Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:11 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,407,596 times

Advertisements

Private Schools and the Ivy League are overrated.

I'd take UC Berkeley, any Big Ten school, UCLA, Washington, UC Davis, Texas, Florida, UNC, and UVA over any private school any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 04:14 PM

9,317 posts, read 12,929,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Private Schools and the Ivy League are overrated.

I'd take UC Berkeley, any Big Ten school, UCLA, Washington, UC Davis, Texas, Florida, UNC, and UVA over any private school any day.
Most of those schools cost almost as much out-of-state.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:20 PM

504 posts, read 1,267,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I have friends that went to many private schools with no expenses, including NYU, JHU, Dartmouth, UCLA, Columbia, and Harvard.
Oh, I see. A collection of anecdotes from your "many" friends obviously provides a representative sample sufficient to generalize about 1,500 institutions.

And UCLA isn't private.
Quote:
I use numbers above the median household income, but not numbers that consider one rich. For this estimate, I used an income of 80,000 w/ a home valued at 250,000. The school was JHU.

Estimated Cost of Attendance: $56000
Minus your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC): $24200
Need: $31800
Estimated Aid
Grant Award: $25800
Loan Award: $3500
Work Award: $2500
Total Award: $31800

I chose this school randomly. I feel this is a fair amount of financial aid based on an income of $80,000. I don't know what your income is, but it must be quite a bit higher than $80k. Which, puts your way above the median household income.
From what population did you "randomly" choose JHU?

Old 12-02-2011, 04:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,021,178 times
It was the first school that I thought of outside of the North East.

Same info for Wake Forest U:

80K, household of 4, own home valued at 250k

Estimated Total Cost of Attendance 56,236

Need-Based Scholarship 38,686 $

Old 12-02-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
It's the first school that popped in my head that wasn't in the North East.

Same information for Wake Forest U:
Do you know what a random sample is? Because that's not a random sample.

The reason you have heard of these schools is because they have strong reputations. Schools with strong reputations also have stringent admissions requirements, large endowments, and (often) wealthy student bodies. These are the exact schools that also offer excellent financial aid packages to low-income students.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,021,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Do you know what a random sample is? Because that's not a random sample.

The reason you have heard of these schools is because they have strong reputations. Schools with strong reputations also have stringent admissions requirements, large endowments, and (often) wealthy student bodies. These are the exact schools that also offer excellent financial aid packages to low-income students.
This is not statistics.

Why would a student choose to go to a school without a strong reputation? So they can go in debt? Why not maximize the value of education? Go to a good school that costs less out of pocket.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:15 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,035,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
Average in-state tuition and fees at four-year public colleges rose an additional $631 this fall, or 8.3 percent, compared with a year ago.
Nationally, the cost of a full credit load has passed $8,000, an all-time high. Throw in room and board, and the average list price for a state school now runs more than $17,000 a year, according to the twin annual reports on college costs and student aid published Wednesday by the College Board.

add another year since most people take 5 to graduate. 85k is considered a reasonable price for a degree at a state school these days.
Come to Louisiana and you can get your educating for half that at a great school

busta

Old 12-02-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
This is not statistics.
So I shouldn't expect cogency from your posts?
Quote:
Why would a student choose to go to a school without a strong reputation? So they can go in debt?
Well, even some of the reputable schools you mentioned offer fairly poor financial aid. At NYU, the average net price for the lowest-income students is over $20k. Compare that to Princeton, which is less than $5k. The average debt for NYU grads was nearly $35k, while for Princeton it was just over $5k.
(Based on our other discussion, Princeton students may be able to do even better than that. But for comparison purposes, these figures work.)

Most of us don't say "private schools" to describe just a few institutions.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:29 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,129,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Most schools are NOT crap.
And most people do NOT take 5 years to graduate. The only ones I know that take that long are people in co-op programs.

Most people do not graduate within the traditional four year mark. Fact. And not all of those who do take five years are co-ops.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:21 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,360,643 times
Quote:
This is not statistics.

Why would a student choose to go to a school without a strong reputation? So they can go in debt? Why not maximize the value of education? Go to a good school that costs less out of pocket.
Many people go to colleges that don't have strong reputations and they go for any number reasons. I went to one partly because of the fin. aid, but more because I really enjoyed the people and atmosphere.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 12-02-2011 at 07:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities