U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 PM

466 posts, read 412,216 times

Advertisements

For example, is a bachelors in history equivalent to a high school diploma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 PM

1,043 posts, read 866,808 times
No it's not equivalent to a high school diploma... Seriously, where do people come up with this stuff?

A bachelors degree, no matter the degree type, requires advanced training past high school. There is still much value in that. As for the demand for the bachelors degree, that all depends on the type of degree and the job market.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:50 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,073,099 times
What do you mean by "equal"? Please be more specific.

Any college degree will be higher status than a High School Diploma.

If you're talking in terms of employment prospects, most Associates Degrees in Liberal Arts alone will do absolutely nothing to increase your job prospects; BUT it will still be technically above and more advanced than a High School diploma. As for a Bachelors in History, you technically could find employment but more and more schools are requiring your Masters Degree to teach. But again, it's still at a higher level than a High School Diploma (and Associates Degree).

Old 04-24-2012, 07:48 AM

5,183 posts, read 5,296,228 times
Sure. People go to college to pick up another high school diploma.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:15 PM

6,628 posts, read 5,884,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Sure. People go to college to pick up another high school diploma.
LOL - seems legit.

smh

Old 04-24-2012, 02:30 PM

914 posts, read 707,429 times
I think some degrees are lesser paid than others .For instance,on TODAY it gave a list of higher paying degrees and lower paying ...the history degree is one of them that was at the bottom.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:48 PM

21,248 posts, read 16,902,757 times
In certain contexts, sure... a BA in history is no better than a HS diploma. But that's only in those contexts. For example, a BA in History is useless at a car manufacturing plant.

But it's silly to say that they are equivalent in all contexts.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 PM

466 posts, read 412,216 times
I should have explained better, I'm talking about how much someone would be paid with a college degree vs one with a high school diploma if they're doing the same job, yet the person with the college degree has been doing the same job for a year while the person with the high school diploma just got hired on. Also throwing in that the person with the college degree is 5 years older, has more work experience than the person with the high school diploma who just got hired, who has not proved to anyone that he/she can do the work, and just got out of high school.

Would that scenario deem the bachelors degree the person has useless compared to a high school diploma?

Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 PM

5,507 posts, read 5,725,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
I should have explained better, I'm talking about how much someone would be paid with a college degree vs one with a high school diploma if they're doing the same job, yet the person with the college degree has been doing the same job for a year while the person with the high school diploma just got hired on. Also throwing in that the person with the college degree is 5 years older, has more work experience than the person with the high school diploma who just got hired, who has not proved to anyone that he/she can do the work, and just got out of high school.

Would that scenario deem the bachelors degree the person has useless compared to a high school diploma?
There can't be any widespread conclusions made based on your specific example.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 PM

6,925 posts, read 9,215,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post

Depends on the job. Many positions require a college degree -- any kind of degree. A high school diploma won't get you ANY money there. Some don't matter. Flipping burgers at Mickey Ds doesn't require a degree and won't pay a college graduate any more than high school drop out, but they might pay a little more based on seniority or experience on the fry table.

Sorry, I can't give you an answer. I don't think anyone else can either.

I once had a typesetter working for me who had a masters in psychology and a bachelors in English. She got paid near minimum wage, just like the high school graduate sitting next to her. (Actually, she got paid a little more, but only because she'd been there longer.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities