Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 01:35 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFA-Psych! View Post

Wrong, the multiple rivers aren't intentional because you obviously have no idea what a river means. I work in publishing, you work in engineering.

If you had said 'rivers of white', you would have put things in context. I know exactly what that means. 'Rivers' also has a technical document definition, defined as a smooth flow, from 'tributaries' of information from multiple sources to develop a cohesive document. I worked in engineering, and then in management. (I do consult every now and then to keep the mind fresh, and have access to really expensive electronics).

Don't underestimate my profession if you have no idea about it.

I think I know a little about it... The technical publications department was one that reported to me for years.

A river is a vertical white space - something that you honestly wouldn't have been able to control here on City-Data but none the less proves thanks to your reply that you don't know a thing about what you're talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_(typography)

As for your inconsistency:
I would think a readable story (and I prefer the term 'document') means; conveying the point/goal in a logical, consistent manner, accuracy, correct spelling, correct grammar, stating the goal, supporting statements, summary, good topic flow, etc. This is not really for writing haiku or sonnets...

The entire bolded segment above is not correct. You need to revise it for anyone in the business world to understand it. If you had any training in communications you would already know this.

I guess you missed the statement I made "Please take into account this is informal writing."
We can ask the moderators of this thread to only allow formal business-worthy posts to be made, meeting your approval, and add this rule to the 'sticky'. We can also ask for a 'rivers of white' detector to flag any posts exhibiting such traits.
Personally, I don't care if I make rivers here, or typos, or make grammar errors.... this is a FORUM. I write a post in about 30 seconds. If I were submitting to a journal for publication, that is a different story. I have better things to do now, like play with hobbies all day.

A potential fix could be:

...the point/goal in a logical and consistent manner with accuracy, correct spelling, correct grammar and good topic flow while stating the goal, supporting arguments and summary.

I changed arguments because you don't want to repeat "stating the goal, supporting statements," and probably don't want the alliteration either.

We have a very high-end grammar/spelling application along with the tech writers. It cost a fortune, but I didn't have to pay benefits or salary to it, and it made 90% of the suggestions you made.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine in green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 05:59 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting. My employers also sent me to grad school. One was full time, on salary (you don't see that anymore), and the other two part-time at nights (or even during working hours). The part-time evening thing is rough... makes a really long day, and it takes a few years, but it is worth it. $10K in debt is great... most people end up with more debt...
I traded having 80 hour work weeks (work and school included) for three years for having essentially no debt...no one likes blowing vacation days to study for tests, but it was easily worth it. Once you do it for a few weeks, the time commitment feels pretty normal.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:11 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I traded having 80 hour work weeks (work and school included) for three years for having essentially no debt...no one likes blowing vacation days to study for tests, but it was easily worth it. Once you do it for a few weeks, the time commitment feels pretty normal.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I hear you, though it is tough on a warm, sunny summer weekend day to be inside doing homework. But I agree, it was definitely worth it, and you do get used to it.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I hear you, though it is tough on a warm, sunny summer weekend day to be inside doing homework. But I agree, it was definitely worth it, and you do get used to it.
You really learn to appreciate free time. I realized once that it had been two weeks since I was outside when the sun was shining.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:51 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Lately I have been hearing this phrase on this board - "return for investment" when applied to a university education. It sickens me. It is indicative of a total misunderstanding of a beauty and power of a liberal arts education.

By this logic, perhaps we should just send our children to trade schools,or community colleges, ban the learning of literature, philosophy, theology and the arts!

Even the social sciences have come under attack here! When does it end? When we turn all of our kids into electrical engineers or majors in medical fields?

My cousin just returned from visiting several North Eastern liberal arts universities (highly competitive) and a few hard science oriented institutions. She was disturbed to hear this odious phrase bandied about at two schools.
It turned her off. It turned her daughter off. She will not be applying their.

They had never heard this foolish phrase before. Sadly, I had. It reflects an intrenched anti-intellectuality, and not only a disdain for learning, but a misunderstanding of it!

It is particularly disturbing when it is applied to "older" students with respect to "how long they will live in order to recoup their expenses"

Knowledge is priceless!

And with that, I have decided that I will formally seek to learn more and to accrue yet another degree. There will be no spread sheets involved and the ratio of expense vs. life span will not play a part in this.

Those of you forcing your children to study subjects because they are "hot" right now? I feel sorry for you. More so for your child.

There is nothing more expensive than the futile attempt to fit a square peg into a round hole.

My son will begin studies by following his bliss - a BFA in Art. I am excited to see where this passion leads him.How exciting to have a child with a passion other than money, especially in this day and age!
That's reality of it, 4 years and what, 50,000 or 100,000 dollars? Yeah. Good luck with that.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:30 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Lately I have been hearing this phrase on this board - "return for investment" when applied to a university education. It sickens me. It is indicative of a total misunderstanding of a beauty and power of a liberal arts education.

By this logic, perhaps we should just send our children to trade schools,or community colleges, ban the learning of literature, philosophy, theology and the arts!

Even the social sciences have come under attack here! When does it end? When we turn all of our kids into electrical engineers or majors in medical fields?

My cousin just returned from visiting several North Eastern liberal arts universities (highly competitive) and a few hard science oriented institutions. She was disturbed to hear this odious phrase bandied about at two schools.
It turned her off. It turned her daughter off. She will not be applying their.

They had never heard this foolish phrase before. Sadly, I had. It reflects an intrenched anti-intellectuality, and not only a disdain for learning, but a misunderstanding of it!

It is particularly disturbing when it is applied to "older" students with respect to "how long they will live in order to recoup their expenses"

Knowledge is priceless!

And with that, I have decided that I will formally seek to learn more and to accrue yet another degree. There will be no spread sheets involved and the ratio of expense vs. life span will not play a part in this.

Those of you forcing your children to study subjects because they are "hot" right now? I feel sorry for you. More so for your child.

There is nothing more expensive than the futile attempt to fit a square peg into a round hole.

My son will begin studies by following his bliss - a BFA in Art. I am excited to see where this passion leads him.How exciting to have a child with a passion other than money, especially in this day and age!
Are you familiar with the term debt slavery?

10% of all student loans are in default... 85 billion

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-08-2012 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: removed copyrighted cartoon

Old 03-08-2012, 01:05 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Are you familiar with the term debt slavery?

10% of all student loans are in default... 85 billion
Most of that problem are kids who probably never should have went to school.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:42 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
That's reality of it, 4 years and what, 50,000 or 100,000 dollars? Yeah. Good luck with that.

Thanks because I've had great luck with it.

That forcing artists and writers to major in business, medicine, engineering and what have you...how's THAT workin' for ya?

Talk about an exercise in futility.

People who don't understand the value of a liberal arts education, should perhaps learn a trade.

Kind of like explaining literature to a kumquat.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:51 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I can understand such an attitude if it's used to evaluate whether or not to pursue a PhD program. PhD's require sacrificing several years of your life and barely making enough money to get by when you could be out there earning at least a living wage, and investing what you earned.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:11 PM

138 posts, read 410,163 times
If a person can get by on what they make, even if it's very little, I see nothing wrong with any major. We all know that some fields have plentiful high paying jobs, and we know some fields have very few high paying jobs.

I believe in following your passion, but be aware that your passion may not offer much income. If you're okay with that, then roll on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities