Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 04:13 PM

130 posts, read 365,421 times

Advertisements

i have recently decided to go back to school for my BBA and i am having a hard time choosing between Management and Marketing. I do like thinking and brainstorming but i also like the idea of running projects and delegating tasks. im not really strong in math and when i looked at the syllabi, project management amd production management have some math as well as a finance class that i plan on taking. I really dont want to fail but i am scared about the math. the things that i saw off the top of my head were things sucks as quantitative models b c and d as well as linear programming scattergrams and histograms. So am i overthinking this and stick with management? or should i change to something more creative such as marketing?

ps. i dont know if it is true but i read somewhere that the marketing degree doesnt allow much room for advancement . is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 04:20 PM

310 posts, read 1,024,413 times
What type of career are you currently in? This might indicate what you should do. I've honestly never seen the value of a marketing degree. It seems like that the most people who do it can't find jobs, unless they are the commission sales type...very sketchy.

Also, management is considered a bit of a soft major...but I think it's better than marketing. I've found my management classes much more useful. It's actually the only class that has actually helped me in interviews.

I am in an operations management/production management program right now. There is a lot of math, so unless you have an inclination towards it, I wouldn't do it. According to my advisor, many people in the program switch because the math is tough.

But do you think you can do the math? It's not that bad...just takes a lot of work.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Can't you do both or design your own major? I don't think there's a lot of math, such as calculus. You might see statistics, but that's algebraic, for the most part.

With about 6 free electives, you could do 3 and 3 from each topical area. Management and marketing are both soft majors, both conceptual and lacking in technical skills.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 PM

4,618 posts, read 4,885,665 times
I'm a little biased, as my MBA's concentration is in operations/production management. Management can be VERY math/stats based. Or it can be totally fluff (HR Mgmt). I did have to take about 3 stats classes, and no real math, as grad level math is wicked hard and WAY beyond what is needed in business.

My undergrad degree in Architecture needed a whole lot more math than any business degree. And architecture needs nothing compared to any hard science or engineering.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:19 PM

632 posts, read 1,179,747 times
If you're referring to management as in operations management or supply chain management, then I would recommend this over marketing. What I have noticed in college is many students mistake marketing to be where you sit in a room and brainstorm new ideas on how to market products and what not. Although this may be true, all the opportunities I see in marketing are mostly sales and that's it.

SCM/operations is heavy in Excel and you have to be able to manipulate formulas and crunch data and make it meaningful and presentable. I wouldn't worry so much about the math as I imagine you've taken Calculus courses. As far as I know, basic math and stats are involved in SCM but nothing too hardcore.

In short, SCM/Operations Management >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Marketing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities