U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-15-2012, 07:37 AM

3 posts, read 11,756 times
Default Business management vs Criminal justice?

It's said to study what you love, but I like both to travel and private security..
Everything aside, who makes the most money, a management consultant or a security consultant?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 12:36 PM

4,466 posts, read 4,363,268 times
A CJ degree will not prepare you in the least to be a security consultant (and there are plenty of security consultants out there).

Old 03-15-2012, 12:47 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,657,877 times
From what I gather, a security consultant is normally valued for their experience, not their degree.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,152,219 times
Neither. A management consultant is so generic, and the work could potentially be so boring. How does one prepare to be a security consultant (sounds like more of an IT background than CJ)?

Old 03-15-2012, 05:39 PM

4,466 posts, read 4,363,268 times
I believe he means the security of people, places and things. It's a tough gig to get. A lot of ex federal agents in the field because they have world class training and experience. There are certain certifications available that are much more important than what degree you have. No one starts out as security consultant. No one who expects to eat, anyway.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:19 PM

1,570 posts, read 840,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcon View Post
It's said to study what you love, but I like both to travel and private security..
Everything aside, who makes the most money, a management consultant or a security consultant?
A security consultant is likely former career military or police - a degree alone won't get you the gig.

Ask any cop, and they'll tell you that many business degrees are more useful than a C.J degree in law enforcement.

Finally, a C.J degree is about the criminal justice system, not about, say, security.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:20 PM

166 posts, read 51,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcon View Post
You won't land a job easily with just a bachelor degree in either one of them. You better plan to have a high GPA and to attend graduate school.

If you don't want to go to graduate school, get an accounting degree.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:22 PM

4,816 posts, read 3,883,147 times
Yes, there are security consultants who consult on things like industrial, physical, and corporate security; but there isn't a lot of demand. Like others have said, experience is most important. There are very few police departments in all levels of government that require or have a strong preference for criminal justice degrees. For jobs like parole and probation that do require a degree in criminal justice, they also accept other degrees in the behavioral sciences. Get the business management degree; it'll have more utility and flexibility, but you can't jump right into management consulting.

Criminal justice has to be one of the most useless majors out there. Even insurance fraud jobs that look for criminal justice majors also look for business, finance, and accounting majors. I have only come across a few jobs that absolutely require only a criminal justice degree and most of them are in corrections. From personal experience, it is very hard to move up in the private security industry. There is a lot of politics, nepotism, fraternizing, and favoritism. People, normally, do not move up based on merit and seniority. In my opinion, the whole private security industry is inept because it's filled with stupid people who are incapable of doing anything else and will die making $12 an hour. It's a nice job to have while going to college though.

There are degrees in security management and homeland security/emergency management, but these are relatively new and it is yet to be seen how useful they are in gaining employment. Contrary to popular belief, the FBI and CIA do not want CJ majors for most gigs. There are only two positions I've seen in the CIA that listed CJ as a desirable degree along with psychology, sociology, and even English and those openings are no longer up. Off the top of my head, the U.S. Marshals and ICE have a preference for CJ, law, etc. If you want to go into intelligence, get a STEM, business/economics/finance/accounting, political science, international relations, regional/foreign area studies, or national security/security studies degree and learn a critical needs language.

Last edited by L210; 03-15-2012 at 11:34 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 12:30 AM

1,570 posts, read 840,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Yes, there are security consultants who consult on things like industrial, physical, and corporate security; but there isn't a lot of demand. Like others have said, experience is most important. There are very few police departments in all levels of government that require or have a strong preference for criminal justice degrees. For jobs like parole and probation that do require a degree in criminal justice, they also accept other degrees in the behavioral sciences. Get the business management degree; it'll have more utility and flexibility, but you can't jump right into management consulting.

Criminal justice has to be one of the most useless majors out there. Even insurance fraud jobs that look for criminal justice majors also look for business, finance, and accounting majors. I have only come across a few jobs that absolutely require only a criminal justice degree and most of them are in corrections. From personal experience, it is very hard to move up in the private security industry. There is a lot of politics, nepotism, fraternizing, and favoritism. People, normally, do not move up based on merit and seniority. In my opinion, the whole private security industry is inept because it's filled with stupid people who are incapable of doing anything else and will die making $12 an hour. It's a nice job to have while going to college though.

There are degrees in security management and homeland security/emergency management, but these are relatively new and it is yet to be seen how useful they are in gaining employment. Contrary to popular belief, the FBI and CIA do not want CJ majors for most gigs. There are only two positions I've seen in the CIA that listed CJ as a desirable degree along with psychology, sociology, and even English and those openings are no longer up. Off the top of my head, the U.S. Marshals and ICE have a preference for CJ, law, etc. If you want to go into intelligence, get a STEM, business/economics/finance/accounting, political science, international relations, regional/foreign area studies, or national security/security studies degree and learn a critical needs language.
Case in point, my wife with a B.S in Accounting got a call from an FBI recruiter... I get the feeling that doesn't happen for C.J justices...

Old 03-16-2012, 01:32 AM

4,816 posts, read 3,883,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Case in point, my wife with a B.S in Accounting got a call from an FBI recruiter... I get the feeling that doesn't happen for C.J justices...
Nope. The FBI is looking for lawyers, accountants, and IT professionals. If you don't have one of those degrees or a special skill set such as foreign language fluency, you get dumped into the "diversified" pool. I've heard that the overwhelming majority of FBI applicants are CJ majors. So not only are you dumped into the diversified pool competing with a bunch of liberal arts majors, but you also have to compete with thousands of other CJ majors when the rare chance comes along that the FBI is looking to diversify with yet another CJ hire. Unless you have law enforcement experience to go with the CJ degree, your chances of getting in are very slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities