Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 03:30 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,890,601 times

Advertisements

I am a junior college student attempting to transfer to a university. I was researching the university admission requirements and have found I am either 1 or 2 classes short, which I can easily complete before the application deadline.

The university awards quarter credits while the junior college awards semester credits. I know that conversion of quarter units to semester credits is accomplished by dividing the number of quarter units by 1.5. 5 quarter credits are equal to 3.3 semester credits.

Will one 3 credit course(semester) translate into 5 quarter credits. Would I have to take two 3 credit courses which would give me 6.6 quarter credits? I can't be the only one confused by this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,797,272 times
Think about it. If 5 quarter credits are worth 3.3 semester credits, how the heck could 3 semester credits be worth 5 quarter credits? Your math is crazy.

If to convert quarter credits to semester credits you divide the number of quarter credits by 1.5, to turn semester credits into quarter credits you would multiply the number of semester credits by 1.5. Therefore, a 3 semester credit course would be worth 4.5 quarter credits. Two 3 semester credit courses would be worth 6 semester credits, which would be the equivalent of 9 quarter credits. In short, for every 3 quarter credits, you're earning 2 semester credits and vice versa.

Last edited by Frostnip; 02-16-2012 at 05:02 AM..

Old 02-16-2012, 10:25 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,137,552 times
A lot of it will also be determined by what the coursework is that is transfering as it compares to the corresponding coursework

I took some college classes in HS that I transferred in to my university which used a quarter system - some of them transferred credit to credit - basically you took class X which looks like our class Y - both were 3 credit classes so that is what I ended up with ...... my community college class X replaced my university class Y on my plan

I took two semesters (6 credits) worth of english/writing/humanities with the community college - when discussing the transfer of those credits we found that the coursework coincided with 3 distinct classes - so in that case I was able to use those 2 classes to replace 3 other 3 credit classes ........ so 6 became 9 on the transfer

Best bet is to work it out with the advisors and negotiate a little bit with them ... course descriptions are going to be very helpful

Old 02-16-2012, 12:12 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,358,091 times
I'm not sure why you are trying to work this out - it's going to be the decision of your new college as to what classes they will accept. Just e-mail the registrar.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:49 PM

3,933 posts, read 5,036,525 times
From the UC Standpoint (one of the few institutions that offers both semesters and quarters under the same umbrella via the different campuses)-

1 Semester Class is Generally 3 Credits
1 Quarter Class is Generally 5 Units.

Full timers will graduate in 4 years if they take a full courseload-
5 Classes per Semester, 10 Classes Per Year (30 Credits)
3 Classes per Quarter, 9 Classes Per Year (45 Units). (One less!)

While there are mathematical equations to calculate this. You are transferring courses to gain equivalence more likely than credit- so a 5 credit quarter class will directly waive a 3 credit semester class.

The Quarter System gets away with less classes.
If the workload is roughly the same, the student would graduate with 4 classes less than their semester peers.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:05 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,917,029 times
There are classes in the quarter system that are 3 credits and even 2 credits. In a quarter system, students can have any number of credits per quarter from 12 to 16 (5+5+3+3) or more, if they want course overloads. It's not as simple as you outlined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities