U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-01-2011, 10:38 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,393 posts, read 9,425,782 times
Reputation: 4575

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Minnesota--Rock knew that...since I have a sneaky suspicion he works in admissions there--
Ah, just wondering.

To be fair, UMN is a pretty solid school. Like most large public research universities, their admissions process is probably less holistic, than say, Brown's, but I don't think it's quite fair to say they'll "take anyone" either.

 
Old 12-01-2011, 10:42 AM
 
484 posts, read 1,326,736 times
Reputation: 1438
People go to CC because they're not smart or motivated enough to get into a good university. The excuse about going to CC to save money is just an excuse to hide this embarassing reality . CC's have no admissions standards, they have to accept anyone with a pulse, and it shows in their student body.

I once knew a CC student, and she was actually among the top students in her math class. One time I looked at her math midterm (which she had one of the highest scores and was thrilled about this), I tried not to laugh. It was the same rigor as Calculus I took in 11th grade. Those students wouldn't survive even one quarter at a top university. They're marginal students
 
Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 AM
 
12,454 posts, read 27,080,128 times
Reputation: 6946
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
People go to CC because they're not smart or motivated enough to get into a good university. The excuse about going to CC to save money is just an excuse to hide this embarassing reality . CC's have no admissions standards, they have to accept anyone with a pulse, and it shows in their student body.

I once knew a CC student, and she was actually among the top students in her math class. One time I looked at her math midterm (which she had one of the highest scores and was thrilled about this), I tried not to laugh. It was the same rigor as Calculus I took in 11th grade. Those students wouldn't survive even one quarter at a top university. They're marginal students
Yep, and all the people at ____________ University are really smart!
__________________
Please follow THESE rules.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
 
Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 AM
 
20,793 posts, read 52,384,150 times
Reputation: 10471
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Ah, just wondering.

To be fair, UMN is a pretty solid school. Like most large public research universities, their admissions process is probably less holistic, than say, Brown's, but I don't think it's quite fair to say they'll "take anyone" either.
The U of MN is a good school, but in-state, they take everyone. Now, that's not to say that if you apply late or whatnot you will get in but admissions certainly isn't as strict as other Big 10 schools nor is it as strict as any of the private schools in the state. Certain PROGRAMS are very difficult to get into but the University itself, not really.
 
Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 AM
 
404 posts, read 973,676 times
Reputation: 319
That's why I'm not a big advocate for 2years in CC then transfer to a Major University. The environment isn't really motivating for a young student to succeed. There's no pride in attending Community College, and kids quickly become uninterested because it's like attending high school again minus the social aspect. Students go to class then immediately go home. There's no bonding with fellow classmates over study sessions, making friends in the dorms, or just simply having pride in your school.

Financially CC is a good move but if your child can get into a decent instate University, it will benefit them more in the long run.
 
Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 PM
 
20,793 posts, read 52,384,150 times
Reputation: 10471
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
That's why I'm not a big advocate for 2years in CC then transfer to a Major University. The environment isn't really motivating for a young student to succeed. There's no pride in attending Community College, and kids quickly become uninterested because it's like attending high school again minus the social aspect. Students go to class then immediately go home. There's no bonding with fellow classmates over study sessions, making friends in the dorms, or just simply having pride in your school.

Financially CC is a good move but if your child can get into a decent instate University, it will benefit them more in the long run.
Along these lines, I think there is a huge personal growth process that happens when kids go AWAY for college and aren't coming home every weekend. There is a lot to learn about not running to mom and dad for every little thing. I think that is one of the MOST important things about going away for college. We have told our kids from a young age that they will live on campus and they are not allowed to come home for the first 6 weeks. They need to learn to adapt to college life and their adulthood. We have also given them the rule of thumb that 2 hours away or more is better.
 
Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 PM
 
5,479 posts, read 8,168,244 times
Reputation: 7302
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
People go to CC because they're not smart or motivated enough to get into a good university. The excuse about going to CC to save money is just an excuse to hide this embarassing reality . CC's have no admissions standards, they have to accept anyone with a pulse, and it shows in their student body.

I once knew a CC student, and she was actually among the top students in her math class. One time I looked at her math midterm (which she had one of the highest scores and was thrilled about this), I tried not to laugh. It was the same rigor as Calculus I took in 11th grade. Those students wouldn't survive even one quarter at a top university. They're marginal students




I went to Ole Miss for 'the 13th grade'

I shoulda just gone to a community college (Which I did later while bouncing around in the Marines) for all the difference it woulda made.
 
Old 12-01-2011, 12:22 PM
 
Location: NC
10,005 posts, read 8,719,959 times
Reputation: 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
People go to CC because they're not smart or motivated enough to get into a good university. The excuse about going to CC to save money is just an excuse to hide this embarassing reality .
CCs often teach stuff colleges don't. E.g. for certs, and Notory training.
 
Old 12-01-2011, 12:23 PM
 
404 posts, read 973,676 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Along these lines, I think there is a huge personal growth process that happens when kids go AWAY for college and aren't coming home every weekend. There is a lot to learn about not running to mom and dad for every little thing. I think that is one of the MOST important things about going away for college. We have told our kids from a young age that they will live on campus and they are not allowed to come home for the first 6 weeks. They need to learn to adapt to college life and their adulthood. We have also given them the rule of thumb that 2 hours away or more is better.
That's awesome. Coming out of high school I didn't get into my first college of choice which was only a 20-30 mins commute, so I'd stay with my parents. Most of my friends got accepted there and I was a bit bummed. BUT I got into another University 1.5 hr's away. It ended up being a better experience than my first choice of school. I made a ton of friends, experienced a WHOLE LOT more than my hometown friends who were attending a college near home, and didn't have to deal with nagging parents. It was literally some of the most memorable years of my life. Oh yea and I got a degree as well
 
Old 12-01-2011, 01:24 PM
 
1,570 posts, read 1,678,616 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
People go to CC because they're not smart or motivated enough to get into a good university. The excuse about going to CC to save money is just an excuse to hide this embarassing reality . CC's have no admissions standards, they have to accept anyone with a pulse, and it shows in their student body.

I once knew a CC student, and she was actually among the top students in her math class. One time I looked at her math midterm (which she had one of the highest scores and was thrilled about this), I tried not to laugh. It was the same rigor as Calculus I took in 11th grade. Those students wouldn't survive even one quarter at a top university. They're marginal students
What's so smart about paying more money to hang the same degree on your wall? In California, the original intent was that everyone attend CC for the first two years... Then U.C and C.S.U realized they could make money by having students attend their schools for four years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top