Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Communication can go either way, it really depends on how it is taught at that school. It can be really easy or fairly challenging. But there are theories on communication - interpersonal and group - plus there's organizational communication, persuasion, learning theory, etc. A good communications program will cover all that plus teach techniques for good communication through writing, public speaking, the use of media (video, internet, etc). That's why those graduates tend to end up in HR, Public Relations, or Media.

Criminal justice is also typically heavy on sociology, psychology and data analysis as it is applied to crime in the US. Again it can be easy or challenging, depending on the school. Some throw in some forensic science type classes as well.

Recreation Management is a variation on Hospitality Management. Trains you to run amusement parks, resorts, etc. Some business classes, some psychology, some athletic training type stuff.

Humanities isn't really a major in most places. General studies is only offered in some schools, and it's usually a "design your own major" kind of thing.

Hope that helps.
There's nothing inherently "easy" about Communications or Criminology - and scholars in these subjects do serious and interesting work. But these subjects for the most part do not attract very many students with a serious academic bent.

For instance only 19% of communications majors and 20% of criminal justice majors have completed a graduate degree. Even in criminology - which is perceived of as more theoretical and less vocational than CJ - their majors have pretty much the same careers as CJ majors and the percentage with graduate degrees (22%) is pretty much the same as CJ, and well behind sociology (34%) and psychology (43%).

Center on Education and the Workforce -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 04:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I'd say whatever some D1 athletes major in....

and yes, I KNOW there are some bright achievers in the group.
Best answer! At my D1 university, which I believe is the same one that you went to, that was business "back in the day". On one of these forums, someone said there are easier majors for football players these days.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:24 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,853,932 times
This really is all subjective, depends entirely on the persons interests. For example I'm finding my Philosophy class to be a frustrating chore, doesn't help that some of the material has a lot of psychology involved which goes completely over my head and this was suppose to be my easiest class this semester!! Shows what I know, no philosophy classes for me ever again.

My Microbiology class on the other hand is quite fascinating, still a challenge though but at least I'm not struggling to comprehend the concepts involved. Natural Science I can do!

Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
No one could possibly answer this for every person, as it depends on what comes easily to YOU. For me, English is easy because I'm a good writer and can turn out A essays with not a lot of effort, but my brother who is not as good at abstract thought and putting thoughts down on paper would not find English easy. For him, math courses are easy, but for me I'd struggle big time with them.

I didn't read the entire thread, so I'm not sure why anyone would want just an "easy" degree. Just because a degree is easy does not mean the job you get will be. For instance you may find hospitality courses easy, but a job in hospitality management will entail working weekends, holidays, and lots of unpaid overtime, possible relocation if you want to move up, with many headaches and constant fires to put out. Some people would love this fast-paced job, I myself would hate it and am far too unorganized to be good at it. What are your strengths, and what would you actually like?

Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 PM

830 posts, read 1,537,164 times
Didn't read all the posts, but as a graduate of a top liberal arts college in a major listed here as "easy," I am going to say that unless you are talking about the hardest of hard sciences, there is no one answer. Majors are taught VERY differently from college to college. What at one college might be writing- and discussion-intensive (yet with clear parameters) as well as requiring many labs and dependent on a good understanding of logic, might at another college be taught straight from a text in huge lecture halls with all multiple choice exams. If you want an easy major, go to an easy school which accepts close to 100% of applicants. Then, standards will not be high.

The best colleges don't even offer majors in things like business administration or "general studies."

And yes, the student's own strengths are a factor.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
I agree that it depends on the person. Writing a lot of papers such as is required for many humanities majors can be easy or hard. Ditto science and math. However, there are some majors outside of those that are easy for everyone.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:57 AM

993 posts, read 1,559,884 times
From the people I've met who've pursued these degrees, I'd have to say Communications and Marketing.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:46 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
It would e interesting to see where all of those who posted here up to seven years ago seeking "the soft life" are today, particularly those who deluded themselves into assuming a heavy burden of student-loan debt.

The workings of an open economy -- something vilified and demonized by Trumpsters and Snowflakes alike -- tend to address imbalances and settle old scores very effectively.

Rant about a "one per cent" as much as you like; their wealth is miniscule compared to what's already at work in the non-profit sector, and if you seek to "redistribute" it, you're only short-changing your own future.

Because North America hasn't been the only game in tow for several decades; a lot of those who grew up expecting to be chiefs are going to have to settle for being braves -- if they have the guts.

And the barbarians are sill with us -- flooding and fouling the streets of our soiled cities, and getting uglier and nastier every day.

Those of us who grew up and stayed in smaller communities -- who know and respect our neighbors -- will adapt; we always have, and always will, and issues like race don't have anything to do with it.

But I wouldn't want to be out there on the street with a freshly-issued degree in intellectual finger-painting, and no skills -- save in dodging hard choices; (which are only likely to get a lot harder).

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-11-2018 at 09:13 PM..

Old 04-13-2018, 02:15 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
All courses require about the same amount of "work". I've taken college courses in recent years. Are you talking about work load or brain smarts?

I took College Spanish recently, at least 3 assignments were due every week (including homework) a test was taken every other week, there was a group project. It was a lot of work. It was an online college credit course. Very time consuming.

I took an advanced biology class about 5 years ago. No assignments or homework; your whole grade was based on 4 tests and a final exam.

You would have to look at the course syllabus for each class and decide how much work is involved.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:30 AM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
If mathematics comes easily to you, I would say Math. Many of these students can't write a coherent sentence - or speak one. However, they are good with numbers.

Last edited by sheena12; 04-18-2018 at 12:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities