Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:21 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

Every credible econometric model of the supply of & demand for legal services shows an excess of supply.

If it were me, I would focus on a handful of areas with demonstrated demand. Tax law comes to mind. Patent law also comes to mind (it is possible to sit for the patent bar even being a social sciences major if you have the necessary coursework).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 AM

178 posts, read 376,182 times
An old law school friend of mine once said she believed people go to law school for legitimacy. She was right, everyone that goes to law school wants to be a lawyer, with all its social, economic, and personal opportunities the profession may have to offer. Despite the over supply of lawyers perception, people know its not easy to become one, only few do, and they generally peak people's attention and curiosity when you deal with them.

Should you go to law school? I never encourage anyone to go to law school, being a lawyer is not easy no matter what or where you practice. The practice of law is primarily problem resolution, i.e., you are hired to help solve someone's problem, which means you are expected to steer it to a satisfactory end. Excelling at solving other people's problem takes practice and skill, which some lawyers do better than others. And if you aren't good at it, being a lawyer can suck. Choose wisely.

To state an observation that's often overlooked, over half of the lawyers out there graduated in the bottom half of their class --which typically suggests these attorneys will be challenged in trying to find a job to starting their experience, and careers. And despite what applicants may believe about their potential for law school success, class ranking is a sobering experience for most.

Last edited by bignutz; 04-16-2012 at 12:27 AM..

Old 04-16-2012, 12:07 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I had a boyfriend in college who said, "I want to go to law school. I just want to *be* a lawyer. I don't want to do lawyer things."
Last I heard, he was an artist and got injured in the Israeli army.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:17 AM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I had a boyfriend in college who said, "I want to go to law school. I just want to *be* a lawyer. I don't want to do lawyer things."
Last I heard, he was an artist and got injured in the Israeli army.
I can sort of understand. I wanted to DO CPA things, just not become a CPA. Couldn't do one without the other.....

Old 04-16-2012, 06:22 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
I find it interesting that many JDs I know do not work as a practicing attorney-- they didn't want to go into that path.

A lot of these folks are corporate compliance experts, a few in university administration, a few in HR Employee Relations, etc.

Law can translate to other careers-- and not everyone who goes through law school is interested in arguing traffic court, personal injury, divorce, etc and etc.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Whether law school is "worth it or not" is a question that is unique to each person answering it.

The real problem today is that the stakes are higher than they used to be. Tuition has become exorbitant at even public universities. On the other hand, opportunities for lawyers have either remained the same or slightly decreased. Can you afford the gamble? That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Twenty seven years ago, I graduated from a law school with little reputation. I struggled to find work and when I had trouble doing so, I finally opened my own law firm. For me, it was the best decision I ever made (outside of who I picked to marry). Today, for example after a couple of depositions at my office, I'm taking the rest of the day off. Being self-employed has given me great flexibility and I can do things like drive my kids to school and help them with their homework.

My income is good, but irregular. It will never be on the level that lawyers make at big law firms. However, I never wanted to go that route.

My advice is if you really are determined to be a lawyer than do it. However, don't kid yourself that it will be easy. Getting established in the profession will be the hardest thing you've ever done--unless you are super bright, or you get some major breaks.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I find it interesting that many JDs I know do not work as a practicing attorney-- they didn't want to go into that path.

A lot of these folks are corporate compliance experts, a few in university administration, a few in HR Employee Relations, etc.

Law can translate to other careers-- and not everyone who goes through law school is interested in arguing traffic court, personal injury, divorce, etc and etc.
Didn't want to, or couldn't? Something on the order of 50% of all J.D holders do not practice law - I find it difficult to believe that half of all people going to law school either did not intend to practice law, or changed their mind while in law school. The reality of the situation is that the legal industry is contracting at a time when law schools have expanded in capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignutz View Post

To state an observation that's often overlooked, over half of the lawyers out there graduated in the bottom half of their class.
Okay, you've got me curious, how is that mathematically possible?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Actually a lot of p[eople who go to law school have no intention of becoming an attorney. Many plan to go into business. Some already have MDs and pland to be doctors. Some plan for politics. One gal I went to school with planned to be a housewife. She just thought it would be good to have an understanding of law.

Many try out the practice and then do other things after trying it for while. One friend became a cartoonist. One is now a chef. Another a music composer. Another sells cars. None of them regret having gone to law school.

Not all law involves resolving conflicts and problems. Many lawyers provide guidance, negotiate agreements, help identify, measure and manage risks, assure compliance with regulations. Frequently, in house legal counsel become the CEO of companies. Obtaining a legal edcuation is never a waste of time, there is alwasy a benefit as long as you can keep the changes in your thinking process under control. One professor said that the purpose of law school is not to teach you any particular law, laws constantly change, the purpose is to turn you into an A$$hole. (I.E. teach to to microanalyze everythign from problems to conversation). He explained: "We are really good at that. Do not worry about that part, you will get that part before you leave here. What you need to worry about is whether you can control what we teach you and learn to turn it off so that you can have interpersonal relationships"

Old 04-16-2012, 11:20 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Didn't want to, or couldn't? Something on the order of 50% of all J.D holders do not practice law - I find it difficult to believe that half of all people going to law school either did not intend to practice law, or changed their mind while in law school. The reality of the situation is that the legal industry is contracting at a time when law schools have expanded in
didn't want to.

I did have a close friend drop out of law school year 2. She hated it.

Not everyone wants to go into big law.

My best friend going to law school in the fall is looking to go into a public policy think tank after school similar to a mentor of her's. Her future roomie is hoping to go into the FBI.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Didn't want to, or couldn't? Something on the order of 50% of all J.D holders do not practice law - I find it difficult to believe that half of all people going to law school either did not intend to practice law, or changed their mind while in law school. The reality of the situation is that the legal industry is contracting at a time when law schools have expanded in capacity.

Okay, you've got me curious, how is that mathematically possible?

A huge number of people become disnenchated with the practice of law after leaving law school and finding out what it is really like. Lawyers have one of the lowest job staisfaction rates of any profession. I do not know if it is more than half that choose to leave the practice of law. Pretty much everyone I know or have met leaves their first job thinking the firm or agency is horrible, only to learn that every place is similar. Practicing law is not what anyone seems to expect it to be. Once they discover it is mostly the same everywhere, they either find a place with subtle differences that is more to their liking, or move on to some other type of work.

However I believe, based on my expereince interviewing, that more than half of the people graduating from law school should never have been admitted in the first place. Law schools used to be super selective and weeded out those who were not likely to make it as lawyers. Now it seems that they want to provide a law degree to anyone who can pay, and if they are not really cut out for any form of law/business practice, well that is too bad - they should have figured that out for themselves. Many universities or colleges have added law schools as a profit center. They do nto care whether their graduates are really suited to practice law in any form, they just want the tuition money.

It may be mathematically possible if more of the top graduates end up not practicing law. IN some vocablaries, you are not a "lawyer" unless you are practicing law. In most States (maybe all) you cannot hold yourself out to be a lawyer, unless you are licensed to practice law. Thus, if many of the top students give up the practice and move on to something else while more of the lower tier students stick with it, you can end up with more to the lawyers being from the bottom tier. (Sometimes it certianly appears this is the case).

FBI and CIA hire lots of lawschool graduates for field agents. I nearly went that route. FBI agents are almost always law school, accouting, or engineering graduates. Some go into the miltary too and do not do JAG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities