U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-09-2011, 11:52 AM

5,507 posts, read 5,603,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
I'm usually prepared to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that generalizations aren't meant to be universal.
This idea is lost on many people here. The sad thing is many people use only their pesonal examples for their knowledge base instead of educating themself on what the norm is for the average person.

It's like the person who says why bother get a degree because Bill Gates didn't.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 12:01 PM

69,637 posts, read 59,643,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
This idea is lost on many people here. The sad thing is many people use only their pesonal examples for their knowledge base instead of educating themself on what the norm is for the average person.

It's like the person who says why bother get a degree because Bill Gates didn't.
Then provide the documetation! You have given us nothing but your OPINIONS.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:39 PM

164 posts, read 164,297 times
I'm currently attending a top 100 4-yr school. I did my first two years at a CC. The quality of students was about the same. There were good students and bad at both. You wouldn't be able to tell which group of students belongs to which school.

Is this necessarily a bad thing? Think about what this is really commenting on. Is the "quality" (which, when used to refer to people, is pretty disgusting imo) of students at 4-yr schools declining? Or the quality of CC students ascending? Or was it ever much different to begin with?

Like I said earlier, it seems a lot of the posters in this thread are quite a few decades beyond their college years and making assumptions and statements based on dated information and hearsay. (I know, not everyone in here is. NJBest is a recent college grad.) I know, its not going anywhere, this will just become a 100 page pissing match of people trying to either justify forking out for their education or staying local for it. But I figured I'd throw in another few cents.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Then provide the documetation! You have given us nothing but your OPINIONS.
I haven't provided it because it's known fact to anyone with a clue. You can do your own further research but here is the first link that came up that states the obvious.

http://media.apps.chicagotribune.com...-year-gpa.html

Old 12-09-2011, 01:36 PM

69,637 posts, read 59,643,119 times
Quote:
I haven't provided it because it's known fact to anyone with a clue. You can do your own further research but here is the first link that came up that states the obvious.

http://media.apps.chicagotribune.com...-year-gpa.html
So you don't have anything. Figures. The study you report is about how well Ill. public high school graduates do in college. It seems those that attend community college have lower GPAs than those that attend 4 year colleges. Maybe that means CC is harder?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:59 PM

20,797 posts, read 32,235,946 times
Quote:
So you don't have anything. Figures. The study you report is about how well Ill. public high school graduates do in college. It seems those that attend community college have lower GPAs than those that attend 4 year colleges. Maybe that means CC is harder?
Right---or what it really means is the kids that go to CC have lower GPA's to start-at least that is how it works around here.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:04 PM

164 posts, read 164,297 times
golfgal---How much time have you spent at a CC or among CC students? You seem to be quite the expert on their grades, work ethic and the quality of their instruction

Old 12-09-2011, 03:13 PM

20,679 posts, read 16,190,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Right---or what it really means is the kids that go to CC have lower GPA's to start-at least that is how it works around here.
Or very unusual circumstances... such as having a baby to take care of, or an ill parent.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Clearly this is all over your head. That shows the CC student is a much worse student. Just look at the test scores and GPA.

You are taking this very personal because you are in a CC now and not able to see the big picture.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:18 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,302,397 times
Quote:

Not sure what your point was. While CCs are generally easier, they just cut you some more slack. I've been to many transfer student evens and they usually tell you to take a light workload if you're coming form a CC. You still learn everything you need, though. They just might not throw 20 papers at you and a homework assignment for each class, but if you still want to learn, you will come out knowing pretty much the same the most of the time. Why I think the OP probably failed at presenting the material. The quality of the student body isn't really dictating what the professor does. He can be as efficient at teaching as he wants to be and teach quite a bit. Calculus is Calculus. Doesn't matter if it's at a CC or at an University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities