U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,624,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Weeding is not a bad thing, it's a good thing. I know where I went to college Organic Chemistry was the weed out class for science majors (pre-med candidates usually). It was a nearly impossible course taken sophomore year. If you couldn't hack that course, you didn't belong in medical school.
^^I think this is the problem with how some "top 10" colleges think.

I thought college was supposed to be about teaching students-- not setting them up for failure.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:32 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,443,446 times
Quote:
Weeding is not a bad thing, it's a good thing. I know where I went to college Organic Chemistry was the weed out class for science majors (pre-med candidates usually). It was a nearly impossible course taken sophomore year. If you couldn't hack that course, you didn't belong in medical school.
Oh, I lived that back in the early 70s!
First day... the prof stood at the front of the class, swept his finger over the assembled crowd and declared: Half of you will get an F.
And half did.

I was happy to move on to second semester OChem with my C.
My first ever C!
Devastation and elation rolled into one...

Old 11-30-2011, 07:33 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,443,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post

I thought college was supposed to be about teaching students-- not setting them up for failure.
Better for them to get weeded out as an undergrad than in med school, don't you think?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 AM

52,171 posts, read 74,830,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
The numbers that I have seen show that the modern USA has become a relatively low-IQ country (average 98, compared with 108 IIRC in Hong Kong). Moreover, our public schools seem to devote most of their efforts and interest toward policing bottom-of-the-barrel students rather than focusing on the best and brightest who might actually accomplish something in life. Add in a culture that seems to wallow in ignorance, stupidity and vulgarity in order to reach the lowest-common-denominator "citizen as consumer" in the pursuit of selling schlock, and we have what you observe. But other than that we're doing fine
Also, it is all about test scores and not much else, because that is what teachers get graded on at the end of the day. So, you basically get a bunch of test zombie students in schools now. Think about it. If it is all about testing, why teach anything else or have some real learning within the classroom?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 AM

4,304 posts, read 4,389,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The smart ones don't pay for university education. It's everyone else who has to pay for it or go to Community College.

This isn't necessarily true. It depends on the state and the school. For example, University of Missouri does not offer scholarships outside of a 1k/semester for a 30+ on your ACT.

The only scholarships they offered were athletic.

Not all private schools provide full funding either, most is need based. For example, if your parents made 250k you would be paying to go to Harvard even if you were valedictorian and had a 1560/1600 on your SAT. I know people with similar resumes that paid to go to schools like Wash U and Vanderbilt.

Academic full rides are for graduate degrees, not usually for undergrad.

I know many, many brilliant people who paid for their education. Now those people could have gotten academic scholarships to tiny private universities where the tuition may have been free (still would have cost 10-15k in room & board), but to go to a quality private university they were not receiving much aside from the 10-15k off the 35k price tag everyone receives.

Quote:
Maybe where you live but here, CC are NOT the same classes. They are not even taught by full professors. Sorry, they are not even close to the same.

Here classes don't automatically transfer and none of the private schools here accept CC credits....those 2 years at a CC would be a waste of money.

Can you hop over to the MN board and post this on the "Carleton Students" thread If you add in room and board for a CC student, even living at home they cost money, your costs are probably close to the same.
What University do you go to where Full Professors teach undergrads? Perhaps you are referring to assistant and associate professors.

If you are referring to small private universities where little research is going on being taught by a full professor is like being taught by a good teacher. They most likely have contributed very little to the field. The full professors at research universities (this includes schools like Harvard, Michigan, etc.) are the ones that are making the contributions and they are almost definitely not teaching undergad classes (considering there are only 1-2 full professors in every department/sub-department).

Last edited by mizzourah2006; 11-30-2011 at 07:51 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 08:12 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,624,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Better for them to get weeded out as an undergrad than in med school, don't you think?
Will most go to med school?
From my understanding, a lot of chemistry majors do other things than med school.

An example of how professors at my engineering school "weeded out" students was to test students over material that wasn't covered. How is this fair to the students who were admitted? If they were admitted to the college, shouldn't they have already been "weeded out."

College should be about helping students learn-- not discouraging them or simply handing out grades based on which students have a higher IQ. Don't you think that those students who put in more effort to learn deserve a higher grade than those who simply slack off (but are smarter)? In the real world, smarts will only get you so far... how hard you work is the real measure of success.

One of my accounting professors at my MBA school recently said to the class "if I test you over what I taught, I won't be able to separate you out and give appropriate grades." Thus, someone who doesn't go to class can get the same grade as someone who does. That is messed up and is an example of "weeding out."

Last edited by h152cc2; 11-30-2011 at 08:20 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 AM

12,444 posts, read 26,948,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
This isn't necessarily true. It depends on the state and the school. For example, University of Missouri does not offer scholarships outside of a 1k/semester for a 30+ on your ACT.

The only scholarships they offered were athletic.

Not all private schools provide full funding either, most is need based. For example, if your parents made 250k you would be paying to go to Harvard even if you were valedictorian and had a 1560/1600 on your SAT. I know people with similar resumes that paid to go to schools like Wash U and Vanderbilt.

Academic full rides are for graduate degrees, not usually for undergrad.

I know many, many brilliant people who paid for their education. Now those people could have gotten academic scholarships to tiny private universities where the tuition may have been free (still would have cost 10-15k in room & board), but to go to a quality private university they were not receiving much aside from the 10-15k off the 35k price tag everyone receives.

What University do you go to where Full Professors teach undergrads? Perhaps you are referring to assistant and associate professors.

If you are referring to small private universities where little research is going on being taught by a full professor is like being taught by a good teacher. They most likely have contributed very little to the field. The full professors at research universities (this includes schools like Harvard, Michigan, etc.) are the ones that are making the contributions and they are almost definitely not teaching undergad classes (considering there are only 1-2 full professors in every department/sub-department).
I've visited literally dozens of colleges, mostly ones under 10,000 students, and all but a couple emphasized that their professors teach the classes. One of the reasons my kids did not want to go to a huge college was because they did not want a class taught by a TA. When you start visiting colleges you quickly realize that two points are emphasized by most colleges 1) Full professors teaching the classes and 2) study abroad is do-able.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:36 AM

521 posts, read 688,264 times
Jesus H. Christ, according to all you dicks, I'm a damn loser with no future destined to spend my life working dead-end jobs?

This entire thing is an insult thinly veiled as a City-Data thread.

Has it ever occured to you dicks that some of us are back in school becuase the economy blows and we couldn't get accepted into a four-year program at a state school?

Community College is the only way some people can get into a traditional four-year place via transfer.

Pull your heads out of your asses and have a little common sense. Like community college students like myself actually make problems in life for all you snotty-ass four-year grads who think CC is worthless. A lot of your classmates transfered just like I will.

Get real.

I start to lose faith in humanity when otherwise intelligent people start needlessly bashing on other people trying to get an education. How about making youself useful instead of posting worthless, alienating rants to a bunch of anons through an internet medium?

EDIT: Did they teach Ignorance 101 in your four-year school? Cause a lot of the comments coming from people bashing CC students would seem to indicate they aced it.

And tell me why I should pay tuition at CU when all the CU profs come three miles down the road to teach us lowly CC students? Are two students taking the same class from the same prof, with one in a class of 65, and the other in a class of 20, getting different educations? Yeah, the CC student is getting better teacher support. How does this little tidbit of info sway your thought? Let me guess; not one bit because you're a four-year grad and I'm, GASP!, still finishing up pre-reqs at CC and am "ruining humanity". Well boo-hoo. Cry some more about something that doesn't affect you in the least.

Last edited by SkiScree; 11-30-2011 at 08:50 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 AM

7,386 posts, read 9,370,342 times
For future reference, a "dam" is a barrier that retains water. "Damn" is a mild expletive signifying anger, surprise, or frustration.

Maybe community college matriculants would be better students if their professors were better teachers.

Just some food for thought.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:10 AM

521 posts, read 688,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
For future reference, a "dam" is a barrier that retains water. "Damn" is a mild expletive signifying anger, surprise, or frustration.

Maybe community college matriculants would be better students if their professors were better teachers.

Just some food for thought.
Please point out where I misspelled anything and I'll gladly fix it Mr./Mrs. Pretentious.

Unless you weren't talking about my post then you're good. Good as in you made a mistake, not a good person - that's fairly obvious.

And what about the people that already have a degree but had to go back because their present degree isn't worth crap?

Again, pull your head out of your ass and use your amazing, four-year degree critical thinking skills to maybe figure out that there a multiple reasons for people to seek out an education from a community college, including for the purpose of transfering to a four-year school.

The only thing you're proving is that you're incredibly close minded.

EDIT: There's a 45 year old gentleman pursuing his third degree in my Logic class as well as a woman finishing up a couple pre-reqs she needed before persuing her Masters.

It's so sad to think that otherwise intelligent people have no other train of thought other than people that don't live up to their specific standards don't deserve the level of respect that anybody should recieve regardless of academic standing.

It's just baffling to me that some people wouldn't associate with others because of the school (or lack of it) that they went to. Are you people 15 years old?

Last edited by SkiScree; 11-30-2011 at 09:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or