U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2012, 05:45 PM

372 posts, read 456,070 times
Default While you were partying

Been meaning to write this. So a few months ago I got my BA and that quality american college education. I was a transfer student, from a large 30,000+ school to a small school in a big city (see location). It has some reputable departments but nationally not well know. I was *** laude at graduation in december. I did college in 4 years, had help from parents but can carry my own now.

I now have 3 jobs, one is managerial (marketing, logistics, sales), the other is a side job for a start-up non profit that can just now afford to pay me (2 years ago formed). I also have a tourist gig on some weekends (more because I wanted the money and it's 180 from my day job, more face to face interaction).

Bottom line that all three jobs required hours and hours of volunteer time and learning new skills that i started in soph/junior year. For example, I jumped into social media while i was doing another internship!)

Oh and I'm not a business major, but did take more than half a dozen business classes. Oh and I failed a class freshman year, but only because it was my morning class, and I would tell that to anyone. I use, hear, speak spanish in miami everyday, especially at two of my jobs...I'm not of latin origin either.

Smart work, not hard work. But don't be lazy.

Last edited by amIayankee?; 04-02-2012 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 06:25 PM

3,525 posts, read 1,445,871 times
Anyone who finished college has a similar story.

Hell, I had no help from my family, in fact I propped them up for a time. Had a job...and went through an internship...etc etc.

Also partied hard virtually every weekend.

And I'm a lazy sob to boot.

Funny how your education turned you into worker bee.

Mine revealed to me that I better be focusing on what's important in life, otherwise I'll end up a nobody, as many have before me.

Interesting how two different people can have vastly different experiences, lol

Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 PM

372 posts, read 456,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Anyone who finished college has a similar story.

Hell, I had no help from my family, in fact I propped them up for a time. Had a job...and went through an internship...etc etc.

Also partied hard virtually every weekend.

And I'm a lazy sob to boot.

Funny how your education turned you into worker bee.

Mine revealed to me that I better be focusing on what's important in life, otherwise I'll end up a nobody, as many have before me.

Interesting how two different people can have vastly different experiences, lol
Um, I did plenty of partying in college and high school. I think being able to live alone in a place like miami... and you say people don't party in miami? People party on boats every weekend in miami. I make sales half naked from balcony i'm ok

I'm saying a lot of graduates aren't finding jobs because they didn't really plan for the future. I'm not letting this downturn affect me

Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,505,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIayankee? View Post
Um, I did plenty of partying in college and high school.
I did NOT party in college. I went to parties, saw some people I knew, had the obligatory beer (bleh) and left. I had a great time, though, doing stuff with a few friends instead....the beach, skiing, movies, restaurants, road trips to places like San Diego or Santa Barbara, camping, going to the mountains, going to the deserts...and even longer road trips during summer. I don't regret doing it that way.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:23 PM

1,957 posts, read 2,237,827 times
cool story. i know many individuals who partied 4 nights of the week in college yet still have way better jobs than i do now. they were smart and they also made connections.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:44 AM

9,856 posts, read 7,556,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIayankee? View Post
Been meaning to write this. So a few months ago I got my BA and that quality american college education. I was a transfer student, from a large 30,000+ school to a small school in a big city (see location). It has some reputable departments but nationally not well know. I was *** laude at graduation in december. I did college in 4 years, had help from parents but can carry my own now.

I now have 3 jobs, one is managerial (marketing, logistics, sales), the other is a side job for a start-up non profit that can just now afford to pay me (2 years ago formed). I also have a tourist gig on some weekends (more because I wanted the money and it's 180 from my day job, more face to face interaction).

Bottom line that all three jobs required hours and hours of volunteer time and learning new skills that i started in soph/junior year. For example, I jumped into social media while i was doing another internship!)

Oh and I'm not a business major, but did take more than half a dozen business classes. Oh and I failed a class freshman year, but only because it was my morning class, and I would tell that to anyone. I use, hear, speak spanish in miami everyday, especially at two of my jobs...I'm not of latin origin either.

Smart work, not hard work. But don't be lazy.
So you just wanted to get an ego boost from bragging online? Got it.

Good job champ.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:41 AM

159 posts, read 100,431 times
I think this is a good story, i have an associates in business with a handful of junior business classes thrown in. I am still trying to go back but if I can brush up on some skills then that would be cool as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities