Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 02:20 PM

227 posts, read 256,568 times

Advertisements

I've taken physics and gotten As, I'm in accounting and getting As. I think you have to be able to think the right ways for these classes...if you can't deal with some abstracts you're in for a tough time. And innate skills helps a lot of course. I'm naturally good at all things medical/science or numbers.

I've fought to hold on to the A in my management class and really don't know if I will manage, final is Monday, so tomorrow is cram day for it. It was kind of depressing to earn As in physics, calculus, chemistry, only to struggle to earn an A in management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,772 times
Accounting has little to do with math, but with concepts, and understanding the laws and rules of the profession( like any other discipline). One must invests the time and energy. If he/she does that , then it will not be as difficult as one may thinks. I had a very difficult time in college, majoring in Accounting. Pretty much blew the CPA the first time around. However, after much persistent, I passed the exam(it took many, many, many hours to pass) and now I am a CFO for a very large company. Stay encouraged! BTW, I am a AA, which made my journey very lonely.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:22 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,401,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakbearcountry View Post
I've taken physics and gotten As, I'm in accounting and getting As. I think you have to be able to think the right ways for these classes...if you can't deal with some abstracts you're in for a tough time. And innate skills helps a lot of course. I'm naturally good at all things medical/science or numbers.

I've fought to hold on to the A in my management class and really don't know if I will manage, final is Monday, so tomorrow is cram day for it. It was kind of depressing to earn As in physics, calculus, chemistry, only to struggle to earn an A in management.
Accounting is a difficult as they want to make it. I have a $100 accounting book that doesn't explain the basic accounting equation until page 48. The equation is about 3rd grade level.

Double-entry accounting is 700 years old. It isn't really that complicated. But European culture has defined it has a PROFESSION therefore it must be difficult to join and designed to exclude people. If they just taught everyone how to do the math and what they are likely to encounter in real-life then very few people would be impressed by the Profession, which would probably not be so lucrative once everyone understood.

A 100 year old accounting book is free:

Accounting Theory and Practice (1917) by Roy Kester
https://archive.org/details/accountingtheor00kestgoog

psik

Old 06-10-2019, 01:50 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,464,766 times
Interesting question even though it is an old original post. As many have stated, the math involved in accounting is t hard, but the concepts and rules can be tricky, even for very smart people. I’m in an Ivy League MBA program right now and there are plenty of people with masters and PHDs in engineering from top schools who are struggling in accounting.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:12 PM

4,830 posts, read 6,844,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Interesting question even though it is an old original post. As many have stated, the math involved in accounting is t hard, but the concepts and rules can be tricky, even for very smart people. I’m in an Ivy League MBA program right now and there are plenty of people with masters and PHDs in engineering from top schools who are struggling in accounting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's all about your aptitude. Some people are wired to be able to throw all the segments together into the big picture and it makes sense. Others (Me included) aren't. It's not even an intelligence thing. I took many courses in the "B" school (statistics, business law, and econ. as the best examples) where I got better grades than many of the accounting majors, yet I had to bust my butt to even get a C in Intermediate Accounting.

As you stated, it's not the math as it's actually pretty basic. It's the concepts and making everything fit neatly together.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:16 PM

12,688 posts, read 9,191,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
They probably just find it terribly boring.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 AM

1,199 posts, read 716,128 times
Accounting is similar to law. It has no math. You look at a chart to find the time value of money numbers to value a bond.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:59 AM

37,753 posts, read 40,828,546 times
I vote with the ones who say it is boring...then there were people like me who couldn't squeeze her numbers into the little boxes. I'm assuming it's all electronic these days.

But, why would you want to major in something you know little about? Even if it paid well, could you see yourself doing something for the rest of your life that you aren't too enthused about?

Old 06-18-2019, 10:02 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,706,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Accounting is similar to law. It has no math. You look at a chart to find the time value of money numbers to value a bond.
It has no math?

You got to be joking...

Old 06-18-2019, 10:06 AM

1,199 posts, read 716,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It has no math?

You got to be joking...
I never saw algebra, trigonometry or calculus in a P&L Sheet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities