Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 AM

143 posts, read 377,561 times

Advertisements

I think this link pretty much answers this question:

Engineers, Accountants Say School Matters - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,550,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEnterprises View Post
I think this link pretty much answers this question:

Engineers, Accountants Say School Matters - WSJ.com

Pretty vague and biased toward large companies, which do most of the layoffs. Hiring managers decide what really matters.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 AM

143 posts, read 377,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Pretty vague and biased toward large companies, which do most of the layoffs. Hiring managers decide what really matters.
It's a poll asking college graduates how much they thought where they went to school mattered, and the engineers seemed to think it mattered a lot. That's exactly what the thread was about, except this has a larger sample size.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 PM

344 posts, read 991,041 times
I believe that a degree from a well-respected college will benefit anyone getting any degree. Well-respected employers want employees from well-respected schools, who graduated with high GPAs, who have a good personality, who can work well with others, and who have the skills/education an employer seeks. If you want to work with the best, you have to show you can meet their standards.

Having said that, if working for the best is not as important to you as the convenience of going to a local university, then you must accept that there may be adverse consequences to your decision. Or, going to a local university may not be a hinderance when job hunting. No one can say with certainty.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:08 AM

65 posts, read 171,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsons211 View Post
My husband wants to go back to school for Engineering, he was going to attend University of Houston because it is suppose to be a good school for engineering from what I read....of course its not Univ of Texas or Texas A&M so does it matter much where an engineering student gets his degree?
I think University of Houston would be fine. You're right in oil land so I'm sure there's plenty of recruiting from there.

In general, I think it opens more doors to your fortune 100 companies to go to a good school. If he doesn't have huge aspirations to go to a big company that isn't in the region, I don't think it matters much at all.

Ask to see the school's career services recruiting calendar. You should be able to get an idea of the types of companies recruiting there. It doesn't preclude you from being able to land a job elsewhere, but you are much more likely to land a job if you can get a direct interview at a campus recruiting event versus being one in a thousand applying online.

Completely random example: I know as of about 6 years ago (when I last checked) Medtronic recruited at the following schools: MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, Cal Tech, Michigan, CMU, and UIUC. I'd bet if you look at their employee pool, those schools have way more representation than others.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:17 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,207,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Yes, it matters very much where you go to engineering school, for certain jobs. But it seems to hurt Americans' feelings to admit that there can actually be differences in peoples' ability and motivation, and that these things are correlated strongly with their educations. In real life, someone from Cal State Nowhere will not even get an interview with a first-rate RandD lab. On the other hand, for a dumbed-down engineering job with a second-rate (or worse) employer, it probably doesn't matter much. After the first job, if you went to Cal State Nowhere, you better have some good patents or papers to show at you next interview if you want to move up the employer food chain.
If I had a solid patent I would be developing it in my garage and marketing it myself not giving my ideas away, phd's and papers are the biggest racket around, btw I went to a name brand school.

Once you can prove the invention or idea is solid you can sell it for way way more than your salerno would have been then I can enjoy sipping drinks in Hawaii instead of getting up in the morning to go to a job whom I just gave my intellectual property away too lol

These "dumb down" engineering jobs can pay big bucks so that you can finance your own work with out kissing some phd's rear end, like some useless peasant. I can get any text or thesis I want from inter library loan as well, a masters an a pe with solid work experience is all you need

Old 06-17-2012, 02:38 AM

436 posts, read 753,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't think so. A friend who went to ASU was comparing notes with someone who went to Berkeley, and they used the same textbooks. And the friend from ASU, who is a PE, is doing quite well.
Ummmmm... Just because schools may use the same textbook does not mean they turned out the same type of graduates. The school you go to is very important. However, that does not mean you cannot succeed after going to a non-top-25 engineering school. After school, there are other factors to success, such as connections, luck, brains and work habits. Quite frankly, the AVERAGE engineering graduate at UofMichigan is not in the same league as the average MIT engineering graduate. However, as an individual who went to UofMichigan, that does not mean I cannot have more success than someone who went to MIT, or Harvard, or whatever.
So to put it mildly,

wrong...
ASU != Berkeley

Old 06-17-2012, 02:47 AM

436 posts, read 753,593 times
UofM-Ann Arbor > UofC-Berkeley

Just Joking. .

Old 06-17-2012, 04:13 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,363,742 times
I also think GPA matters...to use extremes, I am guessing a "D" average at Harvard and a "A" average at a non top tier school would be weighted with the "A" average worth more. When people look at the degree someone has, it is always going to be partly a representation of the fact the person showed up and went to class, and did what was necessary to achieve success. The "A" average speaks more highly of that work ethic.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:01 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,204,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
When people look at the degree someone has, it is always going to be partly a representation of the fact the person showed up and went to class, and did what was necessary to achieve success. The "A" average speaks more highly of that work ethic.
In engineering, that is not necessarily the case. Some of the A students I went to college with I wouldn't want anywhere near my projects. The lack the interpersonal skills required to work in project settings and are a huge hassle to deal with from a management perspective. Most A students are like "Leonard" and "Wallowitz" than "Sheldon" and "Raj" from Big Bang Theory.

Engineering schools matter as most employers stockpile their engineering departments from a short list of schools. If you want to work for that specific employer, such as Boeing, you probably need to go to one of their top five schools. Otherwise, you need to be comfortable being an outlier and not depending on fellow alumni and school ties to get you hired directly or promoted. I would say that having an engineering internship or co-op is much more valuable than going to somewhere that is not a national top 10 engineering school. This matters for the first job or two but after 5 years, where you went to school has little impact on your job prospects in most cases. If an employer is that stuck on where you went to school, ie. all VPs went to University X, it is either a small company, which may be ok, or a large company that has an atrocious, inbred, group-think and should be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities