technician I owned a company which at one time had 25 employees with a annual gross of around $2 to $4 million so I guess you could say I was management. As for me I did well for many of those years earning a six figure salary along with some very nice perks.

Let me tell you my opinion of being in "management". It sucks. Seven years ago I sold out taking a job with a competitor I admired to become a technician again taking a cut in pay from $120k to $75k which was the best thing I could do for myself. $75k might not sound like much on the east or west coast but in the rural south or mid-west it offers a comfortable somewhat upper middle class existence.

Why? Because being in management sucked. I can do the management thing, I did it for 20 years, but I hated it. You could offer me double my salary to be in management and I would turn you flat down.

I am cut out to be a technician. Some people just are and I am one of them.

Being in the work force for 50 years I learned something along the way. I learned your title, the position in the company and even pay doesn't count for much if you aren't happy working.

What counts, the only thing that counts, is do you really like what you do? I got the best job in the whole wide world and you want to know why? Because every Monday morning I look forward to going to work. Most days I love doing what I do and sometimes I stay a few hours over because I am actually having fun at what I do. I've never looked at Wednesday as a hump day and Fridays are nothing special. If you earn enough money to be comfortable and love doing the job what else is there?

Quote:
Why must people stereotype her when they do not even know her capabilities?
Maybe her capabilities having nothing to do with it, maybe she just likes doing what she does? If she really enjoys her job in my opinion she's in the top 5% because she, unlike many who might earn more, will never work a day in her life.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:01 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Maybe her capabilities having nothing to do with it, maybe she just likes doing what she does? If she really enjoys her job in my opinion she's in the top 5% because she, unlike many who might earn more, will never work a day in her life.
Of course, I agree. I am only questioning the assumption by several posters that her pay will remain at close to $21/hr after 10 years. I find that assumption surprising when they do not know her or her goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
The statistics don't bear that out. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, but in general, the more educated you are, the higher your income.
I have never said otherwise... But do you have statistics that support the assumption by posters that this particular sister will likely still be making close to $21/hour after 10 years? Do you have statistics that show she will be unlikely in the next 10 years to get additional education (e.g. certificate, BS, MBA), leverage her degree, switch careers, start a business, etc. in order to make more money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitagreatday View Post
However, having been a rad tech myself, the OP's sis can actually significantly increase her salary through experience and further education in the field. In a few years she can indeed be making double her $21/hr. and if she wants it, she can easily triple that with surgical and specialty experience and training.

So, yeah, yeah, yeah....we all want to brag about ourselves but respect the OP's post in that his sis is out of school (not dropping out either but degreed--2 to start and maybe she will pursue the BAS) and has secured a steady job in the health profession, which will always....yes, always be growing due to the significant number of people simply living longer and physicians, nurses, techs, etc. retiring.
Finally, a post that shows what is possible and does not make assumptions. As a rad tech, you have given a great example of how it is very possible for the sister to make much more than $21/hr in just a few years with some additional education. Or, maybe she won't make much more. Who knows? Certainly not a bunch of people who have never met her.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Finally, a post that shows what is possible and does not make assumptions. As a rad tech, you have given a great example of how it is very possible for the sister to make much more than $21/hr in just a few years with some additional education. Or, maybe she won't make much more. Who knows? Certainly not a bunch of people who have never met her.
Exactly, and more than likely she is 20 or 21 years old and having a job paying $21/hr with excellent benefits is just super in this economy. My guess nine out of ten 21 year olds would love to trade places with her right about now. She is easily in the top 10%.

I don't know the lady, except for what I read here, but I am happy to read stories of success and for her.

But invariably comes the snoot. "But if she had gone to a top 3 Ivy League school getting her MBA she'd make $100k." This gets so boring.

Yeah, and if I had become a top flight neurosurgeon I suppose I would be doing better too blah, blah, blah.

Reminds me, before I met my wife I had a girlfriend who (we are talking 40 years ago) who was a LPN making little above minimum wage at a nursing home. Our of curiosity I've tracked her through friends and the internet and what she did was to go on to receive her RN. Today she is a top ranked nurse in oncology going so far as to publish several articles and a book about oncology nursing.

Who knows where she is going to take this but at 21 I think she is on track for a very nice future even if she doesn't want to move up.

A great America isn't made up of top flight MBA's it is made up of people just like her that makes it into the middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities