Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 3,772 times

Advertisements

I know most people advise against a second bachelors, but I feel that my case may solicit some interesting responses.

I graduated with a marketable degree in Business/IT and began a promising (and lucrative) career as a Business Analyst for a large corporation. Almost immediately, I realized that working in the IT field was not for me. Around the same time, my creative pursuits consumed me whole and I re-discovered my artistic side.

Growing up I was always a creative and have had an eye for design, fashion, aesthetics. I was one of the 'cool', 'hip' kids as long as I've been alive lol. I have always drawn and created but I was HEAVILY discouraged by my immigrant family to go into any form of liberal or creative fields. The only viable career path for me was to either be a computer scientist, lawyer, or doctor.

Coincidentally, I was presented with an option to pursue a technical degree from one of the best state schools in the area - and since I was entering college post-recession (2010), I took it. I was miserable, almost dropped out, had to switch my major, but somehow I miraculously graduated with an IT degree and got a prestigious job.

Yet, I've been unhappy from the very start because I love art.

I have begun painting two years ago and my life completely changed. I discovered that I have a lot of natural talent and without ever having never taken an art class, I can paint representational and figurative works. My art is colorful, interesting, and makes people talk. My friends, family, acquaintances, and even strangers enjoy my paintings and I have realized that I want nothing more but to dedicate my life to painting and art.

Fast forward to 2018: I am living in NYC and have been taking drawing and painting classes at various atelier art schools around the city for the past year and a half. I am growing a network of artists in the city, I go to live drawings weekly, and I work as a designer for a small start up to make ends meet.

However, I just feel that this isn't enough. I can't meet the right people because I have no 'basis' in the art world. As far as the art world is concerned, I'm just another 'Sunday' painter.

I've been doing some research and realized that I can pursue a second bachelors for a pretty affordable price. I wouldn't have to take all the Gen Ed's and I can go straight into art history and studio art classes. My goal is to graduate with a BFA in about two years (I'll be 29 by then) and then pursue an MFA in painting.

I plan to continue my design work on the side and I am confident that I can start my own design/analytics company to make ends meet.

Any thoughts? I am worried about going back to school with 20 year olds, however since most of my classes will be junior-senior level, it wouldn't be so bad. I'm also worried about the opportunity cost of going back to school and foregoing full time employment.

However, I just feel that I have exhausted all the resources currently available to me. As it stands, if you want to be in the art world, you must prove that you are serious about art. And the way I see it, at least a BFA is a must to get your foot in the door.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 09:31 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,002 times
You do not need a BFA to get your foot in the door in the art world. My wife went to an expensive private art school and earned a BFA. After school she worked in retail. A decade+ after graduating she is a stay at home parent and we are still paying for her school. She is a good artist but in all honesty lacks the drive to really pursue it as a career.

Conversely I have a cousin who is a fantastic artist. She never had a day of formal art training in her life and makes her living painting. She is an artist simply because she can't imagine herself being anything else. She is driven to make it work.

If you already have the skills no one cares if an artist has a degree. Keep working on your skills and pursue art on the side to see if you can turn it into a career.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:40 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Interesting perspective here: Should Artists Even Bother Getting an MFA? | Glasstire

Old 10-10-2018, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the link! Even though everyone keeps voicing that an BFA/MFA itself seems largely useless. ALL artists I know that have even gotten a MFA say that they would have not met their friends, or had opportunities open up for them if it wasn't for their MFA. So everyone advises against it, yet all of their careers have been built on the basis of having the degree. Sounds like an oxymoron, no?

Even from the article you linked, the artist says: "I don’t regret going to graduate school, I just think you’re either an artist or not before you get there. I met my friends there. I started a seven-year business with a good friend I met in the studios. I met my wife in an art class. The teachers are supposed to be the most interesting of the interesting people you hang out with while you buy time at 5% interest."

MFA gives you an opportunity to focus on your art and be surrounded by other artists. Of course, MOST artists won't graduate and become artists. However, what if you have natural ability, talent, drive, AND an MFA from a great school? Wouldn't that put you in the top 1% of artists?

Old 10-10-2018, 10:58 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Can you get in to a "great" MFA program without an undergrad degree in art and a portfolio review?

Old 10-10-2018, 11:19 AM

Well, thats why I want to finish the BFA program first. And then maybe even do a residency or two and then apply to the most competitive MFA programs in the country.

I have gone to a portfolio review where I was told I could get into SAIC for a post bacc program or their MFA program. But I'm more interested in schools around NYC or New Haven. Also, to complete a BFA it will cost me between $4K - $10K max, which I think is very reasonable

Old 10-10-2018, 11:51 AM

172 posts, read 107,949 times
A waste of time and money.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:25 PM

I got a useful and very practical degree that I can always fall back on but I wish I had just gone to school for studio art from the start.

If it is indeed a waste of time and money, but all I want to do is be a recognized artist and create for a living, what do you propose I do?

Old 10-10-2018, 12:45 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,137,942 times
Sounds like you want the MFA for the social benefits.

With the time of 2 years that you go to school, how many art events for networking can you go to instead?
To me, that seems like a better use of your time if you really want to network and showcase your talent.
Diligence in networking will work better for you than a degree.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:58 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyplant91 View Post
If it is indeed a waste of time and money, but all I want to do is be a recognized artist and create for a living, what do you propose I do?
I don't know if you read my other post but a degree really is not necessary to be a professional artist. I'm not saying classes wouldn't benefit you, but if you are already a good artist your best bet is to just work hard at it. I mentioned a family member who makes a living as an artist with zero formal training, and my wife who does not make a living as an artist but has a huge amount of debt from art school. It sounds like your mind was made up before you posted this thread but if I were you I would think long and hard about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities