Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 PM

520 posts, read 1,853,373 times

Advertisements

You could do a math minor. That was pretty popular with EE's when I was in school. Personally, I had enough math in my EE courses. The minor or double major is probably a better idea than switching to math. Not sure how marketable those advanced math skills are unless you are in cryptography (NSA likes math) or want to be a professor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 04:37 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,000 times
My daughter is thinking of being a math major in college and I was interested to read that with all the clamoring for better science and math courses for girls, they might still wind up teaching. Teaching is an honorable profession but I'd have thought there'd be more than one or two career opportunities.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:10 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
My daughter is thinking of being a math major in college and I was interested to read that with all the clamoring for better science and math courses for girls, they might still wind up teaching. Teaching is an honorable profession but I'd have thought there'd be more than one or two career opportunities.
Math is highly theoretical in nature. Studying math does not lead to skills that are useful in a lot of fields outside of academics - i.e. teaching. However, a degree in math can be used to gain entry to computer science positions as well as cryptography work for the government or high level security companies. Also consider that many times just having a degree opens doors for careers regardless of what the degree is.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:39 PM

606 posts, read 698,620 times
Math is crucial to science and engineering.I've noticed that most prestigous engineering professors are pretty good at math.

I'm not looking for math minor,I just want to learn more math which will help me succeed in other fields.

thank you all!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:41 PM

606 posts, read 698,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
Math major student can easily switch to engineering or science,even financial disciplines.For example,petroleum industry needs math guys to solve some oil problem by math model.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:35 AM

68 posts, read 226,928 times
A math major leads to a teaching career . . . FALSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is really a common misconception. There are many high paying jobs that one can do with a math major. I am a math professor but I worked for a couple of years as an engineering analyst.

For those that want to get stop at the BS degree, the most lucrative careers with a degree in math is as an actuary. Actuaries who have passed all the exams can make upwards of 200k a year.

Also many of the financial analysts on wall street have backgrounds in mathematics.

Software companies also like to hire former math majors as do game programmers.

The reason that this misconception that teaching is the only thing to do with math is because frankly, most of us who teach math would rather teach math than do any of those other jobs.

For entry into graduate programs couple that economics/engineering/science/pre-law/psychology/social science/philosophy/finance degree with a degree in mathematics and watch your options WITHIN THE OTHER FIELD multiply. Almost every field nowadays.

There are people working in Mathematical Physics, Mathematical Biology, Financial mathematics . . . you name it.

As for what math to learn in Electrical Engineering? It really depends on your goals. If you plan to stop after the BS then whatever they have set for you will do. If you plan to do a PhD then you will want to probably get a second major or at least a minor in math.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:24 PM

13 posts, read 115,963 times
Good info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities