Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:47 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,698 times

Advertisements

Oregon:
Reed
Lewis & Clark
George Fox
Linfield
Pacific University
Willamette University
Marylhurst University
University of Portland

Washington:
Seattle University
University of the Puget Sound
Seattle Pacific University
Pacific Lutheran
Gonzaga
Whitman College
Whitworth University
Pacific Lutheran

These are generally all well regarded, mostly liberal arts. Specific ranking will depend on your area of study.

Last edited by figmalt; 02-28-2012 at 12:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 04:29 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Thanks for the list

Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Private Colleges in Oregon: Oregon Colleges and Universities : STATEofOREGON.com

Private Colleges in Washington: NWCCU Institutions of Washington

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:22 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

Notre Dame is well ahead of USC though and should not quite be put in the same class, ND belongs with schools like Rice or Brown.
You have to be delusional. No one considers ND in the same class as Rice or Brown. Or even Duke, Cornell or Penn. Or even NYU.

ND is actually very similar to schools like USC, Vandy, Emory, and Wash U. I grew up in Chicago, where rich kids who were Catholic, smart, but not smart enough to get into U. of Chicago, Northwestern or the Ivies, went to ND.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very good school, but to compare it to any Ivy league school is an utter joke.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:35 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
You have to be delusional. No one considers ND in the same class as Rice or Brown. Or even Duke, Cornell or Penn. Or even NYU.

ND is actually very similar to schools like USC, Vandy, Emory, and Wash U. I grew up in Chicago, where rich kids who were Catholic, smart, but not smart enough to get into U. of Chicago, Northwestern or the Ivies, went to ND.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very good school, but to compare it to any Ivy league school is an utter joke.

In the college admissions world, Notre Dame overlaps with practically all of the schools you mentioned.

On the upper end, you have Duke, Penn, and Chicago. And I would agree that Notre Dame is not on that level.

After that, it's like a big gray area. With the exception of NYU. It is not as good of a school as Notre Dame. NYU is certainly a great place to go to college, but it is rather mediocre when it comes to an undergraduate education. For the amount of money, it would not compare to the education one would receive at Notre Dame.

A kid smart enough to get into Chicago would probably not consider quite a few of the schools you mentioned. It's more of a intellectual university. Most of those are not intellectual. Great schools, but not the same as Chicago. It takes a certain kind of person/student to go there.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:11 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,973,561 times
In addition to the schools Katiana mentioned in Colorado, there is also Regis University in Denver. In Santa Fe, NM there is a private school called St Johns. In Helena Montana there is a liberal arts school called Carroll college.

Utah has BYU, which contrary to what was posted requires those admitted to be active in their place of worship (and get a recommendation letter from their minister/clergyperson), but does not require you to be LDS (even though 90%+ ARE LDS).

As you can see, it isn't hard to name all the private universities in the mountain west because there aren't very many of them. I'm can't think of any in Nevada, Wyoming, or Arizona, though there surely must be a few.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:07 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Ya I know Caltech, USC and Stanford. Those are all in my opinion much higher level then Tulane, Tufts, Brandeis or Notre Dame.... they're more like MIT, Princeton, Harvard and Yale.

Thanks for those others ones I had not heard of Claremont Consortium, Reed or Whitman. Unfortunately I'm looking for graduate and of the few graduate programs in these schools none have the degree I'm looking for. Still nice to know there's more out there.

I'm not quite sure why Berkley was mentioned as its a public school??
You do know you can find all this info. On google.
Researching is a good skill for college

Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
It's strange but there really are not many! And those that I do know of, are more often than not religiously affiliated.

Here are a few that might not have been mentioned - University of Puget Sound, WA
Cornish College of the Arts
Pacific Lutheran University (ELCA)
Seattle University (Roman Catholic)

Willamette University OR
Reed College OR

California College of the Arts
Whittier College( Society of Friends)
University of the Redlands
Pacific Oaks College
California Lutheran (ELCA)
U of San Diego (Roman Catholic)

Colorado College
University of Denver

Austin College
Texas Lutheran College (ELCA)
University of Dallas (RC - Conservative)

Hendrix College AR ( United Methodist)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities