Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 08:58 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,839,860 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm trying to figure out what is the best option for me at this point. I graduated back in 2009, with a bachelors in business marketing and a minor in mass communication. I had internships and an excellent GPA all throughout college. I also went to a top midwest university. Because of this I was able to land a good job right out of undergrad--to which I stayed at a year, before moving on to another one. The issue, is that I was very unhappy in the field I was in. I never liked marketing to begin with, or "business". I had started off undergrad as a journalism major, but switched my junior year when my dad explained to me that print journalism was a dying field. He told me that switching to business was the "smart" option. So that is what I did. And I did well, in both jobs, and in college. However my heart was not in it(and still isn't) and I've always--since I was in highschool--wanted to be a journalist.
I'm at a crossroads now, because I know that I no longer want to work in my field, but with the economy the way it is, and with many people willing to do internships that actually have journalism degrees, it's been extremely difficult trying to get my foot in the door, even trying to land unpaid internships. No one wants to give me a chance. So I don't know how I can get into this field, beyond going back to school. Which would mean taking out loans, etc--which I don't necessarily mind doing, but want to make sure I get a good ROI.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 04:40 PM

18,612 posts, read 33,184,922 times
I know a lot of journalists, none with master's degrees in journalism (and many without bachelor's, including some with no bachelor's).
Unless you got into something like Columbia's master's, I don't think a master's would do anything except give you the feeling that you are advancing somehow, plus spending/borrowing more money.
There are places to work in journalism that aren't print, and your father is certainly right about print.
Let's see, the journalists I know (who are in the 40s and 50s). Several laid off for good. One free-lance writer with decades of print experience. One making documentaries for PBS after being laid off from a staff job making documentaries for PBS.
One laid off from copyediting/translating after 20 years at an international wire service in Europe. Currently doing tarot card readings and writing a book on tarot and making his own card deck, doing some translating on the side.
One used to be a massage therapist, got a useless psych degree while divorcing, did an internship at a tiny TV station, and then, with MUCH urging and resume writing by a friend, took a job as receptionist at a small documentary/commercial film studio (six employees). Got them up and running with MacIntosh stuff she taught herself, became a P.A., then got a grant to make her own film, taught doc. film at community college, is continuing to hustle grants for more documentaries.
One great writer is the head editor of a weekly entertainment magazine in a major city. Freelanced articles for national outlets for many years. Had a radio show on sex advice in a major city. Has had plays produced and published two mystery books. Got his current great editorial job from contributing to the blog of that city's major newspaper, both print and online.
Oh, one woman did go to Columbia later in life after being a history professor. Wrote for major newspapers, wrote several books, got a Fulbright to teach journalism abroad.
There are so many places to practice journalism, and so many more people who want to do so.It is, nicely, one of the few professions where general knowledge and real communication ability matter more than degrees. I think a degree would only help if it didn't cost too much and got terrific connections.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:23 PM

37 posts, read 166,339 times
What type of journalism were you looking to do? I dont think a master's degree is neccesary. You can write online articles about marketing. There are a lot of people writing articles on subjects they have no idea what they are talking about. I would suggest you go into journalism working on business articles. I think you might have an advantage because you do have a degree in that field. From there you might be able to move onto different types of articles. If things do not work out, then you have your degree in business to fall back on. Good luck. I hope you find a job that you love.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 PM

4,824 posts, read 6,828,544 times
Based on the info. received from my next door neighbor's daughter in law (talk about heresay) who's a professor of journalism at a large university, the only advantage to getting a graduate degree in journalism is if you want to teach it at the university level. To her if you're performing journalism outside of education getting ahead is a matter of ability, perseverence, and connections.

In my opinion, the advice that you already received as to pursuing a job in reporting on business might be right on.

As a businessman, I can tell you we still devour any information published that may give us an edge. Business journalism still is flourishing.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,572,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Based on the info. received from my next door neighbor's daughter in law (talk about heresay) who's a professor of journalism at a large university, the only advantage to getting a graduate degree in journalism is if you want to teach it at the university level.
Right. This is the main reason for getting a master's in journalism.

I have a bachelor's in journalism, a master's in English education.

Journalism as a whole today is VERY different and still changing. The Internet makes (almost) everyone (think they are) a journalist.

If you want to work in journalism, you have to accept that you are going to have to be a self-starter, not shy about asking people questions they don't want to answer, and work for almost nothing.

Boost your skill set. Most major media outlets these days want you to be a jack-of-all-trades. They can't afford too many reporters, editors, typesetters, photographers and page designers anymore. They expect YOU to be able to do all of those things for your very low wage.

It can be an exciting field because you get access to events and situations most people only, ahem, read about. You also get to learn about all kinds of things. You really need to know a little bit about a LOT of things.

If you want to get a foot in the door somewhere, start freelancing. Choose a newspaper/magazine or website you want to work for and send them a query letter with story ideas. SHOW THEM how you can make their job easier by bringing them the things they should be covering.

To do this, though, you have to be thorough and relentless. It is very hard to support yourself by freelancing, but it can help get you a paying position.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,786,514 times
If you make it into journalism, do me a favor and just *report* the *news*.
Do NOT add your own feelings.
Nobody is interested in Skewed Opinions !!!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,268,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Right. This is the main reason for getting a master's in journalism.

I have a bachelor's in journalism, a master's in English education.

Journalism as a whole today is VERY different and still changing. The Internet makes (almost) everyone (think they are) a journalist.

If you want to work in journalism, you have to accept that you are going to have to be a self-starter, not shy about asking people questions they don't want to answer, and work for almost nothing.

Boost your skill set. Most major media outlets these days want you to be a jack-of-all-trades. They can't afford too many reporters, editors, typesetters, photographers and page designers anymore. They expect YOU to be able to do all of those things for your very low wage.

It can be an exciting field because you get access to events and situations most people only, ahem, read about. You also get to learn about all kinds of things. You really need to know a little bit about a LOT of things.

If you want to get a foot in the door somewhere, start freelancing. Choose a newspaper/magazine or website you want to work for and send them a query letter with story ideas. SHOW THEM how you can make their job easier by bringing them the things they should be covering.

To do this, though, you have to be thorough and relentless. It is very hard to support yourself by freelancing, but it can help get you a paying position.
Can't rep you enough...one of the best, most accurate, and insightful posts I have read on here.

I worked as a print journalist...my undergrad degree was English, and so was that of most of my colleagues, including the sports writers. A journalism degree was not necessary, at the graduate or undergraduate level. All the things mentioned above were necessary, though, especially the bit about being very self-motivated, dogged about getting the information you need when you need it, and accepting that you're not going to be paid richly for your efforts.

If you are interested in learning about a huge range of topics it is a great field. In the near- decade I was a reporter and writer, I got to bone up on topics as disparate as how to spin Alpaca wool, what it means to have alopecia areata as a middle school cheerleader, how to build a commercial grade wind farm, how to raise and train carrier pigeons, How EMTs train for auto extrication, and how to fly a helicopter, to name a few. Having intellectual curiosity is a huge asset.

Ditto on the being a generalist/jack of all trades, esp with the changing face of media. I reported, wrote features, hard news, edited, typeset, proofread, wrote columns, did page design and layout, did film photography back in the day and later digital photography, basically did everything but selling and designing advertising, selling subscriptions, and printing and delivering the whole dang thing.

You certainly can get a masters in journalism. But it is really not likely to be anymore practical or useful than just getting out there and doing it, hands on.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,268,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If you make it into journalism, do me a favor and just *report* the *news*.
Do NOT add your own feelings.
Nobody is interested in Skewed Opinions !!!
There are many types of journalistic writing that leave plenty of room for opinion, feelings, writer's voice, etc., and where it is appropriate. Hard news reporting is only one type. In my opinion, it is the most boring to do, from a writing standpoint, but somebody's gotta do it. We can't all be feature writers, op ed columnists, critics, reviewers, commentators, cartoonists, etc., which means somebody's gotta be cranking out the news wire-style stuff.

P.S. All opinions are "skewed." The fact that they are personally held viewpoints to begin with gives them innate bias. And neither word requires capitalization within this context. And, for what it's worth, TONS of people are interested in reading others' opinions...there is a reason that the most hits on online versions of papers go to op Ed pieces and comment sections.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 AM

41,728 posts, read 74,675,578 times
I worked as a print journalist for 17 years and never once considered getting a master's degree. It wasn't necessary.

What's necessary is that you know how to research and write the news, and can produce proof that you can do so. What experience in journalism do you already have?

Where are you looking for jobs? Have you considered seeking jobs that meld your interest in journalism with your experience in marketing?

Old 03-24-2012, 02:52 PM

36 posts, read 107,310 times
Look at the statistics. Job prospects for journalists are extremely weak at best (and that's glass-half-full thinking). So, you need to decide if that is a good investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities