U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 06:21 PM

7,221 posts, read 13,472,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
As a Midwesterner, I've always found farmland to have a certain beauty. There's a lot in nature that's beautiful, and it isn't all mountains and ocean.
I spent a year in Kansas and ten years in Minnesota. So yes, I agree with you. However, the rolling hills and prairies found in the Midwest do not really exist in California, at least not in Nor Cal. California is the U.S.'s largest rice producer; something like 2 million tons a year. This rice, well roughly 95% of it, is grown within a 100 mile radius around the Capital. Davis is roughly 12 miles from Sacramento, so Davis is surrounded by rice paddy's. There are many of varieties of fruits, vegetables, and nuts, too, but it is predominately rice. Plus there is all the smog, dust, and drought that make the landscape dry and brown.

I dunno, I grew up in Sacto and am [t]here now for the Holidays. I just don't see the beauty. But that is probably just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eling View Post
Current itinerary:

CA

Monterey Institute of International Studies

ME
C. of the Atlantic
Ah, you can't go wrong with Monterey, and I forgot about C.O.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 09:58 PM

440 posts, read 101,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Look at Michigan Tech.
This, also Marshall/WVU.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:16 AM

20,805 posts, read 29,308,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Agreed. Gustavus had a pretty setting, too, until the tornado. Their lack of cohesive architecture in buildings always bothered me, but the hilltop setting above the Minnesota River valley was nice.
Oh I know, the whole town looks so empty since those 200+ year old trees were destroyed, the park along 169 just below campus especially. St. Peter is still one of my favorite towns though.

Bemidji would be another consideration for the OP. It's right on Lake Bemidji. The lake side of the campus is beautiful. It's just steps out your dorm for fishing, etc. There is an abundance of hunting land within a couple miles of campus as well. They even have rooms set up to clean fish and prepare game (deer, pheasants, etc.). It is very much a rural area, biggest town around there actually.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:14 PM

29 posts, read 22,292 times
Try Berry College in Rome, Georgia it is situated in the mountains.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 10,294 times
Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio.

Check out both the College and the village on Google Images, and you will get a sense of the architecture. The surrounding countryside, though, is gorgeous and needs to be experienced firsthand.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:59 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,281,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown Blues View Post
Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio.

Check out both the College and the village on Google Images, and you will get a sense of the architecture. The surrounding countryside, though, is gorgeous and needs to be experienced firsthand.
I agree- many Ohio Colleges are in beautiful settings. Denison is another. Be aware though that almost all have a religious affiliation. Not everyone wants that. I'll also mention:
Davidson, Va
The College of the South, Tenn
Va Tech, Va

Check out CollegeProwler.com or StateUniversity.com for everything you need to know to answer your question.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:14 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,727,196 times
While visiting Richmond we drove out to U.VA and it was gorgeous. Drop in on Monticello, Mr. Jefferson's old home while you're there.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:17 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,986,260 times
Longwood University in Farmville, VA, and nearby Hampden-Sydney College.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:22 PM

25,174 posts, read 11,587,797 times
A third for Cornell. The hills give great scenic views. And there are waterfalls and gorges on campus.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:25 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,917,812 times
I always liked Davis & Elkins in WV ....... lots of neat rural campuses in the mountains and foothills through WV, PA & NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities