U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,440 times

Advertisements

dental hygiene is a great career if you get into a great office. The chances of that are pretty slim. There are a lot of dentists out there who are not good bosses or dentists. Your first job as a hygienist will probably be with one of these dentist since these are the jobs that become available most often. Good offices do not have turn over. Nurses have much more opportunity to change jobs and find better fits. Finding a job in dental hygiene is very hard especially in this economy. If I had it to do over I would definately go into nursing. I actually found a job in one of the best offices in vandalia and I love it. However, I have worked for several other dentists who have been awful to work for. Dental hygienist should never depend on getting the hours they are supposed to work they almost always lose hours when patients cancel or dentists go on vacation ect. Lots of Dentists don't want to pay a fair wage or provide things that are best for the patient. you almost never get benefits. only full time hygienist get vacation or holiday pay and it often takes a while to get full time. I thank God every day for the job I have but wouldn't recommend going into a field with too many hygienist for the jobs available and a lot of those jobs suck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 04:51 PM

11,098 posts, read 9,736,383 times
Very simply put - nursing is a more diverse field. You can work in NICU, ER, psych, go on for a masters or doctorate be a travel nurse, a school nurse - I mean I could go on and on.

But if you have a passion for teeth - or eventually want to become a dentist - then study dental hygiene.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:05 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,704,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
I'm taking my science pre-reqs to possibly go into nursing. However, i have also thought about dental hygiene. i'm leaning more towards nursing because of the demand right now. i am assuming there are many more job opportunities and security. but i do know that many nurses complain about the hours, the disrespect from doctors, patients & families, and from being overworked. i'm not lazy but i do tend to listen when i hear too many people complain about the same thing. dental hygienists make about the same money per hour but they don't work as many hours so no pay differentials or opportunities for advancement.
Is anybody a dental hygienist? What's that like? How is the turnover rate? Is it easy to get a job?
I would suggest getting a nursing job or getting a PA job (it is sweet). From there, your salary can go much higher with more training (i.e. masters, nurse anesthesiologist, PICC nurse, or nurse practitioner who functions just like a doctor... SWEET). You won't have to do as much disgusting scut work in subsets of nursing fields. From a hygenist you can't really move up much that I know of... and job security isn't that great.

An alternative is X-ray / CT / Ultrasound / MRI tech, if you like technology but don't want to deal with people's bodily fluids too much.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 8 days ago)

70,008 posts, read 60,539,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I would suggest getting a nursing job or getting a PA job (it is sweet). From there, your salary can go much higher with more training (i.e. masters, nurse anesthesiologist, PICC nurse, or nurse practitioner who functions just like a doctor... SWEET). You won't have to do as much disgusting scut work in subsets of nursing fields. From a hygenist you can't really move up much that I know of... and job security isn't that great.

An alternative is X-ray / CT / Ultrasound / MRI tech, if you like technology but don't want to deal with people's bodily fluids too much.
Do you mean Physician's Assistant? That requires a master's degree and is difficult to get into, due to competition.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:53 PM

432 posts, read 592,184 times
NURSING- more money, better schedule, more prestige.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,348 times
am actually about to start the dental higyne program...and so far is awsome you make real good money here in texas u can make up to 106,000 a year! and its very flexible, you dont have to work night shifts and all that. nursing was my first choice but then changed my mind!! go for dental hygine. here in wylie, tx some clinics are offering $55 an hour!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:19 AM

2,415 posts, read 1,542,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
NURSING- more money, better schedule, more prestige.
Haha says someone that probably has never worked as a nurse or knows nothing about the actual day to day work of a nurse. Prestige? LMAO! I'm an RN and let me tell you there is very little "prestige" in this profession. More money? Trust me I should be making twice what I do for the crap and responsibility that I deal with. Better schedule? That's probably the only good thing about the profession. NURSING OVERALL SUCKS for people that have any semblance of motivation, intelligence and financial ambition. It's yes sir type of work. You're told what to do and how to do it.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:08 PM

86 posts, read 73,598 times
Default I used to be an RDH

Many here are mistaking assistants for hygienists. Common misconception so you'll have to do some educating if you decide to go for it. I was just at the dentist today and he said he's paying his hygienists $45/hr. That's excellent pay for an associate's degree with licensure. I live in NJ about an hour from NYC. I got my associate's degree back in the 80s but never kept up my license because I got my BS and then went to grad school for an unrelated degree and changed fields. I didn't like hygiene but it's much more diversified these days. I got bored but now hygienists give injections for anesthesia and have much more to do than just scale teeth.

It's physically demanding to be a hygienist as well as a nurse. My bad back couldn't take it. If you go for hygiene, I would recommend trying for a job with a periodontist so you are not in an assembly line type of office. Nursing is different and there are more opportunities, however, you get a lot of bang for your buck with DH. GL with your decision...

Old 07-10-2010, 12:22 AM

1,627 posts, read 2,538,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Wow amazing. I work in a hospital and don't see what you see. Also Nurses can make great money. Most of our nurses drive BMW's, MB, Audi's, Lexus and Porsche. I know Nurses making from $35 to $120 an hour and that is for a 3 day 12 hour a day shift. Many of them work a couple days on our inhouse registry or at another hospital in the area. Yes at times it can get stressfull but the benefits far out weigh the stress.
Ahhh- my kind of hospital. Is this in Ventura?

Old 07-14-2010, 05:27 PM

11 posts, read 18,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do you mean Physician's Assistant? That requires a master's degree and is difficult to get into, due to competition.

You only need a bachelors to be a physician's assistant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities