Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 10:01 AM

14 posts, read 88,395 times

Advertisements

I just applied to transfer from W&M to CUNY Brooklyn for the fall. I know this is like "transferring down," but I have my reasons (for one thing, I'm a Jewish Studies major...enough said).

I'm a Virginia resident, so if I got in, the tuition would be $13,000 a year. Out-of-state students pay per credit though, so I was considering doing part-time and trying to become a resident so I could do my second year with in-state tuition rates. I'll only have saved up about $5,000 besides.

Is this a bad idea? Has anyone done this?

Also, if you have any comments about CUNY, NYC, etc., I would totally appreciate that as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,768,716 times
Living costs in NYC will kill you if you're from Virginia or anywhere outside of the city area. CUNY schools are great schools, but if you plan on living there on a part-time job, I don't see that as plausible. Go to a state school where you live for two years and get your liberal arts credits out of the way. Work a full-time job and save up as much as you can. I don't recommend moving to NYC unless you have $50K with you and that's the honest truth.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:38 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,134,075 times
It's also not as easy to establish residency as to just show up for a year - that's a pretty common out, so most university systems have safety mechanisms in place

one big hurdle is that your parents won't be able to claim you on their taxes - for example, if you moved there this summer so you could enroll as a resident in the fall of '13, then you absolutely could not be listed on your parents 2012 federal tax returns as a dependent .... they would also want to see your individual tax returns (both federal & NYS), apartment/living history, employment history and an explanation of how you have been supporting yourself as an independent

I also think that once you enroll in a university as an out of state student, that it becomes more difficult to switch over your status within that university

Old 12-22-2011, 02:11 PM

14 posts, read 88,395 times
Quote:
Living costs in NYC will kill you if you're from Virginia or anywhere outside of the city area
I lived in Chicago for a year with no problems. The biggest costs were the train and rent. Is it really that much worse in NYC? I'm planning on having roommates of course, so I'm expecting a rent of $700-800. Unreasonable?

Quote:
It's also not as easy to establish residency as to just show up for a year - that's a pretty common out, so most university systems have safety mechanisms in place
Like what? CUNY has an entire page of how to declare in-state residency, and they even have a whole thing on how to be a citizen. I sense that it's common.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:22 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,134,075 times
I gave an example

Are you currently independent from your parents? Do they claim you as a dependent on their taxes? Do they provide you income to live?

You basically apply and petition in front of the university and then they determine your status - this will vary from public university system to public university system, but most do their due diligence

Old 12-22-2011, 06:11 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,977,435 times
We all know CUNY can be incredibly cheap for in-staters, but 13k per year is not bad at all, very manageable in fact. Most private colleges in the city cost MORE than that per semester. The cost factor will come in your living arrangements. Now if you have a relative or other family you can mooch off freely then go for it. Otherwise, dorming at another school (which Cuny students do all the time) may cost you a small fortune--probably the equivelent of a year's tuition or more. At that point you're looking at 30k plus everything included per year, which is not a wise idea.

If your intention is to live and work in NYC after graduation, I'd say go for it. It's doable but tough. But the cost of your living arrangements will tell everything.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:57 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,028,801 times
To claim residency at most universities, one usually has to prove that they moved to the state for other purposes than school, such as family, job, etc. to receive instate tuition after paying out-of-state tuition for one year. If you move without one of those reasons and begin classes at out-of-state tuition, you will most likely never be able to establish instate residency.

Example: A woman moves with her family to another state, pays out-of-state tuition for one year, and then will be eligible for instate tuition.

I would talk to someone at CUNY before planning anything.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:56 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,351,011 times
To get in-state tuition you will need to be declared an emancipated adult showing that your parents are not supporting you and that you have lived in-state for a year. http://portal.cuny.edu/cms/id/cuny/d.../residency.pdf I would absolutely not do this without talking to the bursar at the college first.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,023 times
hi does anyone know what are the main classes we need in order to transfer to John Jay College of Criminal Justice
college? I am attending a community college in California right now, and I know you need 60 credits to transfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities