U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:10 AM

7 posts, read 12,786 times

Advertisements

I have a 3.3 GPA doing my general ed at a community college, 1st year, undeclared major

I don't have many EC's and my GPA from what I know isn't likely to get me into any good school...

So I'm thinking my best bet is engineering, its pretty interesting to me and I really believe even if I don't end up being an engineer It will benefit me!
I wanted to do Computer Science (way of the future) but I hear a lot of bad things about that major.

TLDR is an Engineering degree from a low tier (Cal Poly Pomona maybe, more likely CSU fulerton) a path to a good paying job and job security???

Last edited by alcibiades; 01-20-2012 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 AM

Because if its not useful I'm just going to Major in business.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 PM

156 posts, read 628,488 times
Don't major in business, it is a useless degree.

Yes, plenty of people get engineering jobs for a 2nd and 3rd tier engineering school.

Make sure you do some research as soon as possible (not just fetching coffee type "research).

You can, and probably should, do a masters degree afterwards somewhere else.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:57 PM

447 posts, read 1,960,597 times
For undergraduate enginering programs, the single most important thing to look for is whether the school and program are ABET accredited. ABET is a consortium of engineering employers and academic institutions that determine what coursework is most important in actual practice.

ABET -

It appears both of the institutions you mentioned have certain ABET accredited programs. ABET accreditation is important becasue you may want to later sit for an examination to earn a profesional engineering license or further your education at a graduate school. Having a Bachelors Degree form an ABET aacredited institution makes both these things exponetially easier for you.

There are plenty of good engineering schools out there that do not require you to have an amazing GPA. Many engineering programs will admit most students as 'pre-engineering' students. Those pre-engineering students that complete their core coursework with a certain minimum GPA are allowed to continue on to the full-fledged engineering program and complete their degree.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:36 PM

forget a masters degree. it will take to long, if the engineering degree is useless on its own id rather go for a bussiness degree

in 8 years the world will be an extremely different place.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:56 PM

156 posts, read 628,488 times
Too long? Most schools have a BS/MS option that you can complete in 4 or 5 years.

I guess you've got it figured out then.

For others, I'd highly advise not studying business (at the BA level). MBA is different (so long as the MBA is from a top 10 school).

Old 01-20-2012, 02:51 PM

Well I'm no matter what starting my own business in some way or another, should I still not study business?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:16 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,600,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcibiades View Post
Well I'm no matter what starting my own business in some way or another, should I still not study business?
No if you're an engineer, you can partner with others who can help you monetize your project later on. The key thing with any tech entrepreneur is to keep your start-up lean & mean and do nearly all the technical back-end work yourself.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:01 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,791,732 times
Wow where to begin ...

First off, yes, getting a degree from a mid-tier college in engineering can still be very very useful. Plenty of engineers I know at Boeing went to Purdue, Iowa, Iowa State, Montana, etc. Plenty also came from colleges "lower" in the rankings. The best thing you can do is study hard, get good grades, and GET EXPERIENCE IN INTERNSHIPS. Most employers don't give a sh*t where you went in engineering if you don't have any practical experience like research work, internships in industry,etc.

Don't fret, just work hard and enjoy

So ... with that covered ...

If you're going to start your own business, have you determined what business that is yet? Is it technical where an engineering degree would help? Or is it a fruit stand type of small business where pretty much you don't even need a college degree to found? Is it highly technical or not? If not, then I would question whether you need to go into engineering and spend tens of thousands of dollars on it.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:17 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,228,275 times
Keep in mind, if you're considering Engineering vs. Business ... you should really think about what you want. Engineering is a HUGE commitment and it's something you should really love if you want to go in to it. If you don't have at least some sort of passion towards what you're doing with Engineering, I might suggest going a different route.

Do what really interests you, not what you think will be a "stable job". **Within reason**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities