Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 11:23 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,805,838 times

Advertisements

Liberal arts majors get attacked for their majors more, so of course they defend themselves more. I don't even understand how this is a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 08:15 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If you were to see a white crow, a genetic abnormality to be sure, would you conclude that all crows are white? Does seeing a white crow render the statement “crows are black” as untrue? Surely you understand the concept of an anomaly. . .

The existence of an anomaly does nothing to render my prior statement untrue.

You're the one claiming it is an anomaly. Not I.

And you're statement is really an opinion, not a fact. It also misses that liberal arts majors aren't attacking STEM majors left and right, but for some reason STEM majors (and I am one at the undergrad level) feel the need to attack liberal arts majors. I wonder why people in those fields are so defensive.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:14 AM

10,703 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You're the one claiming it is an anomaly. Not I.
Did I say that you had made such a claim?

Quote:
And you're statement is really an opinion, not a fact.
The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote:
It also misses that liberal arts majors aren't attacking STEM majors left and right, but for some reason STEM majors (and I am one at the undergrad level) feel the need to attack liberal arts majors. I wonder why people in those fields are so defensive.
This "liberal arts vs. STEM" thing comes up quite a bit here on CD. In any of those discussions, you can see exactly what I'm talking about. But if you disagree, I'm sure you'll have no problem linking to the posts where all those Engineering and Accounting majors are claiming that their degrees are "just as good" as a degree in English or Sociology.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
This "liberal arts vs. STEM" thing comes up quite a bit here on CD. In any of those discussions, you can see exactly what I'm talking about. But if you disagree, I'm sure you'll have no problem linking to the posts where all those Engineering and Accounting majors are claiming that their degrees are "just as good" as a degree in English or Sociology.
The point is they don't walk into discussions saying that out of the blue. It comes about because people are specifically telling them their majors suck and are useless.

That happens on this forum constantly. Thread after thread turns into the same thing.

Here's what your statements look like to me:

People: YOU SUCK JEFF! ANDY IS BETTER!
Jeff: Hey I don't suck.
People: YES YOU DO!
Jeff: Hey I'm just as good as Andy.
You: You ever notice how defensive Jeff is? What's up with that? Andy never says anything about Jeff! Jeff must know he sucks.
Me. ?????

You are not making any sense. LOL

Old 05-01-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
The point is they don't walk into discussions saying that out of the blue. It comes about because people are specifically telling them their majors suck and are useless.

That happens on this forum constantly. Thread after thread turns into the same thing.

Here's what your statements look like to me:

People: YOU SUCK JEFF! ANDY IS BETTER!
Jeff: Hey I don't suck.
People: YES YOU DO!
Jeff: Hey I'm just as good as Andy.
You: You ever notice how defensive Jeff is? What's up with that? Andy never says anything about Jeff! Jeff must know he sucks.
Me. ?????
Your point would have more merit if you were to quote where I have said such things, rather than making up something that you claim "looks like" what I've said.

Quote:
You are not making any sense. LOL
I have been perfectly clear in what I've said, but if you are having trouble understanding any of it, let me know which part you are referring to, and I will do my best to help you to understand it.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Your point would have more merit if you were to quote where I have said such things, rather than making up something that you claim "looks like" what I've said.

I have been perfectly clear in what I've said, but if you are having trouble understanding any of it, let me know which part you are referring to, and I will do my best to help you to understand it.

You said this:

Quote:
Does anyone else find it strange that those who major in liberal arts fields are constantly trying to convince others (and themselves) that their LA degree is at least as good as a degree in a field like engineering or accounting, but the engineering and accounting majors NEVER try to claim that their degree is as good as a liberal arts degree?
I will say this again slowly.

You said LA majors are always trying to say their degrees are as good as STEM degrees but not the other way around.

I said that's obviously because they get attacked more since people on here are forever declaring their degrees worthless LOL. STEM majors have no need to defend their degrees on here.

You have no point. There is nothing strange about people defending themselves when attacked.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:

You said this:

I will say this again slowly.

You said LA majors are always trying to say their degrees are as good as STEM degrees but not the other way around.
And that is an accurate statement.

Quote:
I said that's obviously because they get attacked more since people on here are forever declaring their degrees worthless LOL. STEM majors have no need to defend their degrees on here.

You have no point. There is nothing strange about people defending themselves when attacked.
The point is self-evident. I'm sorry that you don't understand it.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:19 PM

The irony here is that you are inadvertently making the case for liberal arts degrees. LMAO

Old 05-01-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
The irony here is that you are inadvertently making the case for liberal arts degrees. LMAO
Ooh, zing! I guess I've been put in my place.

I guess I'll just have to take solace in watching the employment statistics of those that choose to major in fields that are in-demand, and pay well.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:56 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:

Did I ever say such posts exists? No. Never. I countered a different situation where you said a situation never happens, and I countered that I've seen that situation several times, first hand.

Your reading comprehension isn't overly strong. I too struggled with that being a STEM major. It took a lot of work to get to a place where I could successfully perform in non-STEM roles and grad school because of that aspect lacking in my education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities