Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times

Advertisements

The University of Pennsylvania is a private school, not public (Cost is $59,000/year!). Pennsylvania has two flagship schools - University of Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania State University. Although both are considered state affiliated, they are not funded as well as our other State Colleges (Millersville, Kutztown, West Chester, etc) It's a bit confusing, but they're all great colleges. State System of Higher Education Colleges in Pennsylvania | eHow.com

I agree about UNC and NCSU, both are very good, but it is harder to get into UNC Chapel Hill then it is to get into NCSU, Raleigh. I'm thinking the people that live in NC probably know best.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yeah, exactly, and who would have thought the University of Pennsylvania is an Ivy League school from its name? And that the University of Detroit is Jesuit/Catholic?

Let's see, all of the following states, though large, have one and it's named University of (insert state name). That said, these states, to me, have one:
MI, TX, FL, IL, CO, AZ, VA, WA. I think that we can say this because all the disciplines are there, despite claims Michigan State and Texas A&M might be flagships, I don't think they are.

Hahaha yeah with UPenn I never would have known it is an Ivy without REALLY knowing universities. If I had to guess I'd say majority of people would just consider UPenn another state university if they heard the name.

Michigan State is a good school, very good.. but I think it is pretty common knowledge at least around here that University of Michigan is the best one. That being said, MSU can bring just as many opportunities as UMich.

I just found out University of Detroit a school this year because of March madness hahah

Old 03-29-2012, 09:02 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedDegree View Post
UNC is considered as one of the few "Public Ivies." How can it not be a flagship state school? The only way that UNC is not a flagship public school is IF University of Michigan, Univeristy of Virginia or one of the top two UC public schools are located in North Carolina.
UNC is generally considered the flagship, but to echo what Robertployglot was saying NCSU and UNC were set up to do different things. For example NCSU has no Law School and UNC has no school for veterinary medicine. It is also why NCSU's engineering school, and biology/agriculture program blows UNC out of the water, while UNC has the terrific medical school.

Historically they were created to serve 2 different purposes thus why it makes it hard to say which one is really the king.

As I said though UNC is pretty widely viewed as the flagship.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
Sounds like the same deal as Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I am used to 'flagship' meaning singular best in a group. Each state would have one flagship public university.

I don't really understand criteria used to have more than one flagship. Well ranked? Would that ranking be used to compare to other states? Could you just use this link Top Public Schools | Rankings | Top National Universities | US News ?

New York State does not have a "singular best" or "one flagship university".

It has four. They are Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, and Stony Brook.

Someone earlier argued that NY has 5, because he was taking the public portion of Cornell University into consideration.

I've never heard it referred to as a flagship university of SUNY, but either way, NYS does not have one, but at least four universities with the flagship designation.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:27 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
hm i thought uva and william and mary were ranked similarly

Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedDegree View Post
UGA is clearly the flagship school and better overall than GT. What's NCSU? The only school at the UNC level in NC is Duke, which is a private school.

Purdue and IU is interesting combination, but Purdue is clearly better though, not only nationally, but also internationally.

Even in CA, Berkeley is clearly better than UCLA, just like Stanford is clearly better than Berkeley.
My thoughts:

1) UGA may be the flagship in that GT is more of a niche school. UGA will get higher marks when engineering kicks in and the population of GA grows, thus raising the average GPA and SAT score. It is not THAT tough to get into UGA. GT, on the other hand, is hard to get into and is a grind. It's a world-class engineering school.

2) Again, UNC is clearly more competitive, but does not have engineering, architecture, and stuff like that that NCSU does. It was set up for more vocational paths. Duke doesn't enter into the equation, because it's a Southern Ivy. For some reason, I think that the name public Ivy has actually been assigned only to the University of Virginia, and other schools want to "share" that claim. (Since I was denied admission for a grad program at UVa, I'm a t-shirt, baseball cap, and coffee mug alum. It took me a while to make peace with this. LOL).

3) Purdue and IU are split, much the way that UNC/NCSU are. Purdue is another world-class engineering school, but surprisingly, the admit stats are not as rigorous as one might think. Indiana is an easy-admit, unlike UNC.

4) Yes, Berkeley IS the mother campus of the UC system and, if we had to distill it to ONE flagship, it IS Berkeley. I don't think it's leaps and bounds over UCLA, though. Their undergrad admit rate is 25% at both...a way different world from when the UC system had a guaranteed admit formula. Still, I'd hire the down-to-earth person from UCLA before the eccentric from Berkeley, all other things being equal. Berkeley has that "reputation" it can't shake, LOL. Again, Stanford is in a league with Harvard, and out of the equation.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:48 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

2) Again, UNC is clearly more competitive, but does not have engineering, architecture, and stuff like that that NCSU does. It was set up for more vocational paths. Duke doesn't enter into the equation, because it's a Southern Ivy. For some reason, I think that the name public Ivy has actually been assigned only to the University of Virginia, and other schools want to "share" that claim. (Since I was denied admission for a grad program at UVa, I'm a t-shirt, baseball cap, and coffee mug alum. It took me a while to make peace with this. LOL).
Actually it was based on Richard Moll's book. Originally it was William and Mary, Miami University(Ohio) the UC system, U of Michigan, UNC, UT Austen, U of Vermont and U of Virginia.

Honestly though I think it is kind of silly since Ivies are Ivies and there really are no substitutes.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:53 PM

434 posts, read 684,625 times
flagship means the original institutions from which the state university system grew, so usually that means the first, e.g., UC Berkeley is California's flagship university.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:02 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Actually it was based on Richard Moll's book. Originally it was William and Mary, Miami University(Ohio) the UC system, U of Michigan, UNC, UT Austen, U of Vermont and U of Virginia.

Honestly though I think it is kind of silly since Ivies are Ivies and there really are no substitutes.
Thank you. I said what I said because I've only read it in a description of UVa.

Regardless, only 3 of these schools wow me, even though the others are clearly good:
1. UVa - for its historical legacy
2. Berkeley - I think there is a term "the Berkeley mystique" - when you walk through there, you can still sense a weird mix of rigor and rebellion
3. U of M - that it's that good, and the admission rate is still reasonable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities