Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:07 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,994 times

Advertisements

My Cousin just finished her first semester in College and is quite proud of her B+ Average for the five classes she took.

In High School she had a 3.95 GPA but she said getting straight A's would be nearly impossible in college, especially her first semester. She claims that 90% of the grades are B's or C's and very few A's are given out in college at the undergraduate level.

Is this really true? I assumed that most good students got A's, just like in High School.

* She attends a 3000 student private Liberal Arts College that was very selective to get into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 09:14 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
usually the more selective colleges tend to inflate grades more, but it totally depends on the specific school and the major.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 AM

504 posts, read 1,270,706 times
Depends. If grading is done on some sort of a curve - which is how it usually was for me - then grades are basically a zero-sum game. If a B+ student gets an A, someone from the A pool drops down.

Whether a B+ average is something to be proud of depends on the level of competition and the difficulty of the material.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:20 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Depends. If grading is done on some sort of a curve - which is how it usually was for me - then grades are basically a zero-sum game. If a B+ student gets an A, someone from the A pool drops down.

Whether a B+ average is something to be proud of depends on the level of competition and the difficulty of the material.
even on a curve, some schools/professors will choose to put the average at a B instead of a C (or lower too i guess but i havent seen this), so again it really depends

Old 12-28-2011, 09:55 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
It completely depends on the school.
A B+ average at Stanford is atrocious. A B+ average at Caltech or University of Chicago is awesome.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
Default Man..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
My Cousin just finished her first semester in College and is quite proud of her B+ Average for the five classes she took.

In High School she had a 3.95 GPA but she said getting straight A's would be nearly impossible in college, especially her first semester. She claims that 90% of the grades are B's or C's and very few A's are given out in college at the undergraduate level.

Is this really true? I assumed that most good students got A's, just like in High School.

* She attends a 3000 student private Liberal Arts College that was very selective to get into.
What is it with all those self-validation threads on here!? Now even for other people their relatives?

B+ is a GOOD GPA. Now you will find some people on here who will try to water it down, but it's some random person behind a computer screen who probably never even went to College himself. No surprise,though, since most people on here claim they went to a Top 10 College and had a 3.8+ GPA. And, of course, most also majored in Engineering or some other "tough" major.

Of course she can be proud of it. Why even question it!? Makes me think you have/had a lower GPA and you're trying to water down her accomplishments...

Old 12-28-2011, 10:31 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,994 times
She took the standard courses needed for general education common to Freshman.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:23 PM

191 posts, read 485,810 times
It depends on the curriculum she studied, you say the general studies of freshman level, well maybe the coursework was more challenging than normal in her case. I would admit though, to me, it is less of a challenge to get A's in high school than in college and I would be more than excited to get a B+ average as well. I think you are being a debbie downer in my opinion though. Its her FIRST semester in college and the coursework is probably more challenging than anything she has ever experienced.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:27 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
From what I've seen, your college GPA by itself isn't what will matter to future employers, at least not directly.. as long as you pass. But...

It's a measure of the quality of your learning. If you don't take learning seriously even if you pass, you're gonna have problems later in your career.

It's far from failing but also far from perfect. So there's definitely room for improvement in the future (regardless of whether your school has grade inflation/deflation, whether you tried your "hardest", etc.)

Old 12-28-2011, 12:28 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
She took the standard courses needed for general education common to Freshman.

Really? She's doing pretty well in college (and probably better than most) and you are worried about minimizing her efforts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities