U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:59 PM

93 posts, read 15,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
"You keep refering to your school as a big university. It's not a big deal at all. USF is no better than FAU or FIU or UCF." When the hell did I mention that smart one? In one post I mentioned USF as a populated school. ONE, not two, not three, therefore your comment of "You keep refering to your school as a big university" makes no sense at all.

I am not willing to relocate to NYC or DC. Those cities are crammed, stressful, cold, expensive, and just downright miserable places to live. I love to visit them, and have many times, but to live there is just not my thing.

I like Atlanta. I stayed there for a summer back in 2010 and I would be willing to move back for a job opportunity. I am generally open to moving for employment, but I won't take a job in the Northeast or Midwest. Anywhere else would be just fine.

And no, I didn't expect some nice consulting job. I wanted an entry level job in the insurance industry, as I have stated many times in the thread.

Quote:
Yes, I am aware that catastrophe claim adjusters don't work normal business hours. In fact, I am aware that they have to travel extensively for work. I didn't mind that though because I like to travel (one of the reasons I don't want to work weekends) and the job just seems very interesting.

I am willing to relocate, but not to Wisconsin. I am from Florida and I just wouldn't be able to take Wisconsin's winters. The last time I went to that part of the country was to visit Chicago a few years ago. It was June and it was too cold for me. lol.
Yep. Sorry. You're not worth trying to help. You're completing saying no to entire regions of the country- as a single young man- because the weather is cold?

We're in a depression and your skill set is virtually non-existent. Realistically, with your major you offer absolutely nothing to a potential employer beyond a capacity to learn something useful; and that's a maybe.

I empathize with your situation, I really do. I hate sales and I hate the fact that guidance counselors continue to push naive 18 year olds into dumb majors because "you can do anything you want if you put your mind to it! (cue bad music and a depressed lower middle class adviser speaking profundities)." But you're being laugh out loud ridiculous if you're not willing to make a big move to the economic hotspots bc u gets coldsy woldsly in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 12:12 AM

5,360 posts, read 1,564,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
He has been given plenty of VERY good advice and chooses not to listen. When you ask for advice and people give it, it's generally good form to say thank you and listen to what they say vs calling people names and copping an attitude....
The only one chopping an attitude is you.

Just so you know, I took several of the posters advice and applied for sales jobs. I currently have 4 interviews this week. Two of them are sales related and the other two are with insurance.

I thank those posters who reminded me that sales is not a terrible place to start in a company. I shouldn't be so averse to doing sales. Nearly all of my work experience is sales related. It's something that I'm good at, if nothing else.

If anyone has contributed nothing constructive to this conversation it is you, golfgal. Dont respond to my post.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:56 PM

5,092 posts, read 5,227,665 times
Quote:
The only one chopping an attitude is you.

Just so you know, I took several of the posters advice and applied for sales jobs. I currently have 4 interviews this week. Two of them are sales related and the other two are with insurance.

I thank those posters who reminded me that sales is not a terrible place to start in a company. I shouldn't be so averse to doing sales. Nearly all of my work experience is sales related. It's something that I'm good at, if nothing else.

If anyone has contributed nothing constructive to this conversation it is you, golfgal. Dont respond to my post.
I kinda thought like you when I was a few years younger so I definitely can relate..

Since you're just starting out in life and don't have much experience to offer and don't have much money saved up, you're on the right track if you think this way.

It doesn't matter if your first job(s) are not so glamorous or whatever.. at least if it puts food on the table and gives you experience that makes you employable, you're on the road to a better future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities