Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:35 PM

176 posts, read 288,333 times

Advertisements

Alright so I’m in the need of a little advice. I’m trying to figure out what school I want to go to and I’ve narrowed it down to six options. Since many of these schools are extremely competitive I also need some advice on how to get into them!

The options:
John Hopkins University
Georgetown University
George Washington University
University of Maryland College Park
American University
George Mason University

I know there are some major differences between all of those, so here’s some background information on me:

I’m currently attending Northern Virginia Community College to get my associate’s degree. I’m a biology major, hoping to specialize in zoology, mainly conservation research and ethological research but I’m pretty much in love with all things wildlife so I can broaden my interests easily. I’m in my second semester right now, with a 3.76 GPA (with some honors courses), and hope to get that GPA up even more. I do NOT have a high school transcript as I dropped out at an early age and got my GED. I’m a Phi Theta Kappa member and plan on getting involved in the community through them. I don’t have SAT or ACT scores but plan on taking them in the future.

I live in Washington, DC (inner city, not suburbs) and because of my job (fulltime), my long term boyfriend, and my love of the city I do not want to move any time in the future though I am willing to commute to John Hopkins. This is why I haven’t included any schools outside of the DC area.

What do you all think the best fit would be for me considering the profession I want to go into? How can I raise my chances of acceptance into the more competitive schools (Georgetown, John Hopkins, etc.)? From a zoological standpoint what it the best choice?

Before anyone asks money is not really something that I feel will affect my decision. I honestly don’t have or make enough money to pay for ANY of these schools myself so no matter what I choose it will involve aid, grants, scholarships, and loans.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:08 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Are you planning on going to professional school?

If not I'd say pick the cheapest because biology is a useless degree.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Looking purely at those choices and not at the variables, I would put John Hopkins as my first choice and then Georgetown as number 2.

That being said, I recommend asking this over at college confidential's website. The kids on that website will tell you everything that you need to know.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:13 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
American University is more of a Finance/Accounting school-John's Hopkins-why would you even ask???? Science is what the school is known for. Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2012, 03:29 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlindwarf View Post
Alright so I’m in the need of a little advice. I’m trying to figure out what school I want to go to and I’ve narrowed it down to six options. Since many of these schools are extremely competitive I also need some advice on how to get into them!

The options:
John Hopkins University
Georgetown University
American University
George Mason University

I know there are some major differences between all of those, so here’s some background information on me:

I’m currently attending Northern Virginia Community College to get my associate’s degree. I’m a biology major, hoping to specialize in zoology, mainly conservation research and ethological research but I’m pretty much in love with all things wildlife so I can broaden my interests easily. I’m in my second semester right now, with a 3.76 GPA (with some honors courses), and hope to get that GPA up even more. I do NOT have a high school transcript as I dropped out at an early age and got my GED. I’m a Phi Theta Kappa member and plan on getting involved in the community through them. I don’t have SAT or ACT scores but plan on taking them in the future.

I live in Washington, DC (inner city, not suburbs) and because of my job (fulltime), my long term boyfriend, and my love of the city I do not want to move any time in the future though I am willing to commute to John Hopkins. This is why I haven’t included any schools outside of the DC area.

What do you all think the best fit would be for me considering the profession I want to go into? How can I raise my chances of acceptance into the more competitive schools (Georgetown, John Hopkins, etc.)? From a zoological standpoint what it the best choice?

Before anyone asks money is not really something that I feel will affect my decision. I honestly don’t have or make enough money to pay for ANY of these schools myself so no matter what I choose it will involve aid, grants, scholarships, and loans.

They are ALL good schools. You can't go wrong with ANY of these. I have a cousin who graduated from Georgetown, another from GW and another from Johns Hopkins.

Why don't you apply first and see where you are accepted and what the benefits package is like?

That's what I would advise.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlindwarf View Post

The options:
John Hopkins University
Georgetown University
American University
George Mason University

If you get your A.S. degree, your high school career will not matter. For your list and what you want to do, I would say to forget about UMD. Hopkins is a great school for biology, but not really sure about conservational ecology or zoology. If you are still looking in Maryland, I would suggest UMBC and Stevenson over UMD. Despite the higher price tag, Stevenson will give you so much money it might as well be free. UMBC is way more generous with scholarships than UMD, but they are still rather competitive (Stevenson's are automatic)...but I think UMBC has one or two scholarships that are automatic. UMD....forget it. They'll milk you for every cent they can.

UMBC has way more research opportunities than UMD, and at Stevenson research and/or an internship are mandatory prior to graduation. So you have a better choice of doing what you want at these schools. The Maryland MEES program (grad school), although supposedly a "university system wide" primarily seems to go through UMBC. A lot of good connections there for biology/ecology/conservation.

Hopkins has great scholarships...but it's Hopkins and attracts top students from all over the country/World. Aside from some engineering students, a lot of the undergrads seem to be "pre-med". While the location of the undergraduate campus does not have the reputation for campus crime/crime against students/faculty as UMD or Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, the areas that are "considered" safe around the Homewood campus (undergrad)/Charles Village are relatively small. The neighborhood is definitely rough and gritty around the edges...which sometimes spill inwards. It's definitely not in the worst part of Baltimore, but it is far from the best. The area is still pretty cool, though if you can look past the grittiness.

Not really sure about American other than I thought American was the school young people who wanted to break into DC politics or International Relations attended?

Not sure about Mason or Washington.

Georgetown is a good school, but not sure if their biology program will fit your desires.

William and Mary might be something to consider. They have an ecology and conservation program that might fit your bill. The VIMS program (graduate school) is taught through W&M. Not sure how much influence VIMS has at the undergrad level, but if it has any, this school might be worth it.

It is hard to tell where you will be accepted as there are more factors involved for transfer students than freshman applicants. But if I had to guess, I would say your best chances are:

Stevenson, UMBC, UMD, X, X, X, Georgetown, Hopkins.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
If you have the opportunity to go to Hopkins, go there.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Most of those schools are EXTREMELY expensive.

And I don't think Hopkins and Georgetown particularly like taking on CC feeder students, them being snobby rich private schools.

If you end up in a career in conservation biology, conservation wildlife, or environmental & ecological sciences, 15 years down the road, you'll probably wish you had gone to the local state tuition college to finish up your Bio degree so you can save up some to do your Masters...

Old 02-08-2012, 12:48 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
I wouldn't worry about saving up for masters. Go to the best school you can get into. You only get to do it once. In your case, it's John Hopkins.

As long as you do good at John Hopkins, you'll have no problem getting funding for masters if you decide to go in the future.

Also, it's best to go to a well-funded school that excels in your field rather than an underfunded state school. Go where the talent and the connections are.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:07 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I wouldn't worry about saving up for masters. Go to the best school you can get into. You only get to do it once. In your case, it's John Hopkins.

As long as you do good at John Hopkins, you'll have no problem getting funding for masters if you decide to go in the future.

Also, it's best to go to a well-funded school that excels in your field rather than an underfunded state school. Go where the talent and the connections are.
Johns Hopkins undergrad is not Princeton.

LOL.

Seriously, for what she wants to do, Hopkins would be a waste of $. She's going to end up at the same place at age 40 no matter where she did her undergrad.

If she wanted to go to medical school or her parents were paying straight out of HS, then I'd suggest going to Hopkins or Georgetown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities