Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 12:19 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times

Advertisements

My son and all his friends took the SAT (our version of ACT) and still went to the local CC. If your grade is up to snuff you can bypass some of the CC placement testing so pretty much everyone takes it regardless of their college plans.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:23 AM

171 posts, read 416,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My son and all his friends took the SAT (our version of ACT) and still went to the local CC. If your grade is up to snuff you can bypass some of the CC placement testing so pretty much everyone takes it regardless of their college plans.

Yeah that's what I did. About half of my high school class went to CC, and most of us took the SAT. You needed a score of 500 in either the math or critical reading section of the SAT to bypass that subject's placement test.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:13 PM

64 posts, read 96,862 times
I'm at CC not because I want to be there, but because I had no other choice.

I was accepted in plenty of universities coming out high school last year, but I simply could not afford to attend a 4-year university.

It's disheartening to see comments in this thread talking down on community colleges. I believe I am making a wise financial decision by getting my general education requirements out of the way first. In my state (Illinois), most community colleges and universities share the same general education requirements, so my credits transfer to any public university and most private institutions. Of course, there are GPA issues and required classes you must take before being accepted into a degree program, but as long as you plan carefully and excel, there are no issues.

Even if I commuted to the University of Illinois-Chicago, my total bill for two years at a CC is less than one full year at UIC! Crazy!

Old 04-07-2013, 04:09 PM

219 posts, read 430,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DxC_17 View Post

I was accepted in plenty of universities coming out high school last year, but I simply could not afford to attend a 4-year university.

It's disheartening to see comments in this thread talking down on community colleges. I believe I am making a wise financial decision by getting my general education requirements out of the way first. In my state (Illinois), most community colleges and universities share the same general education requirements, so my credits transfer to any public university and most private institutions. Of course, there are GPA issues and required classes you must take before being accepted into a degree program, but as long as you plan carefully and excel, there are no issues.

Even if I commuted to the University of Illinois-Chicago, my total bill for two years at a CC is less than one full year at UIC! Crazy!
You are. Pay no mind to the some of the comments made by others. Some people need to look down on others because they know they are being looked down upon themselves, and it just helps them sleep a bit better.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,529 times
Quote:

If you do well and get into a quality university it will be a good move. Many that go to CC don't though.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:41 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:

Please note that this thread was started (two years ago) by a poster who has been banned. He's the loser, not you!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,383 times
disagree with OP, while you will get your "unkempt, lazy" students in a CC just as in a 4 year many are doing CC because for the moment they cannot afford a 4 year university or they plan on transfering later to a 4 year. Tis a shame to paint all CC students as lazy good for nothing, I know I orginally did when I was in high school

Old 04-08-2013, 07:38 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
If you took away the Pell Grant Entitlement, community colleges would fold like a cheap umbrella. Period.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:42 AM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I teach Management classes in the Business Program at a large Community College as an Adjunct Professor as a second job in the evening. I have also taught full time students in the day time too.

Sometimes when I can't sleep I get philosophical about the thousands of students who have come through my classes in the last 15 years. Many are nice enough and many put in some effort but in general America is in serious trouble if these people are going to someday work in responsible positions in corporate America.

What hits me is how many of the Community College students just don't care, are lazy and not so bright. Many even in their 20s and 30s are incredibly naive about academics, organization and education. They also seem incredibly naive about what awaits them in the real world if they graduate.

Most of the students who come through my Management 101 class will take a handful of classes at the Community College and then drop out and then go into a number of dead end jobs for the rest of their life.

My situation is not unique. My fellow Professors report the quality of students are at an all time low and each year the group gets worse and worse. All in an era when we are facing incredible competition from Asia.

Tell me the students are better in a four year college!
No, they just have more money.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
When needing 9 hours college credit for license renewal (teaching), a cc is quite handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities