Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 08:54 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The facts are the link I posted among many other you can find. It's an independent study and not a shady article from a website that profits off of promoting community colleges.

Find the actual UNLV study if you want to use it.

It doesn't get anymore clear cut than ACT and GPA scores for students entering a CC and a University.

The last few links I posted were from completely different websites, which tells me you didn't bother to look at them, and therefore your opinions on that information are baseless, at least read the source material before disagreeing with it.

And the entering scores say nothing about the overall quality of the general student population, and has nothing to do with how smart someone is, but how prepared they are to take the tests. Although on average there are more CC students who need help in the basics, once they are taught those their GPA's are on par and above those of students who did not attend CC.

Therefore it is not about how smart someone is, but about the quality of education that they received, and once the chance is given to get those basics strengthened their GPA's speak for themselves.

Again I posted statistics, which are actually facts supported by research, and statistics that were not program specific but look at the whole student body.

Honestly I have come to the conclusion that you will just ignore what others say, and see it how you want to, and gloss over any facts that are presented because they do not fit your opinions.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
The smart ones go to a community college for the first two years to save a bundle of money before transfering to a four year school. Otherwise a student can easily spend many years at a CC, but this is their own fault since they lack goals or are unwilling to meet their goals.
Someone said this before, and it's false.

The smart ones go to a 4-year college and save a bundle of money over those who go to community college. There's many reasons when Community College makes sense. But it's been shown in this thread several times that saving money is not one of them.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:12 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Someone said this before, and it's false.

The smart ones go to a 4-year college and save a bundle of money over those who go to community college. There's many reasons when Community College makes sense. But it's been shown in this thread several times that saving money is not one of them.
Speak for yourself.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Speak for yourself.
? That doesn't even apply here.

I was referring to the statement about smart ones going to community college for the first 2 years to save a bundle of money. It's more expensive for a smart person to go to community college than it is to a 4-year college. So that statement isn't true.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:

I was referring to the statement about smart ones going to community college for the first 2 years to save a bundle of money. It's more expensive for a smart person to go to community college than it is to a 4-year college. So that statement isn't true.
Speak for yourself. EVERYONE'S SITUATION IS DIFFERENT!

Old 12-11-2011, 09:04 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
The last few links I posted were from completely different websites, which tells me you didn't bother to look at them, and therefore your opinions on that information are baseless, at least read the source material before disagreeing with it.

And the entering scores say nothing about the overall quality of the general student population, and has nothing to do with how smart someone is, but how prepared they are to take the tests.
Although on average there are more CC students who need help in the basics, once they are taught those their GPA's are on par and above those of students who did not attend CC.

Therefore it is not about how smart someone is, but about the quality of education that they received, and once the chance is given to get those basics strengthened their GPA's speak for themselves.

Again I posted statistics, which are actually facts supported by research, and statistics that were not program specific but look at the whole student body.

Honestly I have come to the conclusion that you will just ignore what others say, and see it how you want to, and gloss over any facts that are presented because they do not fit your opinions.
So ACT scores and GPA don't indicate how smart someone is? Yikes.

It's really simple from the study. Lower ACT and GPA means a lesser student which is what a CC attracts. Someone who generally isn't as prepared for a university.

You haven't provided anything about articles written by sites promoting the point. I gave the actual independent study and data. Find the actual study and not a sentence that could have been taken out of context and I'll pay it some attention.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:

I assume your logic is the kid out of HS who has done well is going to get grants/scholarships to attend a university while the kid who goes to CC is doing so because their grades and tests scores were not going to get them much grant/scholarship money?

Old 12-11-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I assume your logic is the kid out of HS who has done well is going to get grants/scholarships to attend a university while the kid who goes to CC is doing so because their grades and tests scores were not going to get them much grant/scholarship money?
You do a lot of assuming. You assumed I was a CC student when I am actually, in fact, a 62 year old woman who has a bachelor's degree from a Tier I University.

I can tell you it is untrue that EVERYONE can get a scholarship to a four year college if they have the grades and test scores, though SOME private colleges do offer scholarships to make the costs somewhat comparable to going to a state college/university. If you can't afford even that, CC is a good way to start.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You do a lot of assuming. You assumed I was a CC student when I am actually, in fact, a 62 year old woman who has a bachelor's degree from a Tier I University.

I can tell you it is untrue that EVERYONE can get a scholarship to a four year college if they have the grades and test scores, though SOME private colleges do offer scholarships to make the costs somewhat comparable to going to a state college/university. If you can't afford even that, CC is a good way to start.
I think NJ and I have a different definition than you do of what smart is.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I think NJ and I have a different definition than you do of what smart is.
Uh, excuse me? Please explain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities