U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:56 PM

998 posts, read 943,618 times

Advertisements

Can any tell me of the cheapest online graduate schools they know. I have a very secure job but need to get a masters degree to move up. I am thinking of a masters in Information systems, accounting, or something along those lines. I found a school where it is $458 per credit, but I'd like something even cheaper if possible because I don't want a massive about of debt when I'm done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:34 PM

5,077 posts, read 4,379,800 times
These tuition rates are a little out of date, but they give you an idea of who's the cheapest.

Online Computer Science Masters - Best Affordable Online Degrees | Best Online Colleges | Best Online Universities | GetEducated.com

Old 03-10-2012, 09:23 AM

4,669 posts, read 8,634,129 times
The first place I'd check is public universities in your state because they should give you a decent in-state tuition rate. I'd also look into Western Governor's:

WGU Online University | Online Degree Programs, Accredited Bachelor's and Master's

Old 03-10-2012, 09:30 AM

6,628 posts, read 5,840,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Can any tell me of the cheapest online graduate schools they know. I have a very secure job but need to get a masters degree to move up. I am thinking of a masters in Information systems, accounting, or something along those lines. I found a school where it is $458 per credit, but I'd like something even cheaper if possible because I don't want a massive about of debt when I'm done.
Some good online graduate programs that I know of are:

Graduate Programs

Online Masters Degree Programs at SUNY Campuses

Online Master's Degrees and Graduate Programs - NECB

AMU Masters Programs

If you want a more reputable, but more expensive degree, I'd go with Northeastern University, located in Boston, MA:

Online Bachelor and Master Degree Programs | Northeastern University Online

Old 03-10-2012, 09:59 AM

2,696 posts, read 1,777,111 times
Often a brick and mortar grad program can be a lot cheaper than an online program if one is offered near you.
For example, University of Missouri St Louis is only $348.50 per graduate credit hour/ $400.35 after fees. (And beware of fees... online programs can hit you with massive non-tuition fees.)

More importantly, online programs rarely, if ever, give you grant in aid. Brick and mortar frequently does; 50% tuition reductions are extremely common.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Often a brick and mortar grad program can be a lot cheaper than an online program if one is offered near you.
For example, University of Missouri St Louis is only $348.50 per graduate credit hour/ $400.35 after fees. (And beware of fees... online programs can hit you with massive non-tuition fees.)

More importantly, online programs rarely, if ever, give you grant in aid. Brick and mortar frequently does; 50% tuition reductions are extremely common.
This is a good point. A lot of people are offered great discounts on tuition from local colleges. I live in NY and I know that the Rochester Institute of Technology offers huge aid for their graduate degree programs if done on campus.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:35 AM

156 posts, read 162,609 times
Do want cheap and quick or inexpensive?

Old 03-10-2012, 11:22 PM

5,077 posts, read 4,379,800 times
If anyone looked at the link I posted, it doesn't get much cheaper than Columbus State University which charges in-state and out-of-state students $210 per credit hour for their MS in Applied Computer Science. There might be an in-state school that's cheaper like East Carolina University, which is also on the link I posted.

Columbus State University: Grad - Program Details

Minot State University charges $307.94 per credit hour regardless of your residency status and it has an information systems program.

MSU - College of Business

For accounting, University of South Dakota charges $368 per credit hour regardless of residency.

Online Master of Professional Accountancy - USD

Old 03-11-2012, 12:58 AM

11,098 posts, read 9,736,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Some good online graduate programs that I know of are:

Graduate Programs

Online Masters Degree Programs at SUNY Campuses

Online Master's Degrees and Graduate Programs - NECB

AMU Masters Programs

If you want a more reputable, but more expensive degree, I'd go with Northeastern University, located in Boston, MA:

Online Bachelor and Master Degree Programs | Northeastern University Online
NORTH EASTERN UNIVERSITY is
MORE REPUTABLE THAN BINGHAMTON or STONY BROOK?
I am not being chauvinistic at all, but ask any academic, check out one of the reputable college ranks - North Eastern is seen by many as a glorified vocational school. It's come up in ranking in recent years, but it is still a career oriented university that gets a major boost from it's highly desirable Boston local.

And the OP was looking for an inexpensive university. NEU is not cheap!

Old 03-11-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
NORTH EASTERN UNIVERSITY is
MORE REPUTABLE THAN BINGHAMTON or STONY BROOK?
I am not being chauvinistic at all, but ask any academic, check out one of the reputable college ranks - North Eastern is seen by many as a glorified vocational school. It's come up in ranking in recent years, but it is still a career oriented university that gets a major boost from it's highly desirable Boston local.

And the OP was looking for an inexpensive university. NEU is not cheap!
...it's a pretty reputable school and well-known. I know it isn't cheap, and that's why I said:

Quote:
If you want a more reputable, but more expensive degree, I'd go with Northeastern University, located in Boston, MA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities