Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:45 PM

606 posts, read 698,942 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a sophomore who is major in Electrical Engineering.I really get the feeling that math is extremely important and useful and I do admit I began to like math after learned calculus.

Some people may say,EE students learn a lot of math already.But I don't think so,and the math we learn is obviously not enough.We are only required to learn Calculus and differential equations.I'm sure I will take more math courses in the following semesters but I won't have enough time to learn a lot of math if I continue to be major in EE(EE is hard,we have to learn a lot of sophisticated stuff other than math).

It seems that the only solution is to change major.Sadly,I'm dumb at math,I'm not really good at it.I doubt whether I can handle math major or not.Besides,I'm not pretty sure the job prospect for math major students.

Any advice will be appreciated!
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 08:25 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
You are only a sophomore, right? over two more years to go. Look at the type of Math courses that will be available to you later. You may find something that appeals to you.

To be a math major requires that you be GOOD in math. You can still take all the math that you can squeeze in. You can even have two majors if you work extra hard.

The jobs open for someone that just majored in math are usually, but not always, in teaching. It's a good back-up career. There is also positions for someone that has taken Statistics, but that's sort of a limited field too.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:09 AM

3,289 posts, read 9,186,341 times
ducksburg, have you gone to the career counseling center at your school and taken the tests to see where your interests are? You may be in the right or wrong field for all you know.

Quote:
Sadly,I'm dumb at math,I'm not really good at it.
My husband is a mechanical engineer and is extremely strong in math. He is VERY good at it.

I would go in to see your counselor and schedule those tests before you get too much further down your path. Liz

Old 09-11-2007, 11:56 PM

116 posts, read 372,365 times
my uncle has an EE degree he is very good at math but even then he said electromagnetic theory was very hard.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:58 PM

86 posts, read 373,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
I'm currently a sophomore who is major in Electrical Engineering.I really get the feeling that math is extremely important and useful and I do admit I began to like math after learned calculus.

Some people may say,EE students learn a lot of math already.But I don't think so,and the math we learn is obviously not enough.We are only required to learn Calculus and differential equations.I'm sure I will take more math courses in the following semesters but I won't have enough time to learn a lot of math if I continue to be major in EE(EE is hard,we have to learn a lot of sophisticated stuff other than math).

It seems that the only solution is to change major.Sadly,I'm dumb at math,I'm not really good at it.I doubt whether I can handle math major or not.Besides,I'm not pretty sure the job prospect for math major students.

Thanks.

I'm not completely certain what you are asking...

Are you worried that you don't have enough of a math background for your EE major? Do you like math so much that you want more of it? I'm trying to figure out why you are considering a math major.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:25 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HI View Post
I'm not completely certain what you are asking...

Are you worried that you don't have enough of a math background for your EE major? Do you like math so much that you want more of it? I'm trying to figure out why you are considering a math major.
I'm with you buddy, I can't really find the question being asked here.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:19 PM

5 posts, read 79,229 times
.Originally Posted by ducksburg. I do admit I began to like math after learned calculus.
the math we learn is obviously not enough.We are only required to learn Calculus and differential equations.I'm sure I will take more math courses in the following semesters but I won't have enough time to learn a lot of math if I continue to be major in EE. Sadly,I'm dumb at math,I'm not really good at it.I doubt whether I can handle math major or not.

Thanks.

confusing buddy, try again no offense
if u aren't good at math, don't major at it.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:37 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
If you're an EE major, then surely you have the Math requirements, don't you? Why not continue in your major? perhaps I'm not understanding your question.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:09 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post

Thanks.

what do you want to do with yourself? The opportunities are more plentiful for an engineer. Math tends to lend itself to education, unless you go far enough with it and open up doors to work in think tanks, cryptography, etc. . . I have a BS in computer engineering and am thinking seriously about getting a second BS in math, after I finish my Masters, because I want to teach math in high school. It really all depends on what you want to do. Many EEs get to play with hardware, work in inventions, and the work tends to be more hands on. Math positions will tend to be more theoretical in nature and may not entail as much work with physical gadgets and gizmos. The friends I had who were in the EE program were there because they liked to play with things and wanted to acutally be able to hold something physical to work on or develop, not just play with theories.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:00 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,276 times
I'm guessing you're looking at double-majoring in EE and Math, because there is a lot of overlap between the two programs?

I have a BS in Software Engineering (started in Computer Science, and considered the double major in Math because the programs had a bunch of overlap as well), and a minor in Math. I had considered the double major because I thought it would look good on a resume, not because I actually enjoyed it (which I don't). I ended up switching to Software Engineering because it was a much more practical perspective, where I could actually put my knowledge to use, instead of writing papers for obscure scientific journals.

I agree with what the above poster said about the practical versus theoretical nature of where you see your life/career heading. Math (as well as Computer Science) tends to be very theoretical. While the first couple of years of math courses are fairly simple (meaning Calculus 1-3, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Calculus based Statistics, Logic), it gets significantly more difficult as the years progress (Automata Theory, Advanced Calculus, Abstract Algebra, Combinatorics, Number Theory, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities