Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it too late for me to still pursue my dream of going to a prestigious grad program?
Yes, it is too late, do good and make the best of what you can though 10 34.48%
Only if we are talking Ivies but you still have a chance, keep pushing 3 10.34%
Keep pushing, you may still have a chance at the Ivies, don't give up! 2 6.90%
You are only 19, keep calm, it can happen if you do good from here 14 48.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:33 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
probably because those are low LSAT scores. on the other hand its hard to make up for a low gpa, too. the op would have to study hard

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp...e-Programs.htm
I don't know that I would consider top 5% of all LSAT scores low (165 is 2 SDs over the median) but my point was more to do with the fact that these people had 3.9+ as well which there is no way OP can reach.

According to your link OP would need a 178+ (which would be like top .5% in the nation) and a 3.3 to have the same shot as somebody with a 3.9+ and a 166 that was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 06:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Do whatever you can to go to a good school at some point. There's a lot of people on this forum who downplay the benefits of good schools and many that suggest XYZ school is good or good enough just to justify their background.

The reality is that the list of good schools is really short (even more when you break it down to a specific field). You should no longer be focusing on whether you should go to a good school... rather focus on how you're going to get there.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I do think OP sounds like he wants some degree (unclear which) from a very specifically prestigious place because, at least to some extent, it will extinguish the ugly past and prove them wrong.
A set-up for failure if that is what the degree is supposed to do, or if OP can't get to those schools. It does seem that a field or school should depend more on what it actually is, not where the diploma is printed.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
You need 60 hours from a university in order to graduate. So unless you are planning on transferring immediately you will be taking extra classes to graduate.

From the statistics you provided there is almost no way you get into any of the law schools you mentioned.

I know people with 3.9+ and 164-166s on their LSATs that got rejected from Northwestern.

Best case scenario you end up with a 3.3ish (that is straight 4.0 for your last 60 hours) and a 1900 on the SAT probably translates to a low to mid 150s on the LSAT.
Quote:
I don't know that I would consider top 5% of all LSAT scores low (165 is 2 SDs over the median) but my point was more to do with the fact that these people had 3.9+ as well which there is no way OP can reach.

According to your link OP would need a 178+ (which would be like top .5% in the nation) and a 3.3 to have the same shot as somebody with a 3.9+ and a 166 that was my point.
First off Northwestern is a bit of a weird school in that they really favor LSAT over GPA. It is called "splitter friendly" basically it means they are forgiving of people with mediocre GPAs if they have high LSATs,. I have heard of people with 2.9/2.8 getting into NW with scores in the 170s and understand it is not unusual.

A lot of it really depends the individual school. GPA/LSAT are probably by far the most important with the latter being more important at most places, but other things can come into play as well. For example, I noticed UNC on the OP's list, that school tends to favor North Carolina applicants for 70%+ of spaces even though North Carolinians only make up 25% of applicants. Thus if you are a qualified North Carolinian your chances are improved vs a non-North Carolinian.

Additionally I think it is kind of difficult to predict LSAT scores until you have taken it. For the most part it is a very learnable test, but some extremely gifted people just cannot break a 160 and some people are just naturally good and can get into the 170s without much effort. For others improvement is simply a matter of dedication. I don't think your SAT scores are necessarily a good indication of how you will do on the LSAT.

Furthermore LSAT scores are highly subjective in terms of what people consider "good", but with that said when you consider that anything less then the top 50% makes it difficult to get into any law school getting in the top 5% might not be good enough if you are shooting for a tippy top school.

With that said I do believe that it is very much an uphill climb for the OP to get into any of those schools.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 03-14-2012 at 09:58 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
I am not a fan of flame wars but they happen. Everyone, obviously the user "gimme it" is trying to bring something completely irrelevant (or mostly irrelevant) to the situation on here. Not only will it fail to solve problems, it will create more issues. I urge you to ignore the parents thread and her outlook on it and be more objective as you have been in giving me educational advice. You have all been helpful and supportive in this matter to me, I would like for it to stay that way.

As a member, I find the crowd on this section is far more understanding of the issue and willing to offer a resolution as opposed to just outright attacking me and calling me a whiner (which I have been occasionally).
Dude, you can't just pretend our other threads don't exist, especially when they are related (a lot of threads in the education forum are related to parenting and vice versa). You originally introduced the topic of your parents forcing you to major in something you didn't like, which is relevant in both the parenting forum and he education forum. Your education seems to be inexplicably tied to the relationship with your parents, an issue that, while introduced in another forum, bears relevance in this if this is still an issue (what does it matter what your GPA is if it's in a major handpicked by your parents and that you hate? Especially since, as you claimed before, this is an issue that is affecting your GPA?).

One feature of this forum, and many others, is the the ability to look through a poster's past responses and, in the past, many a troll have been caught telling different tales on different forums on the safe site. I think if the issues you presented on the parenting forum still exist, the last thing you need to worry about is trying to get into some prestigious college and focus more on not wasting your time getting a BA/BS in an area of study not of your choosing that you dislike and will do bad in. Focus on your current situation and don't freak out about getting into a prestigious grad school.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:35 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
Quote:

sorry, i meant that it was low for a top school

Old 03-15-2012, 06:22 AM

125 posts, read 268,455 times
no, you cannot bring garbage in from the parenting forum on to here, it is even alienating the poll really, get it out

Old 03-15-2012, 06:50 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,930 times
You hated that your parents were soooooo controlling, and you are engaging in the same controlling behavior. You have been given all kinds of good advice in ALL of your threads which pertain to the same thing, just said differently.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:20 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Why are you even here asking if something is possible or not? If you want something, work your ass off for it and don't let anyone tell you it isn't possible. How do you expect to be successful in any part of your life when you sit around and try to blame other people for your mistakes or ask other people if something is possible for you?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-15-2012 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Removed comments

Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
name some then
Instead of lamenting the possibiliting of not being accepted to an Ivy you should be focusing on how to get your GPA up. Take responsibility for turning your life around, its too late to cry over the past. Move forward. Chose a major you enjoy. Work hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities