Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:41 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times

Advertisements

Have you thought about becoming a physician assistant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MumtazG38 View Post
Not that I couldn't start classes after the summer as I had planned just because I am pregnant, but because I do not want to have to take a break from college in October after the baby is born for 3 or so months to take care of the baby. My fear is that the break will pull me right back out of my "groove" and I'll lose the devotion/passion for college after the baby is born as my need to be there for the baby will be dominant. I just don't want to stop in the middle and risk losing fed aid (doubt that would happen, though I've heard it can).
Pell grants usually pay for 2 semester per year, generally spring and fall; but if you opt out of fall, then pell should cover summer semester. But be warned, you can't take a full load doring the summer. Here max for summer is 9 credits I think, while normal semesters 12 is considered full time and 18 max.

Quote:
My gut tells me to just apply for fed aid straight away and start classes immediately and if a break must be taken for some months than so be it. But I'm not sure if I'll feel the same way once the baby is actually here. Although, I guess I could just wait till after the baby is born plus the 3 or so months and then start.....but that would be such a waste of time........
The thing about pell grants is that if you skip a semester, it won't count against you. It's too late for spring, so your options are summer or fall; or wait till spring of 2013 to start classes.

Quote:
My questions:

What would be the fastest way to become a dentist from step one(not just get into dental school, but to actually be working? That is, what to do from here (GED) and/or which pre req's to take and how well to do in which ones in order to get at least the 90 credits fulfilled well enough that taking the DAT from there could be a successful step, not just to leave it to chance and still have to go a year or two more just cause I failed. Meaning, are there certain classes I could take to assist me in passing the DAT for sure. And if I were to pass the DAT with my 90 credits done would I definitely get into Dental College/School or is it still chancy since I wouldn't have the full 4 yr degree, despite getting a good score?
You are looking at at LEAST 6 years of school assuming you max out credits for all three semesters (spring summer and fall) when you are working on the 90 cerdits. That's 18 credits per each of the 2 fall semesters, 18 each of the 2 spring semesters, and 9 each of the 2 summer semesters. That's HEAVY, and most single childless college students don't/can't do it. Not to mention 4 years of Dental school, and then internship/residency.

So six years min, but think realistically; and add about 3 or 4 yrs onto that; since you are a momma, and things happen.

Quote:
How much, on average, would taking classes in summer (may they be lab or non lab classes) cost out of pocket. Are there any loans I may be able to get to help cover those costs, or even part of them?
My local CC charges $140/credit hour, and most classes are 3 credits, so $420/class (for 3 credit classes). That's w/o lab fees, or books, or anything. You can take out student loans, but they are trickier than grants and scholarships.

Quote:
Day care, I know about the day care vouchers but I'm not sure whether I can get them here in Michigan in order to go to college. How would I go about getting the vouchers? What proofs would I need to apply since I'm not applying cause of work, but education?
Go to your local CC and ask, they will most likely direct you to the local food stamp office (Community based services offices), you will fill out forms and the like, and it might take a while before you know if you are approved or not.

Quote:
How long could it take to get those 90 credits down, say if I took one additional summer of college classes, or two, or three etc?
See above. As quick as 2 yrs if you max out, and as long as 45yrs if you only take 1 class per traditional semesters.

Quote:
Generally put, what is the fastest way to become a dentist w/ a 2 yr old and another baby on the way, w/ fed aid etc, especially if I'm quite behind on my math and science and may need some extra assistance to get back on track with those subjects after being out of school for so long, not that I was particularly well at those subjects while in school in any case. And, are there any tips anyone would like to share with me to help me with my science and math weakness dilemma? Any cheap classes or courses I could take to prepare me for those classes in college?
Any health field is very science/math intensive. And traditionally A&P 1 is designed to weed out those that shouldn't/can't make it in healthcare fields. Sign up for tons of tutoring (some colleges have this free on campus in study groups), and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Quote:
Sorry for the longest, most useless post of all time. Feel free to skim through.

I really appreciate any and all help!
No worries.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:07 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Also, getting financial aid for community colleges is next to impossible. If you qualify for aid there, you can pretty much count on not paying anything at a 4 year college, including having your room/board covered. Given that you are an older student there may be some opportunities for you to become a staff resident and have an on campus apartment in your pay. It would certainly make it easier to go to college with 2 small children and you would have a dorm full of babysitters as needed. Just something to think about.
I don['t know where you are getting your info at, but in my personal experience with CC's, this is not the case at all.

And where I am at, the local Uni's LOVE CC graduated transfer students. I mean love to the point that they give out immedieate scholarships for transfer students with a min AAS degree, that drops their tuition rate to a bit over the CC prices.

Local CC rate = $140/credit hour
Local Uni rate with transfer scholarship = $167/credit hour

Old 03-11-2012, 04:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Have you thought about becoming a physician assistant?
A PA is also a post-bachelor's program, and getting in is very competitive. You will find some programs say you only need 90 credits, but most applicants will have a degree. That is the same with dental school, actually.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:49 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I don['t know where you are getting your info at, but in my personal experience with CC's, this is not the case at all.

And where I am at, the local Uni's LOVE CC graduated transfer students. I mean love to the point that they give out immedieate scholarships for transfer students with a min AAS degree, that drops their tuition rate to a bit over the CC prices.

Local CC rate = $140/credit hour
Local Uni rate with transfer scholarship = $167/credit hour
Sure, they love transfer students into their nursing programs, their teaching programs, etc. but MEDIAL and DENTAL schools do not like CC credits for pre-reqs for medical school (science and math mostly). Head over to the student/doctor forums and see what one of the most common reasons for rejection into medical or dental school is, CC classes for pre-reqs.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Sure, they love transfer students into their nursing programs, their teaching programs, etc. but MEDIAL and DENTAL schools do not like CC credits for pre-reqs for medical school (science and math mostly). Head over to the student/doctor forums and see what one of the most common reasons for rejection into medical or dental school is, CC classes for pre-reqs.
Maybe you could provide a link for this. I'd love to see some documentation. If you get your degree from the University of Colorado (for example), they give the CC courses that they accept the same standing as if you earned them at CU.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Pick something truly enjoyable--not just lucrative--and do that. The future America won't be much like this one, and few will afford dental care since medical insurance will take all the money.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:26 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe you could provide a link for this. I'd love to see some documentation. If you get your degree from the University of Colorado (for example), they give the CC courses that they accept the same standing as if you earned them at CU.
MEDICAL SCHOOLS do not like this--not Undergrads. Again, go over to the student/doctor forums and look at the information there...

Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
MEDICAL SCHOOLS do not like this--not Undergrads. Again, go over to the student/doctor forums and look at the information there...
I agree.

Unfortunately, I think that the OP's dream is a little far-fetched. Right now, with only a GED, and (soon) two children, it seems that the odds of finishing dental school are heavily against you. Other medical careers ( physical therapist, dental hygenist, etc) are certainly within range, but dental school is a very, very, very long shot, especially when competing against top-notch graduates of highly-ranked schools, who will also be younger than you, and will offer the public more years of service..

Sorry, but it's my honest opinion..

Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Whether you go to community college or a 4-year, wait until after the baby is born. But that doesn't mean you can't be working on your dream.

Go to khanacademy.org and start working through the math and science sections. Also, get ahold of a couple textbooks (library, ebay, used books through Amazon) and start working through them. You can do this with whatever time you have available.

Then, when you are ready to start college, you will be better prepared. You'll be able to skip remedial classes, and you won't have to put as much time into your classes.
This is exactly what i was going to say. If you have a GED, that means that you have missed some vital material that you need to make it thru college classes--like chemistry probably--and in college, they will either assume that you've already had chemistry or you'll be taking remedial classes, which are like high school only now you're paying for them. Do not try to take college chemistry w/o knowing the prerequisite knowledge or you will fail--it's hard enough to make it thru w/o that handicap. Still, use those little moments that you have with baby and 2 yo and work on khanacademy and textbooks till you fall asleep at night if this is truly your dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities