Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:37 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,385 times

Advertisements

When I started college I couldn't wait to get out on my own and explore the campus. I wanted to see the whole place and see every square foot of the campus and go into buildings just to check them out even if I did not classes in them. I enjoyed hanging out in the student union and people watch and observe the scene.

I was talking to some relatives the other day who just started college and asked them if they had a chance to explore their new colleges. They looked at me like I had two heads. They said, "Why would I want to bother going into a campus building that I don't have a class in or bother to walk over to a side of the campus I have no business?" Many of them had not even checked out the student union! They had no natural curiousity what was in a specific building or seeing what was on the other side of campus. To them one building was the same as another and one side of the campus was the same as another.

Can you relate to my interest or my relatives who thought I was crazy?

Last edited by Workaholic?; 01-06-2012 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 06:40 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
I was frequently on the hunt for an empty computer lab (people distract me when im working), so I explored all sorts of random buildings haha.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,279 times
I used to explore the campus too... I'd go out and randomly enter buildings, classrooms, and everything. Explore for new libraries as well. I was at a pretty big university-- so there was tons to explore. It was awesome.

But then again, I also like to see different university campuses. Some of them are fun to walk through and some have nice architecture to check out.

I've seen Auburn, Penn State, USC, Baylor, TCU, SMU, Texas, Texas Tech, Columbia, NYU, TWU, North Texas, UTSA, University of San Diego, A&M... the list goes on.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
I can't really relate.

I went looking at colleges after I graduated High School and at that point I would want to explore but when I was accepted into the college that I graduated from, I really wasn't all too much interested in exploring it for some reason.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
My college campus is amazing with incredible buildings and architecture from the 1700s/1800s. I was very excited to explore and learn about it. I understand where you are coming from.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
I hear some campuses have steam tunnels where you can play Dungeons and Dragons....

Old 01-06-2012, 09:23 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
It's been about a decade since I graduated from college, but while there I always enjoyed exploring campus. I still love college campuses, whether I "belong" there or not -- there's always interesting things going on, and even just checking out the postings on the walls can be entertaining. Outside of college, I've also always been very interested in exploring new cities and different neighborhoods, and while traveling always like to check out things like local grocery stores, etc., which I think is sort of the same thing. I have some relatives who don't understand that at all. I'm sure they would relate to your relatives. In any case, I think it comes down to a personality thing. Some people are interested in the world around them, others tend to focus only on what is directly relevant to them.

I am also a bit biased here, but my guess is that those who have no interest in exploring their surroundings are also less likely to explore different academic interests or to want to take courses outside of their chosen major. I think those people tend to be boring, but I suspect some may just be very focused on one very targeted interest or passion (while some are, frankly, just boring.). I was always a bit of a dabbler, and very much enjoyed taking courses in a wide variety of topics. I would not be surprised to learn that the ways in which college students interact with their surroundings is indicative of how they approach their studies, as well as life in general.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:23 PM

43 posts, read 113,982 times
me too. it's because we are adventurous

Old 01-08-2012, 12:24 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Nope, but the University of Miami campus is really small. The palm trees however, NEVER got old for me :P

Old 01-08-2012, 07:15 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Your relatives sound boring. Just tell them you have appreciation and interest for the architecture and history that Universities have.

Maybe they attend a school with a campus that doesn't have much character or charm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities