U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-30-2011, 02:35 PM
 
977 posts, read 1,493,609 times
Reputation: 1906

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why don't we steer this back to discussing students at community college. We've gone on all sorts of topics including slavery.
Ok, here's my theory and it relates to what I said before: Since so many students are applying to 4 year colleges, the leftovers are the ones who are going to community colleges. These leftovers are even less qualified and intelligent than the leftovers in prior eras (who weren't that intelligent either).

 
Old 11-30-2011, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
24,728 posts, read 59,658,355 times
Reputation: 26873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Ok, here's my theory and it relates to what I said before: Since so many students are applying to 4 year colleges, the leftovers are the ones who are going to community colleges. These leftovers are even less qualified and intelligent than the leftovers in prior eras (who weren't that intelligent either).
Not necessarily. Often people do their first 2 years at a CC because it is cheaper, or because it is close to home and they want or need to stay home and commute, or because they need to take classes at odd times like nights or weekends. pr because they want or need to go to school part time. . . .
 
Old 11-30-2011, 02:45 PM
 
5,491 posts, read 8,173,490 times
Reputation: 7350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think students tend to undervalue the importance of tenure. When selecting classes (at any good school), it is always in the students best interest to choose a class taught by a tenured professor.

There's some morons with tenure out there.

I'd rather choose based on the quality of the professor (And don't even TRY to say this is indicated by tenure lest I laugh in your face!)
 
Old 11-30-2011, 03:01 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,155,305 times
Reputation: 12779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
There's some morons with tenure out there.

I'd rather choose based on the quality of the professor (And don't even TRY to say this is indicated by tenure lest I laugh in your face!)
I guess my statement went a little too far. Tenure allows for higher quality professors than non-tenured professors. However, not all tenured professors are higher quality (although, it can very subjective).

It's in the best interest of the student to review the work and publishings of a professor before attending their classes.
 
Old 11-30-2011, 03:10 PM
 
20,793 posts, read 52,417,041 times
Reputation: 10476
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Aren't most of them need based aid?

Anyway, I was curious about this so I looked at harvard's financial aid calculator and this is what I came up with (this is for student from Texas):
Household Income > $250,000/yr = Tuition is $49,000/yr
Household Income > $200,000/yr = Tuition is $30,000/yr
Household Income > $150,000/yr = Tuition is $16,000/yr
Household Income > $100,000/yr = Tuition is $10,000/yr
Household Income > $50,000/yr = Tuition is $4,000/yr
Household Income < $50,000/yr = Tuition is $4,000/yr
^^ This is with all grants and scholarships lumped in.

Now compare that to a good state school where you will pay $5,000 - $10,000 per year no matter what your income level (with no grants/scholarships)... with grants and scholarships you could end up paying nothing or even making money to go there.

I think we can see that the private school will be just as expensive for some, but more expensive for a lot of others...
I don't know where you got those numbers but from the Harvard website:

All of our financial aid is awarded on the basis of demonstrated financial need there are no academic, athletic or merit-based awards, and we meet the demonstrated need of every student, including international students, for all four years. We invite you to explore our web site for a detailed description of all aspects of our aid program, including our Harvard Financial Aid Initiative for low and moderate income students, under which families with incomes currently below $60,000 are not expected to contribute to college costs. Beginning in the fall of 2012, financial aid will be further expanded for low income students, when this income level will be increased to $65,000.

If your AGI is 180K or less you pay 10% of your income in costs. All loan aid is converted to grants so you graduate with zero debt unless you take private loans not through the federal program.

All of the Ivy's have similar income based tuition/fees/room/board.
 
Old 11-30-2011, 03:12 PM
 
20,793 posts, read 52,417,041 times
Reputation: 10476
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Not really. The 09/10 average net price at Princeton was $17,568. Mizzou was at $15,202.

Now, Princeton's financial aid program is excellent. Low income students will find it a much better bargain than Mizzou ($4,995 vs $11,173 for the poorest students). But the average price ends up higher because a significant fraction of Princeton students come from very wealthy backgrounds and relatively few come from low-income backgrounds.

Handbook of Faculty Titles

I still don't understand why the PhD credential magically makes a graduate student qualified to teach...
I think you will find that your information about Princeton is not correct....look at their website, low income families pay ZERO to attend.
 
Old 11-30-2011, 03:32 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,640,445 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I don't know where you got those numbers but from the Harvard website:

All of our financial aid is awarded on the basis of demonstrated financial need there are no academic, athletic or merit-based awards, and we meet the demonstrated need of every student, including international students, for all four years. We invite you to explore our web site for a detailed description of all aspects of our aid program, including our Harvard Financial Aid Initiative for low and moderate income students, under which families with incomes currently below $60,000 are not expected to contribute to college costs. Beginning in the fall of 2012, financial aid will be further expanded for low income students, when this income level will be increased to $65,000.

If your AGI is 180K or less you pay 10% of your income in costs. All loan aid is converted to grants so you graduate with zero debt unless you take private loans not through the federal program.

All of the Ivy's have similar income based tuition/fees/room/board.
I got the info from their financial aid calculator... try it for yourself...
Net Price Calculator
I guess they need to update their calculator.
 
Old 11-30-2011, 03:33 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,155,305 times
Reputation: 12779
^^ There you have it. It's cheaper to attend a 4-year private institution if you have middle-class income or less.

However, I'm certain that community college is free for the lowest income classes... through pell grants and such
 
Old 11-30-2011, 03:40 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,393 posts, read 9,431,097 times
Reputation: 4575
It's common sense that an ivy league school is going to have a far higher concentration of smart and driven people than your local community college. That does not mean that students from either set should be painted with such broad, blatantly positive/negative brushstrokes.

People need to remember that just as an elite university can't propel mediocre students to greatness, less prestigious schools won't hold back the truly talented (and I know plenty of people from both categories).
 
Old 11-30-2011, 04:01 PM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,426 posts, read 35,758,561 times
Reputation: 38835
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post

People need to remember that just as an elite university can't propel mediocre students to greatness, less prestigious schools won't hold back the truly talented (and I know plenty of people from both categories).
Nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top