Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:21 PM

2,234 posts, read 5,465,460 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about a general curve but a personal favor, if you will. It happened to me once. I'm not sure what I would have gotten, but I'm thinking it must have been about 1 grade below the grade the professor posted. She knew I needed the grade, though. I've heard some professors don't like failing students and will give a student who tries at least a C, but I think this is rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 10:28 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,251,747 times
Yes. Though not from failing, D or C level. We employed + and - in our grades. I have been bumped up if I trended upward during the semester. Over a LONG educational trek, it has happened 2 or 3 times.

I had a difficult grad school course from a foreign professor. It HAD to be graded on the curve. I'll never forget the scores on a mid-term. The prof was pi$$ed. The highest was an 87 and the next highest score was mine, a 76. There were a bunch of people who got 20s, 30s, and 40s. What he said, though out of disgust, was actually funny: "I don't know what many of you are doing in this class...maybe you are transient or tourist." Everyone was looking at each other..."it's a core requirement, that's what everyone was doing there."

Old 04-01-2012, 08:40 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,311,556 times
Yes.

In one class in my first semester, I failed every test, missed half of the homeworks. Then at the end of the semester, my course grade ended up as a "B". I did do good on one of the assignments though and "Class Participation" made up like 30% of the class so pretty much everybody got a huge boost.

Check your Syllabus. Sometimes Attendance, Class Participation and other things that require little-no effort would actually give you a nice boost.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:13 AM

4,824 posts, read 6,829,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yes. Though not from failing, D or C level. We employed + and - in our grades. I have been bumped up if I trended upward during the semester. Over a LONG educational trek, it has happened 2 or 3 times.

I had a difficult grad school course from a foreign professor. It HAD to be graded on the curve. I'll never forget the scores on a mid-term. The prof was pi$$ed. The highest was an 87 and the next highest score was mine, a 76. There were a bunch of people who got 20s, 30s, and 40s. What he said, though out of disgust, was actually funny: "I don't know what many of you are doing in this class...maybe you are transient or tourist." Everyone was looking at each other..."it's a core requirement, that's what everyone was doing there."
My son was a math education major who only received 2 C's during his college years. One of them was from a foreign teacher who was brilliant at her subject, but spoke english with a heavy accent. Bad enough that it was one of the toughest classes in the math department, but when you can't understand what the professor was saying, it's doubly tough.

My son lived in her office to try to get the material. He needed a C or he would have to retake the class. After the final, he was home for the summer when the grades were posted. Fearing that he didn't achieve the grade, he checked on the website daily for his grade. When he got his C, I witnessed the dance of true happiness. Snoopy from the Peanuts comics couldn't match it.

He's sure that he didn't quite achieve the grade, but the professor recognized all the effort that he put into passing this class and gave him the extra grade boost. He found out talking to classmates that lots of others didn't make the grade.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:28 AM

2,234 posts, read 5,465,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Yes.

In one class in my first semester, I failed every test, missed half of the homeworks. Then at the end of the semester, my course grade ended up as a "B". I did do good on one of the assignments though and "Class Participation" made up like 30% of the class so pretty much everybody got a huge boost.
So class participation etc. was 30% of the grade? Well, then you grade wasn't bumped up individually, was it ? That's what I'm talking about. Like the one person in the other thread who "looked pretty" in the first row and pulled off a better grade, supposedly because of that - or whatever it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

My son lived in her office to try to get the material. He needed a C or he would have to retake the class.
That's what I would probably tell people, too. Go to every single office hour they have and you might be able to pull off a passing grade when you actually failed. I think that's even more likely when the class isn't for your major. Like math or physics or biology for computer science etc.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:43 AM

5,004 posts, read 12,316,494 times
Once perhaps.

But it was a hyper-specialized class taught be a world-renowned professor who had had multiple breakthroughs in the field. There were 9 students in the class.

Whenever you have something like this, the prof usually fits in one of two buckets.

1) S/He intimately understands it at a level where he can "dumb it down" to those just learning it
2) S/He is a total genius who just "gets it"

You are lucky if you have #1, because you will likely get to understand it.

Unfortunately, I had #2. Usually geniuses who "get" their field are terrible at communicating their understanding because they can't articulate it. To give an idea on how bad the professor was at teaching the material, even the TA got a 50% on the exam, and he was the highest grade. One student got a whopping 0%. Nothing right. I was in the middle.

So it wasn't just me, but I think he gave everyone a D when in reality everyone flunked, except this one student who was his PhD direct student.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,609,751 times
Once maybe... statistics class... I used to come in last minute and have to go all the way to the front of the auditorium. I had roughly calculated my grade and I was a borderline B territory. I took the final, did OK, but didn;t know my grade. I found the professor, talked to him and explained I looked ot appear to be borderline B territory and I felt I did ok on the final, didn't slam dunk it and if he could tell me what I got. He asked me my name, he then said if you are borderline, you will get the grade you want, I saw you every day coming down and sitting in the front. (I am 6'5" 300 lbs, so I stick out)

I got a B. Not sure if it was on my own accord or some help, but felt good.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,573 posts, read 57,515,730 times
Yes, when .01 pt off GPA 'thresh-hold', and final class in Master's program. (not pass / fail range, but detrimental to 'entire-program' GPA)

Thx !! (I'm sure prof felt much better...)

Old 04-02-2012, 11:05 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,030,236 times
I did poorly on a history test my freshman year, and made an appointment to see the professor in her office. When I arrived, she looked angry after hanging up the phone. I proceeded to ask her what I can do to improve my grade. She looked over my test, and gave me two options.

The first option was to attend a study group for a month, and the grade on the next test would replace the one I performed poorly on.

The second option was easier. She began to tell me that she knows the way I look at her in class, and that she knows I am attracted to her. I immediately begin to blush, as she was quite right. The the professor tells me she will change my grade right now if I orally pleasure her. I am stunned, and can't believe what is happening. She then gently tells me to come closer, and I do. She thrusts me head downward and the rest is....history.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:15 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,251,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I did poorly on a history test my freshman year, and made an appointment to see the professor in her office. When I arrived, she looked angry after hanging up the phone. I proceeded to ask her what I can do to improve my grade. She looked over my test, and gave me two options.

The first option was to attend a study group for a month, and the grade on the next test would replace the one I performed poorly on.

The second option was easier. She began to tell me that she knows the way I look at her in class, and that she knows I am attracted to her. I immediately begin to blush, as she was quite right. The the professor tells me she will change my grade right now if I orally pleasure her. I am stunned, and can't believe what is happening. She then gently tells me to come closer, and I do. She thrusts me head downward and the rest is....history.
Movie scene...or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities