Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,944 times

Advertisements

Ok, here is my story.

I am 28, I was in the military for 9 years. I currently work as an Assistant Store Manager for a retail store in the mall. I actually enjoy my job but want to further my career/knowledge.

I did not do great in highschool, I have a few college credits from a community college that works with the Army, that helps my GPA look better.

I tried going to school as soon as I got out, but my heart was not in it and flunked out.

I am ready to give this another go, I want to get a BA in Business Administration, preferably online. I do have my GI bill, but I don't want to pay huge out of state tuition. I currently live in Tennessee, but can claim residence in Georgia, and (maybe) Texas.

Opinions? Questions? Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
If you're worried about cost, go with the state schools. I don't know if you're concerned about rankings and AACSB accreditation, but you have plenty of choices in Texas and Georgia if you do. American Military University is cheap and is popular among the military, but some people are concerned about the reputation of for-profits. I've come across a lot of military who opted for Excelsior (they give generous discounts to military), Charter Oak, and Thomas Edison State College. A lot of military like them because they can take CLEPs and DSSTs for free and transfer up to 120 credits to those school. Just about every other school requires you to take at least 30 credits in courses with them. I think Thomas Edison gives in-state tuition to those in the military. There are actually several schools that give in-state tuition rates to military no matter where they are. PM me if you would like the link to a forum that has a lot of information on these schools.

I highly recommend this website for anyone living in the South. It lists hundreds of online programs offered by schools in the Southern Association. Some of them give in-state tuition rates to anyone living in the South and attending online. Just look for the schools that have the symbol for "electronic rate."

Electronic Campus - Select a College - E-learning through the Electronic Campus - Search Current Programs

I also recommend this website to get a feel of tuition rates, but some of them are out of date.

Best Business Degree Online

This website might have more degree programs that aren't listed on the other two.

Bachelors Degree in Business Online | BS Business Online Bachelors Degrees | Online BSBA - eLearners.com

Old 01-23-2012, 09:12 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,683 times
I would recommend Western Governors University. It is fully accredited and is competency based. That means that you can progress as you see fit. They have a lot of programs for vets. I am earning my MBA from there and have a lot of contacts in the undergrad program.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
While this is outside of your home area I'll mention it for a few reasons.

The first is that you may be willing to move. The second is that it's available for online programs if you aren't. The third is that it's a fantastic deal if you can get it.

If you have the post 9/11, yellow ribbon, GI Bill then Drexel University could be a good financial fit

Here is a link ot their veterans page

Veteran Student Resources | Student Resource Center/Financial Aid | Drexel University

Here is a link to their general veterans financing page

Financing and Certification Resources for Veterans | Student Resource Center/Financial Aid | Drexel University

However, here is the exciting link to their yellow ribbon page

Yellow Ribbon Program | Student Resource Center/Financial Aid | Drexel University

Quote:
Drexel University has committed $2 million to offer free education to an unlimited number of military veterans across all of the University's full- and part-time undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, and professional programs — both on campus and online — as part of its participation in the new GI Bill's Yellow Ribbon Program.

In the program, a partnership between the federal government and Drexel, the University will match the government's contribution to the cost of an education, allowing eligible veterans to attend Drexel with no out-of-pocket expenses.
Quote:
I live in another state — can I still attend Drexel and receive Yellow Ribbon benefits?

Absolutely. You can live anywhere in the world and still receive a Drexel education free of charge.
Quote:
What tuition will I be charged at Drexel?

Tuition is free for Yellow Ribbon participants whether you study on one of our campuses or online, full- or part-time. University fees are also paid by the VA, which offers a book allowance as well. A housing stipend might be available to you under the program.
Quote:
What programs at Drexel are available to me under Yellow Ribbon?

All Drexel University programs and degrees are open to Yellow Ribbon participants — at our University City Main and Center City Hahnemann campuses, as well as the Queen Lane Medical Campus, in Philadelphia; at our campus in Burlington County, NJ; and at the Sacramento Center for Graduate Studies in California. You may also enroll in an online program through Drexel University Online.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,944 times
I appreciate all of the responces. I am looking for a more traditional university with an online componet. Preferably one that does not charge out of state tuition. I was hoping that someone on here would know where to find a school like that. Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:20 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
If you're looking to go the online route and using your GI Bill I would recommend Park University. A very military friendly school which has a brick and mortar campus in Missouri and a reputable online curriculum as well.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_mi View Post
I appreciate all of the responces. I am looking for a more traditional university with an online componet. Preferably one that does not charge out of state tuition. I was hoping that someone on here would know where to find a school like that. Thanks again.
Just look at the links I posted. There are plenty of traditional schools on them. All of the schools from the Southern Association website are traditional. It lists schools in Georgia and Texas and other southern schools that give online students in-state tuition rates. You've been given the resources; you just have to put in a little effort on your end. Park University is a good recommendation because it gives a discount to active duty military. Drexel University is also a traditional school.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:24 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,271 times
UT Austin has a program called Fresh Start but, your credits from the past won't count, hence the name "Fresh Start" (I think).

Quote:
If you’re a Texas resident and you would like to apply for undergraduate admission without having courses you completed 10 or more years ago considered, you should apply for Academic Fresh Start, an option established as part of the Texas Education Code.
Academic Fresh Start | Be a Longhorn

BTW, thank you for serving!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:35 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Yep - I read 3 major components out of the original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_mi View Post
I want to get a BA in Business Administration, preferably online.

I do have my GI bill, but I don't want to pay huge out of state tuition.

I currently live in Tennessee, but can claim residence in Georgia, and (maybe) Texas.
If you are looking to complete your degree online I would recommend two major options. Either a private with a good aid package or in-state tuition with any state you can claim residency.

The actual physical location of the school will only matter as much as if you qualify for resident tuition. Aside from that you'd want the reputation of the degree, quality of the program (from an online viewpoint), etc.

You state you have the GI Bill - I have no idea if it's the yellow ribbon program or not - however, looking at your timeline it very well could be.

I mentioned Drexel because of this.

It's a very legit and well regarded university.

Drexel University | Best College | US News

They have a traditional campus in Philadelphia - but they are also a very technical school and have a fairly robust online program.

It's base tuition and fees are currently around $35,000. If you get admitted and can use the yellow ribbon GI Bill benefits that number drops to $0.

You can also get money for books, housing, etc.

Depending on program if you attend the physical campus you can work either 1 or 3 paid 6 month internships. Given that a lot of your cost would be taken care of (if you qualify) that's money in the bank while providing some real world experience that can help direct your field of study & career.

While it may not have been a perfect fit and not completely knowing what GI Bill you would be attending under - I threw it out there because if you did qualify for the free tuition it's an absolutely fantastic deal

However, others did throw out other options that could work as well.

If you are looking for traditional brick schools that have either online components or online programs just search the publics in the states you could qualify for residency.

Here is East TN State University - they even offer a large tuition discount to out of state students who are taking classes fully online

Online Home

Georgia State has a blended program for business (fully online for education) and they are actually playing Drexel in basketball tommorrow night

Online Courses — Enrollment Services — Enrollment Services — Georgia State University

Here is a broader resource for online learning through public universities in Georgia

Georgia ONmyLINE

Georgia Southern has a fully online business program - as well as blended learning

Georgia Southern University

Here is a broader resource for Texas

Online degrees at Texas public universities

The University of Houston has a fully online business program as well as blended courses

UH Distance Education - Home

There are a ton of resources out there and many were provided in this thread ....... you will have to put in the legwork, see which program fits for you, offers what you need and look at all the angles.

This forum is great for general guidance, pointing someone in the right direction or giving opinions on specific programs/places etc.

However, a lot of this is going to have to be self motivated - just like getting in and through a college program (online or otherwise) will be self motivated

Old 01-25-2012, 05:44 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
If you have to do it online do it from a brick and mortar school that has a good reputation. Stay away from the for-profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities