U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 02:21 AM

19 posts, read 8,489 times
Default Need the Help of the Experts

Hello!

I am currently a Junior at college and just hit a wall, so I need help.

I had an internship this summer as a MIS intern but I hate it a lot. The reason I hate it was mainly because of the useless work they made me do which did not contribute to my education or work experience. I also saw what those IT employees do and it was really boring and sad. They sat for hours on the computers monitoring or coding which was very dreadful.

I decided this semester to add another major to MIS instead of dropping it because I still think its a good major and I should keep it. The other major I added was Marketing because I always loved promoting items and loved to sell things, it gave me a cozy feeling lol. When I took a general Marketing class this semester, it made me hate the major unfortunately BUT mainly due to the dreadful teacher.

Now, I got accepted into my college Entrepreneurship program, which is a highly appreciated program in the country.

I feel I have reached brick wall now because with my current situation I am going to triple majoring and that will push back my proposed graduation date one more semester or even one whole year. Also, not to mention the load of work I am going to be having.

So, my question comes to the more knowledgeable folks on these forum of which major they think I should drop? I was thinking of dropping Marketing and keeping MIS with Entrepreneurship since I BELIEVE MKTG and ENTRE are similar but I am not entirely sure about that.

**If you dont know what MIS is, then please dont reply :|

Thank You Everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:29 AM

20,798 posts, read 30,984,204 times
What were your expectations with an MIS degree in the first place? What did you think you would be doing?

Old 12-16-2011, 10:08 AM

2,019 posts, read 2,520,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAWildCatZ View Post

**If you dont know what MIS is, then please dont reply :|

Thank You Everybody.
Why? Your situation could apply to any program that someone took, began an internship and found that they don't like the work and explored other options.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:05 PM

159 posts, read 98,628 times
If you did not like the work at company you were working for, i would either explore other companys to work for or just drop the major all together. Theres no point in majoring in something that you are not going to work in.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
What were your expectations with an MIS degree in the first place? What did you think you would be doing?
I was expecting to work on computers of course but not to the extreme the other employees were in.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Why? Your situation could apply to any program that someone took, began an internship and found that they don't like the work and explored other options.
Why? I dont think someone would much of a help if they didnt know what Management Information Systems stood for.

You are exactly right, but I came to my senses that MIS is still a good degree and the internship I had did not do it justice.

I need a clear cut answer to my question, of which career I should drop

Old 12-16-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historygrad View Post
If you did not like the work at company you were working for, i would either explore other companys to work for or just drop the major all together. Theres no point in majoring in something that you are not going to work in.
Yes, you are right... I am just afraid of ending with a useless mktg degree like others have because of the negative attitude people have towards the degree.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:45 AM

I need help folks ;l

Old 12-17-2011, 07:46 AM

20,798 posts, read 30,984,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAWildCatZ View Post
I was expecting to work on computers of course but not to the extreme the other employees were in.
I would drop the MIS degree then. You will pretty much just be working on computers writing code with a job in IS, at least for the first 5-10 years. It's what they do.

I would go down to the career placement office at your college and ask to take a career interest survey to see what other areas might interest you.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:21 AM

10,237 posts, read 16,146,308 times
I think your idea of MIS and Entrepreneurship majors makes the most sense. I'm guessing you probably just have a few classes to finish the MIS up. If you are at a small college, chances are that you will encounter the dud marketing Prof again if you stick with that. I also agree that your internship may not wholly reflect your opportunities after graduating. Instead of a being the IT guy for a large company, perhaps you would be happy doing it at a small company. The tech guy where I work is very popular and runs everything.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities