Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times

Advertisements

A little background:

I have my Masters in one field (which I completed at 26), and taught my subject matter for five straight years as what I call a "full-time" adjunct at two community colleges.

I say "full-time" adjunct, because it worked out for me fairly well. I had PLENTY of class throughout the year to keep my busy and have enough money coming in. Sure I didn't get benefits, I paid my own healthy insurance, but when you are in your 20s you are healthy enough where you just need the basics.

Anyways, great experience, the department chairs had a lot of respect for me, my schedules were great: class at one college were all days two days a week, classes at the other school all day the other two days. Plus, they were the same courses every semester, so basically little prep work was involved semester to semester. I was lucky, and did well as an adjunct.

I will say however, given the fact that I did OK as an adjunct, combined with the competition for full time positions (given the fact that they only open up so often) I didn't really apply for that many over my five years.

Plus, during that whole time, I looked into other options: Should I go on for a PhD? (I actually started the application process for three schools, didn't complete the process for two, got turned down for the other). Bottom line, I knew deep down a life of research wasn't my path, but I wanted to advance some way. Also thought a GIS (geographic info. system) degree might be good idea. Took a couple classes in that.

With the hopes of attaining solid middle class statuts quickly, I decided to take a break from education/academics for a semester and try my hand at sales! After about of month of doing that, I hated it and sucked at it, and realized, hey I am qualified for full time position at a community college, and it is realistic goal. A PhD is an overwheling undertaking, and it doesn't give that much of an edge The only reason why I thought about it, was the students would be better prepared at a 4-year university. That was it, and people told me not to go for a PhD just so you can teach more mature students. I've learned from many, that its not as different as you think at the 4-year university, 4-year universities have their own stresses, and frankly I have accepted and come to terms with the students at a community college. Its not that bad at all.

Which is why, despite people asking me: "have you thought about teaching high school?" I've nevr thought about it for long. The involvement of parents, etc. At least at the community college, if you have students that are not participating, putting forth effort, you can say you know "I really encourage you to rethink whether college at this point in your life is best for you. Perhaps you should think of working full time or going to a trade school, theres no shame in looking into that. You are an adult now, and theres no reason to feel that pressure you HAVE to go to college." That at a community college is an acceptable approach. I work hard for students that work hard themselves. That can never fly at high school. I'm a person who 100% believes that it is the parents responsibility to raise children in a way that they become teachable. This is why high school education is not a good fit.

So, bottom line I am more focused than ever that community college is for me.

Despite the challenges there are at any job, community college is absolutely my path. I have five years equivalent full time experience as an adjunct, with plenty to write good recommendations. Plus my field is narrow enough, that while competitive, its not like we get 100 applicants for a full time position, (more like 40-50 applicants).

Heres my question: Instead of a PhD which can consume 5-7 years of ones life, what do you think of a second masters in a closely related field to the one I already have?? The reason being, is that I already apply for teaching positions for subjects that are very similar, but not exactly what I have a Masters in. Subject where there is a lot of overlap, but not quite.

And the thing is, is this second masters subject matter, that I already have a lot of close familiarity with, does have more openings for teaching positions that my exact education and experience right now.

Many community colleges may like the prestige of having PhDs as full time faculty, but more often than not, they shoot themselves in the foot by emphasizing research over teaching, feeling like a CC is a back-up, etc. A PhD could be tie-breaker, everything else being exactly equal, but the mission is very different at a CC as opposed to a unversity, and PhDs candidates often don't know that. So, I'm thinking that a second Masters might open myself up to just as many, if not more positions as a highly qualified candidate as PhD would.

Comments and answers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 01:39 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
If the institution wants a PhD prof, all of the master's degrees in the world aren't going to help. Some CCs want terminal degrees, some don't.

Can you tell us what degree you have and what you are thinking about?

Old 02-24-2012, 01:48 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Schools, even community colleges, like to brag that they have X percentage of faculty with terminal degrees.

I would talk the your former administrations. Say that you really love the colleges and are willing to do whatever is necessary to secure a tenured position. If you're already in the door, there's no point in guessing what they want.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:52 PM

484 posts, read 970,029 times
you better know someone at the school of interest and have lady luck on your side

Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 PM

I know if an institution wants a PhD prof, all the master's degrees in the world aren't going to help.

I don't know how familiar you are with CCs, but there is NO clear, universal answer as to which is preferred. They are very different than 4-year universities. A few community colleges might spefically have that as a qualification, more simply say its preferred, but I would say half of full time job postings simply say just a Masters, but you may still think that hmm . . . maybe a PhD might have a leg up, but not necessarily. There are other forums online that debate this, and many community colleges say they DON'T care about it, and say that PhDs often are not prepared to teach at a community college.

It is NOT clear cut. But I'm saying if I HAVE a 2nd Masters I can be qualified to land a full time position for over twice as many job openings.

I have a Masters in Geography. I mostly focused on physical geography, which very much overlaps with earth scence and geology, and is SOMETIMES considered a suitable equivalent, but not always.

Anyways, I'm thinking about a second master in geology. I have enough similar background to apply for a full time position teaching that, because of its similarity to physical geography, but I would not be as competitive for that. With two masters I could be a highly qualified for TWO categories of positions.

Thats the key thing, even if a PhD is not listed as a requirement, it still MAY or MAY NOT be preferred.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Schools, even community colleges, like to brag that they have X percentage of faculty with terminal degrees.

I would talk the your former administrations. Say that you really love the colleges and are willing to do whatever is necessary to secure a tenured position. If you're already in the door, there's no point in guessing what they want.
The point is, is that is is different at every one. At one of the school I used to teach at, none of the full time faculty in my subject matter have PhDs. I was a top candidate for a full time position there, (I was even told that I had the best teaching demonstration of anyone off the record later) but a higher up adminstration person, is the "tie-breaker" for candidates. So, I didn't quite get it.

I was liked at that school, but I really wanted to move to a Western state, because of the subject matter I teach, it is simply a region where you can more effectively teach my subject matter.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
you better know someone at the school of interest and have lady luck on your side
True. Thats why I have been making some contacts even to schools that are not hiring adjuncts or full time presently.

Also, keep in mind that I DO know people who got hired at communit colleges from the outside, and sometimes existing adjuncts take for granted being on the inside, and blow their chances. But yes, knowing someone does give you a leg up, but maybe they might know them, and still think they won't be a good candidate.

Last edited by Tex?Il?; 02-24-2012 at 02:13 PM..

Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 PM

Frankly none of you are really telling me things I don't know already.

I am NOT looking for answers I want to hear.

I told you my background, and I asked a question, what do you think of a second Masters? In terms of not being necessarily a better candidate competing for one position, but a better candidate for more positions.

I already know about the basic facts of competiveness for full time positions at community colleges. I've been in one for five straight years.

Once again, if you can weigh in, do you think a Second Masters (geology) (in addition to my geography Masters) is recommended?

And don't tell me, 2 Masters degrees are not going to help you get a position, but it will mean that you could qualify for MORE positions. I can be qualified for this job OR this job, but not necessarily more qualified for this ONE job.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:19 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
I think that would help or a certificate in GIS if you don't have it. Colleges like Professors that can teach multiple topics and the more specialized the better. Anyone can teach a general course but getting a Masters in a particular area of Geology would allow you to present yourself as the Geology expert within the Geography department. Thats a very powerful tool.

I'm planning on doing a Master's myself (Terminal for my field) and then doing a Master's or PhD in a related field. For me its 3 reasons that I think would help you as well.

1. Do they interest you?
2. Does Research or Teaching in one benefit the other?
3. Will I be able to use it to present myself as an expert in a particular field should I leave Academia?

The answer to these three for me are all yes. I think they'd be a yes for you as well.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I think that would help or a certificate in GIS if you don't have it. Colleges like Professors that can teach multiple topics and the more specialized the better. Anyone can teach a general course but getting a Masters in a particular area of Geology would allow you to present yourself as the Geology expert within the Geography department. Thats a very powerful tool.

I'm planning on doing a Master's myself (Terminal for my field) and then doing a Master's or PhD in a related field. For me its 3 reasons that I think would help you as well.

1. Do they interest you?
2. Does Research or Teaching in one benefit the other?
3. Will I be able to use it to present myself as an expert in a particular field should I leave Academia?

The answer to these three for me are all yes. I think they'd be a yes for you as well.
Thank you actually paying attention and answering my question.

And yes, I actually started it back in the Chicago area. Now that I am in California, (a kid in a candy store for my subject matter) If I decide to go for a 2nd Masters I could probably get my GIS courses transferred and knock out the other 2 or 3 courses and get both a second masters and a certificate.

Again, thank you for actually answering my question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities