Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:30 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times

Advertisements

How many valuable cos. has MIT or its alums created in past 25yrs?

Any smart kid can self-learn via Kindle, youtube, etc for nr-free

And any smart employer judges most poss productive employees by skills, not fancy diplomas

Many of world's wealthiest engineers are college dropouts or undergrads from crappy state engineering colleges (which I doubt were their first choices or from where they "learned" much)

Relevance of bricks and mortar colleges is about as dubious as that of libraries or bookstores/physical newspapers/mags or suburban shopping malls or suburban big-box retailers or most CBD office towers or most upscale Manhattan/BH shops...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 12:09 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Where have you been? The classes have been offered for some time.

Here is another site that offers course from other top universities:
http://academicearth.org
Oh thank you. I'm long out of college but loved it. I crave learning new things and I can see myself spending countless hours on that site.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:05 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
How many valuable cos. has MIT or its alums created in past 25yrs?

And any smart employer judges most poss productive employees by skills, not fancy diplomas

Many of world's wealthiest engineers are college dropouts or undergrads from crappy state engineering colleges (which I doubt were their first choices or from where they "learned" much)

Relevance of bricks and mortar colleges is about as dubious as that of libraries or bookstores/physical newspapers/mags or suburban shopping malls or suburban big-box retailers or most CBD office towers or most upscale Manhattan/BH shops...
Quote:"How many valuable cos. has MIT or its alums created in past 25yrs?"

More than I can count. (The largest IPO in MA was started by an MIT grad... I should know, I was there).

Quote:""Any smart kid can self-learn via Kindle, youtube, etc for nr-free"

Youtube... now that is an educational instrument. Learn things like what happens when you mix brake fluid with pool chlorine, or mix potassium permanganate (for water purification) with ethylene glycol (car antifreeze). THAT will look good on a resume.

Quote:"And any smart employer judges most poss productive employees by skills, not fancy diplomas"

The fortune-50 employers I have worked for require that you have a degree from one of the schools on their 'list', or they won't hire you. (Obviously this doesn't apply to line workers etc.)

Quote:"Many of world's wealthiest engineers are college dropouts or undergrads from crappy state engineering colleges"

I would like you to substantiate the word 'many' with reliable data demonstrating such. There are a few that have done it, but percentage-wise it is in the noise.

Quote:"Relevance of bricks and mortar colleges is about as dubious as that...."

About as relevant as those individuals that have beliefs/opinions on a topic with no supporting valid evidence.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:03 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Yes, I agree. Certifications are certifications. Depending on the job, some certificates such as the ones received by Microsoft online can be marketable for a job applicant. Of course, they should supplement formal education.
Just realize that a certificate is not a certification, and you can land yourself in very hot water claiming on a job application that a certificate is a certification.
As a general rule, education certificates are not certifications unless a professional organization is awarding the certificate rather than the school.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:13 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,639,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

Quote:"Many of world's wealthiest engineers are college dropouts or undergrads from crappy state engineering colleges"

I would like you to substantiate the word 'many' with reliable data demonstrating such. There are a few that have done it, but percentage-wise it is in the noise.
I think in this instance, he is referring to Bill Gates, Larry Ellison, Mark Zuckerberg, Michael Dell, and Paul Allen, among others.

From that noted source of all things true in the universe (</facetious comment>), Wikipedia:
Quote:
The average net worth of billionaires who dropped out of college, $9.4 billion, is more than double that of billionaires with Ph.D.s, $3.2 billion. Even if you remove the world's second richest man, Bill Gates, who left Harvard University and is now worth $53.0 billion, college dropouts are worth $5.3 billion on average, compared to those who finished only bachelor's degrees, who are worth $2.9 billion. According to a recent report from Cambridge, Mass.-based Forrester Research, 20% of America's millionaires never attended college.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:01 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
My friend took a ton of those free MIT courses years ago. He said he loved every bit of them and would recommend them to anyone. I may take one or two as well, not too sure.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:24 PM

410 posts, read 398,355 times
Quote:
Learn exactly what and in how much detail?

Quote:
Absolutely wrong! There are many industries in which the HR ( or the recruiters ) will toss your resume in the rubbish bin if you don't have a degree.

Quote:
"Many" is a nebulous word, in this case, it means less than 1-2%.
Plus, who do you think these "wealthy dropouts" hire to build out their empire? College dropouts or engineers with degrees?

Quote:
Relevance of bricks and mortar colleges is about as dubious as that of libraries or bookstores/physical newspapers/mags or suburban shopping malls or suburban big-box retailers or most CBD office towers or
most upscale Manhattan/BH shops...

Non sequitor.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:46 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Just signed up! Love it!!
For the more challenged of us...
How did you sign up? I haven't yet found that page on the MIT site for the upcoming online courses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities