U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-20-2012, 08:28 AM

991 posts, read 808,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A friend I went to highschool with just completed his law degree at Dartmouth last year. He landed a job in CA paying close to $200k before finishing school. I think as long as you go to a good school, you should be okay.

To the OP, PLEASE do not listen to stuff like this. This is the type of trap being laid to entice young people to destroy their whole lives by going to law school. Point is, those high paying jobs are few and VERY far between. My sister in law graduated from Columbia Law School in New York (top ten law school in the nation). She now has a job paying over $100K, but that was after several months networking back home in Dallas where she is from. There were no jobs in the NY metro area. She graduated from law school last May, and over half of her friends who graduated with her have not found jobs...but they do have $150K in non dischargeable student loan debt. Unless you are going to get a free ride, or your folks own a law firm and will hire you on graduation, dont do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-20-2012, 08:52 AM

10,009 posts, read 4,156,066 times
Quote:
A friend I went to highschool with just completed his law degree at Dartmouth last year. He landed a job in CA paying close to $200k before finishing school. I think as long as you go to a good school, you should be okay.
Really now? If your friend told you that he is lying. Dartmouth in NH does not have a law school and Dartmouth in MA just opened one two years ago and since it takes 3 years to go through law school that seems a bit, well misleading.

As to law school, I go, I have no where near $100K in debt, I do go to an actually good school and most of my friends seem to be on track for jobs as am I. I feel fine about my decision. The fact is you have to do your research well and before you consider anything else about law school you need to do well on the LSAT, if you have not taken the LSAT then any discussion of going to law school is pretty useless since you wont know where you stand.

Unread 03-20-2012, 09:02 AM

1,120 posts, read 751,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Really now? If your friend told you that he is lying. Dartmouth in NH does not have a law school and Dartmouth in MA just opened one two year and since it takes 3 years to go through law school that seems a bit well misleading.

As to law school, I go, I have no where near $100K in debt, I do go to an actually good school and most of my friends seem to be on track for jobs as am I. I feel fine about my decision. The fact is you have to do your research well and before you consider anything else about law school you need to do well on the LSAT, if you have not taken the LSAT then any discussion of going to law school is pretty useless since you wont know where you stand.
That's immediately what I was thinking. I didn't know Dartmouth had a law school and even if they did they aren't considered good by any of the rankings.

I think the "good school" thing is much less important than where you graduate in your class.

For example. I know 2 people very, very well that graduated from Wash U. in St. Louis. 1 finished in the top 25% but outside the top 10% and she still hasn't found a full time job. She just got a position as a contractor at a law firm in Chicago after 2 years of looking.

The other I know was at the very top of his class and has a 160k/year job in Mountain View, CA, which he got a year before he even graduated.

Like randomstudent said just know what you are getting yourself into. Graduating at the top of your class at a school ranked in the 60s or 70s with less than 40k debt because you got a scholarship is likely to be a much, much better decision than graduating in the top third of your class from a school ranked in the top 20 with 120k in debt.

Unread 03-20-2012, 09:04 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,437,402 times
Why would anyone go to law school in the vain hopes of getting a job? My advice to you is to give it up at once. If you really want to be a lawyer, you don't want to work for anyone else.

Unread 03-20-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Why would anyone go to law school in the vain hopes of getting a job? My advice to you is to give it up at once. If you really want to be a lawyer, you don't want to work for anyone else.
It helps to kind of have some experience before hanging out your own shingle. It is not as though they actually teach you to practice law in law school.

Unread 03-20-2012, 09:19 AM

3,769 posts, read 1,846,909 times
Quote:
Cool story bro.....

Unread 03-20-2012, 09:29 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,437,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
It helps to kind of have some experience before hanging out your own shingle. It is not as though they actually teach you to practice law in law school.
No one can teach you how to practice law; it comes from hard experience learned by oneself.

Unread 03-20-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
No one can teach you how to practice law; it comes from hard experience learned by oneself.
Yes, but I still think it is a stretch just to start out on your own simply because of malpractice, costs, finding clients, and other issues like the fact that you generally have no idea what you are doing when you first graduate and pass the bar.

Unread 03-20-2012, 09:39 AM

18,871 posts, read 12,183,412 times
You would be better off to get a degree as an MPA, or MBA. My friend, got her MBA in healthcare management, she is now making over $250,000 a year, plus bonuses. She works for a company that runs those assisted living places. Her life is fat. And there is not going to be a shortage of folks needing that type of placement, or management. The tuition is cheaper, and the field is wide open. Law, why bother? it is over saturated.

Unread 03-20-2012, 01:05 PM

2,504 posts, read 2,839,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You would be better off to get a degree as an MPA, or MBA. My friend, got her MBA in healthcare management, she is now making over $250,000 a year, plus bonuses. She works for a company that runs those assisted living places. Her life is fat. And there is not going to be a shortage of folks needing that type of placement, or management. The tuition is cheaper, and the field is wide open. Law, why bother? it is over saturated.

I've also considered an MPA as well. It seems a much cheaper option. MBA with my major requires alot pre-req's which I'm not willing to do. Last time I checked, 12 pre-req's which is like getting a minor.

I haven't taken a LSAT test. That would be a good start if I really want to venture down law school.

Thanks for the opinions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities