Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:07 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times

Advertisements

A Bachelor's degree in Theater doesn't sound like a very employable degree. Some will tell you to "follow your heart," but seriously, a college degree is meant to help you get a job. This type of degree doesn't sound like one that will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 06:54 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I know a guy who likes to act, but he does it part time. He has a conventional job and does the local seasonal community theater thing so he can also act.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
I know Northeastern had a major of Music Industry. It was BS program that combined music composition with music production/studio work, etc.

If your passion is Theater, perhaps a program that concentrates in the management of a theater would be more marketable.

Or maybe just a business management degree with a minor in theater.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:16 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I wouldn't discourage you from studying your field of choice, but it's very difficult for even the best actors to make a living of it. I double majored, one of the majors being theatre, just for the fun of it...not with career aspirations toward that. But many of my acquaintances, excellent performers, do choose to work in it. Exactly two have been able to make it a full-time job, with no need for other primary income. One is only able to swing that because she went from performing into management, and founded and runs a small regional theatre company...she's not really acting, anymore, she 's running a business. The other is acting full-time...at significant personal cost. In order to make a go of it, he bounces all over the country year-round to different regional theaters for gigs with their various seasons. He's 37, has his MFA, and doesn't see his wife for three months at a time while he does the circuit. But, for most, following a career in theatre doesn't preclude you from doing other jobs to pay the bills...just reality.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
I suggest starting with community college and getting an AA. While there USE the resources they have try to get "involved" in the school, not drive up to class 5 min. Late then leave after.

Take time to explore career options when you are in other non theatre classes. Get involved with the career center. You may find a career you enjoy as well, that can give you a comfortable living and allow you to pursue a hobby in theatre.

Do that taking out minimal loans and get an AA use that time to help you plan your route for your bachelors. You will see other options and other plans you can make and not really waste your time because you will need gen ed classes from an AA for any bachelors.

SAY you find something that pays well and you can carry it over to theatre or even just make enough money you can enjoy you hobbys.

Not saying there is no chance of making a decent wage in theatre. Just be careful.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:52 AM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times
Sure, and while you're at it, get a Minor in Unemployment....

Old 03-15-2012, 11:10 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
An old roommate of mine was a hardcore libertarian/conservative when I was in school with him. He was a Photography major. He graduated with a BA in photography and now majority of his facebook statuses consist of why the government isn't creating enough jobs and that it needs to do more for us.

Gee, what happened?

Old 03-15-2012, 01:49 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
Everyone usually has more than one thing that interests them. For example, you love acting and you love children. Double major in theater and education. Or let's say you find people fascinating- double major in psychology and theater. Do you love to read or write poems? Double major in English and Theater. If you just want to act, you can take classes at a conservatory and skip college, but remember you will most likely wait tables. With an English degree you can get a job in public relations, advertising, publishing. It's not like you have to double major in theater and quantum physics.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:21 PM

912 posts, read 1,332,011 times
I would love to get a degree in theater .However ,the past jobs I have had are only in retail . I don't want to spend my life working in the same place I want to get out of .Really,this isn't 1900's anymore when people went to the theater for entertainment such as operas or plays .I could see this degree having some use.Given the fact that this is the digital age theater work just isn't as popular as it used to be.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:41 PM

158 posts, read 239,186 times
I would definitely say that if you have the money then you should double major in business and theatre or at least do a minor in either. I know someone that has a degree in theatre and he went and got his certificate in teaching and now he teaches. You could do that and that would be fine, just make sure that you have a back up plan because you do not want to have a degree and then have to explain it to an employer. The other thing that I could think of is to teach on the college level. Have you considered that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities