Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 04:18 PM

310 posts, read 1,024,498 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I was hoping for some advice on a predicament I am facing. I apologize for the length of this question.

I am currently a college junior pursuing my business degree at the local university (it's not a prestigious university by any means fyi)...I will be earning my BBA in Operations Management. By the time I've finished I will have studied Logistics, supply chain management, inventory management, purchasing, etc. Several courses in statistics.

My grades are excellent, currently a 4.0 last semester, and I'll probably graduate with something around a 3.8.

I've worked retail while in school am graduating with no debt, so student loans are not a big concern.

My issue, however, is the availability of entry level jobs. There are quite a few jobs that require experience, but very few entry level. I have applied for internships, and have had only one interview.

I'm beginning to realize that my interpersonal skills are sub-par, and may not be suited for a corporate career.

So, I'm wondering if I should go to community college and pursue a skilled trade, like welding, electronics technology, aircraft powerplant cert, etc.

Is there anyone who has done both? I would love some advice.

My concerns are threefold:

1. Would I be wasting the things I learned obtaining my business degree? I don't want to sound prideful, but I have always excelled academically. I want to maximize my potential. I think skilled trades people are very very smart, but would I be "wasting" my potential pursuing skilled trades?

2. Would someone with a bachelors degree be looked upon as a "snob" in those fields?
and
3. To be totally frank, I am concerned about the social stigma of blue collar work. I don't think I would mind the work, but there are certain people in my social circle and family who would probably turn their nose up at me for "stooping" to manual labor/blue collar work.

I REALLY appreciate anyone who has take the time to read this. I would love some advice.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 04:21 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Skip college. Get an apprenticeship in plumbing, welding, electrician work, and other trades that can't be outsourced.
College was the path to success in 1980; now it's a way to rob the Baby Boom of their retirement savings.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:26 PM

310 posts, read 1,024,498 times
Thank you for the reply.

But, I've decided I'm not going to skip college because I'm almost done. I only have a year left, so I might as well finish.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:26 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
I think that getting a trade certificate after a business degree can work to your advantage, particularly if you are interested in starting your own business or working your way up in a major industry. There was a recent article about how entry level positions can help a talented person get a foot in the door. Then they stick around and make a name for themselves as they work their way up the corporate ladder. Our recent speaker at our school Black History Month program, the sister of one of our teachers, did the same thing with an international business machines company. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use your talents to combine a trade and a business degree. Sounds smart to me. And for those people in your social circle, jumping several levels in a construction or industrial firm because you have the skills for the actual production process would make it clear that you are not lowering yourself to work a blue-collar job. After a few years, they may even have reason to envy you. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you decide to do.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:30 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I think it's a good plan. I would also suggest that you work in a plant this summer if possible to get some hands on experience. Not as an intern but as a worker bee. That alone will show that you are willing to get your hands dirty.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:55 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post

1. Would I be wasting the things I learned obtaining my business degree? I don't want to sound prideful, but I have always excelled academically. I want to maximize my potential. I think skilled trades people are very very smart, but would I be "wasting" my potential pursuing skilled trades?

2. Would someone with a bachelors degree be looked upon as a "snob" in those fields?
and
3. To be totally frank, I am concerned about the social stigma of blue collar work. I don't think I would mind the work, but there are certain people in my social circle and family who would probably turn their nose up at me for "stooping" to manual labor/blue collar work.

I REALLY appreciate anyone who has take the time to read this. I would love some advice.

Thank you
This is a great question. You might find that what comes after a business degree is uptight - sometimes yes and sometimes no. It is not a waste...it's an applied degree, in a way. The problem is that a lot of bozos major in business because they don't want a liberal arts degree, and don't know what to study. When in college, this was an "inside joke" among friends. A business degree can both teach you to work through problems quantitatively, as well as communicate both in writing and orally.

Moving onto your other question, do not have any "hangups" about pursuing something else. I know of business grads that (a) became police officers, (b) opened up 2 hair salons and uses her business degree, (c) said eff it and went to an accelerated program to be a physical therapist after a couple of years of working in business, (d) returned to an accelerated BSN after a few years and has been a nurse (a woman) ever since, (e) became grammar school teachers (men and women), (f) got a "regular job" like driving a bus, and (g) did stuff they actually like in a big company or for a governmental entity.

About the "snob" thing, if you come across as "down to earth," then you shouldn't have a problem. Just don't keep saying, "well, when I was studying business..." LOL. The last thing is, that, as you begin to work in an area, you will become assimilated to the culture. Don't care about what people think. Do what's right for you...and good luck.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:26 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:

I'm beginning to realize that my interpersonal skills are sub-par, and may not be suited for a corporate career.
um

I have never known anyone in upper level management who had much going for them in the way of interpersonal skills. I certainly would not let that hold me back.

My advice to you would be to graduate and try to get some experience in your field as quickly as possible. But even MORE IMPORTANTLY, as quickly as possible, start making the "right" friends who can assist you in reaching your career goals. Nothing will get you as far as fast as knowing the right people. Do not hesitate for one minute to use every contact at your disposal.

Contrary to popular belief, the success of your career hinges more on who you know than what you know. Cultivate your networking skills.

As far as a trade. All of the concerns you have voiced are valid. Since you are quite young, I would exhaust all of my options before resorting to a "blue collar" job as a career choice.

Good luck to you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-03-2012, 06:43 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I was hoping for some advice on a predicament I am facing. I apologize for the length of this question.

I am currently a college junior pursuing my business degree at the local university (it's not a prestigious university by any means fyi)...I will be earning my BBA in Operations Management. By the time I've finished I will have studied Logistics, supply chain management, inventory management, purchasing, etc. Several courses in statistics.

My grades are excellent, currently a 4.0 last semester, and I'll probably graduate with something around a 3.8.

I've worked retail while in school am graduating with no debt, so student loans are not a big concern.

My issue, however, is the availability of entry level jobs. There are quite a few jobs that require experience, but very few entry level. I have applied for internships, and have had only one interview.

So, I'm wondering if I should go to community college and pursue a skilled trade, like welding, electronics technology, aircraft powerplant cert, etc.

and

Thank you

I understand what you are saying. If you feel that this is what you a called to do, I see nothing wrong with it! People change professions several times in life now. Learning a skilled trade AFTER you have a good basic education, will seem backwards to some people, yet I know several people who have done it. A few are happy, but the ones who are did something closest to their undergrad degrees.

This would have been a hard sell in my family, and among my social circle. One thing I don't know are YOUR feelings - do YOU feel a passion or interest for these fields? I'm not sure I'm hearing that.

The other question - will blue collar workers be snobbish towards you? I'll give you an answer that is as staight forward as I can - NOT ALL , but MANY. How do I know? I'll tell you.

After three years at a competitive university I left due to the terminal illness of my mom, I entered a 3 yr. diploma program for RNs. I worked in Nursing for 12 years. Talk about fitting a square peg into a round hole! I was so not cut out for this! Not surprisingly, I only felt at home in Psychiatry, the most verbal of the nursing services, and the one that was most closely connected to my undergrad degree.

Could I find a job as an RN? YES! The bigger question was did I WANT one! I began to dread work at decided to return to university to complete my last year of college. Best thing I ever did! Then I went on. Still doing that!

While working I heard comments such as "over educated idiot" "a lot of good college does ya!" Basically that I could have skipped the University and done what they were doing. Some supervisors loved it! My notes were clear and coherent, my grammar and my ability to interface with others in services such as medicine was superior. Others were not as nice, both in school and at work. One even said that I was taking a slot away from a more deserving student - i.e. one without college.

Trust me, snobbish runs deep in the blue collar community. Some of it is a defense mechanism and can be attributed to ignorance and jealousy.
What ever their reason, it's unpleasant to constantly be the butt of so many jokes and snarkey comments.

Another way to go? Graduate school or a second BA.or BS.

Best of luck what ever you decide to do.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

and

Thank you
1. Some people will see it as wasted education, I don't. Whatever you learned you can use in other fields as far as I am concerned.
2. Maybe some may look at you that way, so what? Are you to conernced about what people think of you? Nothing wrong with that to some degree but if you let it bother you to a certain point that it affects you so much, I recommend you need to work on that.
3. My advice, is that there is nothing wrong with trying something different if what you studied in college does not seem to interest you that much. However, if you do not go into the field you are studying because you think you are not good enough, grab the bull by the horns and go for it if you like that field. It takes time and sacrifice to go higher in any field. You have to be willing to put the time and effort to get higher and higher. I tend to believe that you may feel like many in your generation that think that as soon as you have a degree should get the good money right away. Well, that is not the case. You need to be willing to start from the bottom and make your way up. Take care.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
$.02 from btdt

finish college and get 2 yrs in the field, WHILE working nights / weekends starting an apprenticeship in skilled trades... (forget the school part, you can add required classes... find someone willing to legitimately apprentice you so you end up with an ASSURED journeyman license (I would do plumbing, as not all is bad, and it is VERY ez to be self employed and make significant wages + the world will face water shortage and plumbers will be in demand. One of my clients just paid $90/hr for a simple plumbing job... to a 20 something kid owning his own business) I prefer electrician, but it is very restrictive and DANGEROUS and EXPENSIVE to be an independent contractor. Starting the correct and lucrative business can bring you great wealth, or... you can use the skill as supplemental income. $90/hr vs. $9/hr flipping burgers

my story...
(farm kid>Jr Col, Skilled Apprenticeship, Mech Eng, Civil Eng, Business, MBA, lots of 'learning jobs')

Farm kid was biggest asset, knew how to weld and fix stuff from early age, also was very resourceful to get something fixed while out in the field... (I hated walking home and telling DAD !!! ouch)

2nd) Toolmaker / skilled blue collar. Always could make more in that field (overtime) than engineering (= FREE Overtime)

3rd) International business / engineering assignments. Living overseas was great experience for self and family. Diversity takes on a new perspective. USA problems seem very 'trite'

4th) being a lifelong learner... ALWAYS use each job / activity as training for your next venture. You don't know WHAT that might be, or when you need new skills.

ASK lots of questions, and challenge the norm (this can be rough on career path).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities