Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:49 AM

9 posts, read 24,994 times

Advertisements

I dropped out of high-school at 16 because I had a mind of my own, got into a lot of trouble due to being very outspoken and didn't feel like school was needed to succeed in life, I still think that way, however. My decision to drop out was also easily made because my parents have been running a successful company for longer than a decade (which I could run later), and were so nice to also built a house for me when I was younger. I would "never" die of hunger or end up on the street because I couldn't pay my mortgage. I still managed to get my High School diploma. it's a long story so I won't go into detail.

I turn 19 in a couple of months. These last years my life has been nothing but boring and sad because of doing absolutely nothing but sitting in front of a computer/tv. My weight skyrocketed and I didn't communicate with anyone besides my parents and occasionally a friend. But when 2011 started, I went abroad for 6 months and finally saw what life had to offer. I lost all the weight, learned to be independent, cooked the first meal in my life and much more.

Obviously all good things come to an end when I went back to live with my parents 2 months ago. At least I am more active now by going to the gym 5x a week and interacting more with others, so that's a plus. The one thing that has been bothering me is what I should do with my life. My father wants me to help run 'our' business, but I do not feel like doing that right now. I want to experience more in life. He told me I do not need to re-invent the wheel by doing something else because everything is right in front of me. In some way he is right, but I know I do not want to live a boring existence like he does just yet.

The reason I want to go to college is because I want to learn a profession and spend my time on something useful. I don't know if going into debt just to go to college is a smart move, but it's better then what I am currently doing. I don't care much about finding a job after graduating. I can always go work at my parents' company after that.

So, after reading my rant. What do you think I should do? All opinions will be appreciated!

PS: Should I go through with this, I will be an international student.

Last edited by tudo bem; 12-15-2011 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 10:55 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
I guess the question is what do you want to do? You might be better off learning a vocation than getting a degree because that is what everyone says you need to be considered successful. If you want to be an engineer, accountant, get into technology careers or such then a degree might be useful.
Otherwise most people get a degree simply so HR people don't immediately toss their resume in the trash and take jobs that used to be done by simple HS graduates.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:55 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
I really disliked high school. I got into a lot of trouble by going against the grain every-which-way I could. I wasn't exactly a trouble maker. I, too, was very outspoken, had an opinion on everything, and would generally rather be doing something else instead of going to school. I would have dropped out, but doing so would have really upset my parents. So for their sake (and my behind), I stuck it out.

I didn't consider college while in high school. My plan was to go into the Air Force (yeah, I know, sounds contradictory). I had a lot of fun after high school, and boy was I glad that part of my life was over, got to see much of the U.S. and some of Europe, but was generally not satisfied. At 22, I saw many of my friends either graduating from college or entering grad school. I thought that was the answer; college. I thought I would get an education and a degree and do something "productive" with my life.

I ended up at a community college at 23, and I loved it. It seemed so different than high school. Honestly, I don't know if it was because it was college, my age, or maturity at that time, but entering college at that age-for me-me sense.

But that is just me. It sounds like you don't need college, let alone wanting it. My advice would be to try a community college for a semester or two to see if it is something you might want to continue pursuing. In my opinion, too many people go to college because they see it as a way to a well-paying job. And even more students attend college because they think it is something they have to do, are expected to do. I believe college should be something that you want to do, even if you do not have a specific need for being there.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:58 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Go!! Who knows who you will meet or what life experiences you will find. Stay where you are and you will always wonder if you had the backbone to move out of your safe zone, good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudo bem View Post
I dropped out of high-school at 16 because I had a mind of my own, got into a lot of trouble due to being very outspoken and didn't feel like school was needed to succeed in life, I still think that way, however. My decision to drop out was also easily made because my parents have been running a successful company for longer than a decade (which I could run later), and were so nice to also built a house for me when I was younger. I would "never" die of hunger or end up on the street because I couldn't pay my mortgage. I still managed to get my High School diploma. it's a long story so I won't go into detail.

I turn 19 in a couple of months. These last years my life has been nothing but boring and sad because of doing absolutely nothing but sitting in front of a computer/tv. My weight skyrocketed and I didn't communicate with anyone besides my parents and occasionally a friend. But when 2011 started, I went abroad for 6 months and finally saw what life had to offer. I lost all the weight, learned to be independent, cooked the first meal in my life and much more.

Obviously all good things come to an end when I went back to live with my parents 2 months ago. At least I am more active now by going to the gym 5x a week and interacting more with others, so that's a plus. The one thing that has been bothering me is what I should do with my life. My father wants me to help run 'our' business, but I do not feel like doing that right now. I want to experience more in life. He told me I do not need to re-invent the wheel by doing something else because everything is right in front of me. In some way he is right, but I know I do not want to live a boring existence like he does just yet.

The reason I want to go to college is because I want to learn a profession and spend my time on something useful. I don't know if going into debt just to go to college is a smart move, but it's better then what I am currently doing. I don't care much about finding a job after graduating. I can always go work at my parents' company after that.

So, after reading my rant. What do you think I should do? All opinions will be appreciated!

Old 12-15-2011, 11:58 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
financially, i dont think it would be worth it (you will see increased costs as an international student- even at the cheap state schools), but if you and your family are very financially comfortable it could be a good experience for you

Old 12-15-2011, 12:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
college will not offset your dependency on your parents.
no matter how many credentials you have it will not in any way change your behavior nor act as an all mighty passport to dream employment. the behavior which is highly visible to you and everyone else does not stop when you go to the job interview. HR is not a blind servant of credentials. . consider counseling and 12 step consider vocational training consider trying to make it on your own w/o mom and dad.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:04 PM

9 posts, read 24,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I really disliked high school. I got into a lot of trouble by going against the grain every-which-way I could. I wasn't exactly a trouble maker. I, too, was very outspoken, had an opinion on everything, and would generally rather be doing something else instead of going to school. I would have dropped out, but doing so would have really upset my parents. So for their sake (and my behind), I stuck it out.

I didn't consider college while in high school. My plan was to go into the Air Force (yeah, I know, sounds contradictory). I had a lot of fun after high school, and boy was I glad that part of my life was over, got to see much of the U.S. and some of Europe, but was generally not satisfied. At 22, I saw many of my friends either graduating from college or entering grad school. I thought that was the answer; college. I thought I would get an education and a degree and do something "productive" with my life.

I ended up at a community college at 23, and I loved it. It seemed so different than high school. Honestly, I don't know if it was because it was college, my age, or maturity at that time, but entering college at that age-for me-me sense.

But that is just me. It sounds like you don't need college, let alone wanting it. My advice would be to try a community college for a semester or two to see if it is something you might want to continue pursuing. In my opinion, too many people go to college because they see it as a way to a well-paying job. And even more students attend college because they think it is something they have to do, are expected to do. I believe college should be something that you want to do, even if you do not have a specific need for being there.
K-luv.

Community college sounds interesting to me as they usually offer 2 year courses (associate) degree's, correct? How cheaper is it?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:11 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
If you are focused and determined to make it work--DO IT...

Old 12-15-2011, 02:36 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudo bem View Post
You could get an Associates or finish your core curriculum before deciding on a major. A student visa would give you the opportunity to have a job and apply for internships if interested.

And it's a LOT cheaper than a university. Go online, tuition rates are usually available.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:29 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
I say no... you seem to be looking to do something different, not neccesarily a "change" at best I would attend a junior college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities